Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have lots of authors here and people who are experienced with the technical side of the Kindle, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

No, I don't have a book of my own to publish (I wish), but someone has asked me to look into publishing something for them on the Kindle.

My questions:

- Is publishing a book on Amazon as easy as creating a Mobi file with Mobipocket Creator and then uploading it to Amazon along with a description, cover, etc.?

- Either way, how do I create a linkable Table of Contents with Mobipocket Creator? I can't figure it out.

- Also, is there any easy way to edit text and images in a Mobi file? Mobipocket Creator doesn't seem to have those options, or I appear to be missing them somehow.

- As for publishing through Amazon, is there any way I can see how the file will look without actually purchasing the book? Even if/when I do purchase it (and I will), I'd have no access to future revisions of that book if I need to make any changes (I'm hoping I wouldn't have to revise anything after, but just in case, I thought I'd ask).

- Any other general tips/tricks/facts I should know about? I want everything to look good right out of the gate.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,762 Posts
CS said:
- Is publishing a book on Amazon as easy as creating a Mobi file with Mobipocket Creator and then uploading it to Amazon along with a description, cover, etc.?
You need an account on Mobipocket to publish. If you publish a book on Mobipocket and select Amazon.com as an approved merchant your book will appear in the Kindle Store without any more effort on your part. If you do not approve Amazon as a merchant and want your book on Amazon.com you will need a Digital Text Platform account. The process, unlike Mobipocket which uses desktop software, is all web based. Formatting is much more difficult. Several of our resident authors have written helpful books and we have at least two members that will help you for a fee.

CS said:
- Either way, how do I create a linkable Table of Contents with Mobipocket Creator? I can't figure it out.
The original HTML file used to create your book needs to have tag lines at each TOC entry point (First, Second or Third level). Then in Mobipocket Creator you simply select the wizard and fill in the values. Clicking the generate button will create a new TOC file in HTML format.

Tag name Attribute Value
First Level: class title
Second Level: h2
Third Level: div class heading3

CS said:
- Also, is there any easy way to edit text and images in a Mobi file? Mobipocket Creator doesn't seem to have those options, or I appear to be missing them somehow.
There is no way. The text and images must be ready for publishing before they are imported.

CS said:
- As for publishing through Amazon, is there any way I can see how the file will look without actually purchasing the book? Even if/when I do purchase it (and I will), I'd have no access to future revisions of that book if I need to make any changes (I'm hoping I wouldn't have to revise anything after, but just in case, I thought I'd ask).
There is a previewer in the DTP interface that is now quite good. Viewing revisions is problematic. The only way I know to do it is to get a refund from Amazon and then buy the book again.

CS said:
- Any other general tips/tricks/facts I should know about? I want everything to look good right out of the gate.
Hire a pro.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Be aware that with Mobipocket, you have to register as a publisher. They won't pay royalties until you have accumulated $150 in your account, which, with one book, could take awhile.

Joshua Tallent is a member here. He has a new book out on Kindle formatting. His website also has lots of hints. www.kindleformatting.com



L
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top