Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, screenwriters! I’m new here and wanting to learn more about the screenwriting community.

I am part of the Page Turner Awards team, and we have a really exciting Screenplay Award this year. The judging panel features lots of high-profile film producers who are looking for work to option and includes Paul Michael Glaser of Starsky and Hutch!

We’ve started a screenwriting forum on our website, where screenwriters can connect and collaborate. We want to make this useful for screenwriting community, so perhaps you can help with some of the questions.

What advice would you give to writers who are looking to turn their novel into a screenplay? What courses/webinars can you recommend for an aspiring screenwriter? What award prizes would be most valuable to you and your career development?

Thanks for your help and looking forward to meeting you.

Regards

Charlotte

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Not sure that you'll find many screenwriters on here, but who knows?. I'd say the site was predominantly for authors of books which is a whole different discipline. For one thing, if you can't get a screenplay in the hands of a producer, you can't exactly publish it to make money as we authors do with our books.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for your message.

Yes, our awards have lots of options for writers and authors, and this year we've added the Screenplay Award as a separate award, so just trying to find out if many people have ever thought of turning a novel into a screenplay, or have much experience in this area. A bit of market research really!

The judging panel for our Screenplay Award is mostly made up of producers actively looking for work to option, so there's lots of opportunity to get it into the hands of the right people.

If you have any advice you'd kindly share with our writers/screenwriters, let me know!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I made a start on the first book of my latest trilogy, but it's a whole new ball game, As someone new to trying it, and checking out a host of youtube screenplay videos, even if I put it together using the right software to format it to industry standard, it would cost too much to produce for a an unknown as it would involve too many different locations and a tremendous amount of digital work to create the disaster scenes. Condensing a 90,000 word book to the few pages that a screenplay takes up, is no easy task for a novice. If I were to try it again, it wouldn't be on one of my books, but a fresh idea, within a single location.

The other thing is it is likely your book would need to be a bestseller to create interest with producers, but then they'd likely buy the rights and sub it to a professional screenwriter.

The most beneficial part for me was learning to condense the story to a one sentence pitch, which helped me to create tag lines for my books.

The other thing watching the videos helped me with was to change my first chapter to one where I had the MC in their normal setting, but with some foreshadowing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your great advice, Decon!
This is really useful and gives us some start points and perspectives to help support those novelists who may want to try turning books into screenplays.
We've actually shared some articles on our website in the hope this might help some writers in turning their work into film. You're welcome to take a look here and see what you think - Adapting Books To Screenplays | Page Turner Awards

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Thanks for your great advice, Decon!
This is really useful and gives us some start points and perspectives to help support those novelists who may want to try turning books into screenplays.
We've actually shared some articles on our website in the hope this might help some writers in turning their work into film. You're welcome to take a look here and see what you think - Adapting Books To Screenplays | Page Turner Awards
Great site with some useful information on writng a screenpay for your book. I've joined, so thanks for the link. I might just have a dabble at writing a screenplay for something I started as a novel outside my genre, but ditched it, though the idea is till there. Is it best to set in in the UK or the US, I could do either. It's set in a senior/high school.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, Decon!

Great, so glad you found those articles useful. It would be great if you could turn that idea into a screenplay, how exciting! Hopefully the tips I shared are a good place to help you start. Good luck with it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts