Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still looking at all of my gaming options. 

These questions are for those who own a Wii. 

First, what is your overall impression?  Is it worth the money (I ask because some regret buying it, sell it later, etc.).  I realize the graphics aren't as good as PS3/Xbox 360, but I know that there are more family-friendly games, etc. 

Second, how do you find the interactivity?  Is the remote overly sensitive?  Is the new remote accessory (coming out in June) supposed to fix any of those issues? 

Third, have you downloaded any of the older games available online (such as those for SNES, Nintendo 64, etc.)?  If so, do you just store them on a memory card?  How much room do they take? 

Thanks for the input. 

As I said, I'm exploring my options.  I know I asked about PS3/360 earlier, but I just came to the realization that I could buy a brand new Wii and a refurbished PS2 for the same price as buying one PS3 that I wanted.  LOL

·
Registered
530 Posts
In addition to my PS3 and XBox360 we also have a Wii. It is great as a console game that makes you get up and move. Overall the games are fun and highly interactive.

That being said, the games that are out for the Wii are not really my type of games. My husband is very fond of the Wii Fit and those types of games. The Wii is also great for kids since many of the games do not have the blood and gore that is common in many of the other gaming consoles. I got the Wii for my husband a few years ago and honestly, until the Wii Fit came out we didn't play it. In fact, we didn't even realize that the power brick had gone bad after not playing it for over a year.

It is a good and solidly thought out console it is just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I don't own a ps3 or a xbox360, but I do have a wii. Only one member of the family is a gamer, but this console and the many of the games available for it are very popular in my family. Everyone from my four year old cousin to my great uncle plays the wii. My friends and I play games like  Rayman and the Rabit Rabbits 2&3, rock band, and guitar hero. My brother and mom are into the Wii fit. Meanwhile dad and his brother play golf and tennis on the wii. If you are looking for a console with a lot of multiplayer games for family time or just a good time with some friends.  My family and some of my friends have Wii parties from time to time. It was a great investment for my family.

I won't say the the remote is overly sensitive. I don't know if it was in the beginning, but I have no uses with it now.

The Wii is able to use Game Cube games. So you may/maynot be able to find some old games you like that depends.

·
Registered
208 Posts
we have a wii with the wii fit console.  We were given a sony gaming console with some games but we don't use that at all.

I like the wii because it is addictive and interactive.  Other than reading I can't be still and couldn't get into tv or computer games.

We have the wii, wii fit and the game outdoor challenge game that comes with a mat you use to jump and run.  It is by far the kids favorite game.  The adults like it too, but it hurts us.

We have enjoyed it.  We have used it with as young as a four year old and as old as an 78 year old.  We did add additional remotes and remote chargers.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the input.

Has anybody gone on to the Nintendo store and downloaded any of the older console games to the Wii?  I'm interested in that gameplay and the process. 

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
My husband went out to the Shopping Channel and downloaded the Nintendo 64 Paper Mario.  It's cheesy graphics and there is no text smoothing, so it's kinda hard to read.  But he really enjoys playing it.  He did have to get the other controllers to play the older games - the wii-mote doesn't work.
Speaking as a non-gamer, I am able to use the wii-mote much better than any other type of controller.  I don't do so well with multiple buttons and toggles and things.  It's more intuitive for me to swing the remote to hit a tennis or golf ball.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I haven't downloaded any games, but I did look around in the store.  You have to have your Wii connected to your home network, of course, and you also have to buy a Wii Card, or Wii Points, or something like that.  They should sell them anywhere that sells Wii games.  I think it's 1000 points = $1.  You also need to get the classic controller to play most, if not all, downloaded games, I think.  I'm not sure if the GameCube controllers work with them or not.

I love my Wii, but I'm a Nintendo girl all the way.  I dislike graphic, violent games, and I love the Mario and Zelda franchises, which are only available for Nintendo.  It's a great console if you're looking for something that the whole family will enjoy, and it's a huge hit for parties.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
mwvickers said:
First, what is your overall impression? Is it worth the money (I ask because some regret buying it, sell it later, etc.). I realize the graphics aren't as good as PS3/Xbox 360, but I know that there are more family-friendly games, etc.
I love it. No regrets here whatsoever.

Second, how do you find the interactivity? Is the remote overly sensitive? Is the new remote accessory (coming out in June) supposed to fix any of those issues?
Remote works really well, but of course, it depends on the game too.

The new Motion+ add-on sounds great. It will be a definite upgrade. One company said it's too good, too accurate - if that makes any sense.

Third, have you downloaded any of the older games available online (such as those for SNES, Nintendo 64, etc.)? If so, do you just store them on a memory card? How much room do they take?
Yep. I have tons of Virtual Console games and one WiiWare game so far. I love them. You can now play them all from an SD card - an option that wasn't available until recently - and you can now finally use SD cards that are higher than 2 GB. (Though, I have only a 2 GB card and there's still tons of space left.)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have to agree with everyone above.  It is a great family game.  The boys love it when we play Boom Blox or Rock Band with them.
Outdoor challenge is my 4 year old's favorite thing, and loves to beat his mommy! :-[
DH likes the very basic "Tank" game on Wii play.

It really depends on what type of gamer you are.  My older nephews who are more into Call of Duty or Halo, don't think much of the Wii at all.  (They will play it when they come over to babysit and seem to enjoy themselves too! :))

Haven't tried to download anything yet.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My dad, age 73, and my sister, 41 and wheelchair bound, and lives with my dad, bought over a year ago.  It has been the best thing ever for both of them, but especially for my sister.  My dad is pretty active anyway, but this helps for activity in the winter. 
It has been amazing for my sister.  It increased the strength in her arms.  I used to have a hard time getting her chair up and down the van ramp.  Her strength has increased and she can help so much more. 
I got them Mario Kart for Christmas hoping it would help with her depth perception.  She is getting much better at the game, and she also doesn't run into the walls in the hall in her wheelchair near as often. 
deb

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have had a Wii for about 2 years and love it. I initially bought it to have at the lake house so the gkids would have something to do when we couldn't go out on the lake. It has been such a big hit with the family (all ages) that my kids now all have them at their own homes. Even my mom likes to play! Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought one last summer when the Dr. told my son he had to loose 100lbs.  We wanted him to get active, but with it 110 F. outside.....
He used it for about a month and was dripping sweat every time, then lost interest.. Hes 16, back to halo and call of duty.  I actually use it alot, for the exercise.  I'm not going to a gym, and its already in the triple digits here.  It has some reallyy active games, where you get a workout, but dont really realize it till the next day when you FEEL it!  I agree with the others, its a great group interactive game.  It seems like every one loves it, except teenage boys.  Also, when some of my family invited themselves to visit, the Wii distracted everyone enough to forgo the mandatory arguing and fighting.  Payed for its self that night!  When my husband played the wii sports boxing the first time, he had so much fun that I had to make him quit 4 hours later.  He payed for it for the next week.  The only problem Ive found is that games that were not made for the wii specifically, dont translate very well to the wii controllers.  To avoid buy a bunch of games that didn't really respond well, I joined gamefly (netflix for video games).  We never bought Call of Duty or any of those, because this was suppose to be for active games, and Jr already has them for xbox, so I cant tell you how well those work.  If your into graphics, and those kind of games, dont get a wii, if you want something the whole family can enjoy, dont hesitate.  I advrage 3 hrs a day on days off.  Then I go straight to my Kindle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
we have a ps2, a ps3 and a wii.  I luuuuuurve the wii!  my dh loves the wii, we take it to family gatherings and my 70-yr-old mom kicks my butt in golf and bowling.  my cousins and their kids love the wii and we enjoy playing the games together.  it really feels like you're playing tennis, bowling, etc. - it's very responsive and feels natural.  in short, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
We love ours and we have bought online games from the wii shop channel ect. IIRC it will tell you how much memory it takes up in the description before you purchase.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Okay this is what we have in our home:

Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Gameboy
Gameboy color
Nintendo Nano
Nintendo Gamecube
DS
DS Lite
DSi
Wii
Wii Fit (I forgot this one earlier...oops!)

Xbox 360

Playstation
Playstation2
Playstation3
PSP

Atari

An arcade game(like the ones at the bowling alleys)...too that comes with classic games.

Wii is our favorite so far, along with the DSi.  It's easy to download the games...we downloaded a lot of them.  Mostly the original Mario Bros games and Donkey Kongs. 

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Rasputina said:
We love ours and we have bought online games from the wii shop channel ect. IIRC it will tell you how much memory it takes up in the description before you purchase.
This no longer matters. With the latest firmware update, you can play all of those games from an SD card now. (If you have the SD Card Channel, you have the latest update.)

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
There are two technology items that I unashamedly promote:
The Kindle - surprise!
And the Wii - but for the FIT.
The basic games and sports packages are clever and fun.
Some others are good but they are just as good on other consoles. Shooters and RPG are (in my opinon) better on PS2/3 and Xbox.

BUT THE FIT.

This is something well thought out, well engineered and well executed.
I like free weights and using your own body - such as pushups, crunches etc.
But the Fit gets you to improve your core muscles and balance.
And that can be easy if you need it to be or strenuous if you can take it.
I think this is fab.
Just sayin......

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I got Wii Fit about 2 weeks ago and it is an awesome addition to our Wii game collection! I had been using the Dance, Dance Revolution for a good workout, but this is so much better.

I don't play the action type games (Star Wars, Zelda, etc), but my DD who has both Wii and PS2 says that Wii is easier. I prefer the games made for Wii.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
CS said:
This no longer matters. With the latest firmware update, you can play all of those games from an SD card now. (If you have the SD Card Channel, you have the latest update.)
Nice to know, I have been stuck on 1 game for awhile so I haven't even looked anywhere else on the wii in ages LOL

1 - 20 of 204 Posts