Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I have some questions I am wondering about. I do not yet own a Kindle but I am considering buying one. So any answers will be awesome.

1 - Kindle Store, do I HAVE to have a payment plan attached? So if I have no payment plan attached I will not be able to download new books, I am okay with that. I don't have a credit card (still a teenager xD) and most of my books I buy with like visa gift cards family members give me.

2 - Should I wait until Kindle 2 comes out before ordering? Or if I order more will it automatically become Kindle 2?

3 - I read that there is no backlight. I like that for sunny days when reading, but when on road trips or something my family usually travels at night and I cannot sleep when traveling will it be readable? Or will I have to buy a light?

4 - I have some eBooks of Twilight, some classics like Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy etc on my computer, will they work on Kindle?

5 - Does Kindle have like an Word program for when I need to type an essay I can use the Kindle to do it and transfer it to my PC later?

6 - Can you email from the kindle? If so what is the price?

7 - Can you browse the internet from the kindle? If so what is the price?

8 - Anything else I should know? Please tell me. ^_^

·
Registered
788 Posts
1. The Kindle has to be purchased with a credit card in your name (or in this case, in your parents name) purchases for books will be charged on that card too, although your parents could buy you an amazon.com gift card and you could use that by redeeming it in the account that bought the Kindle.

2. There will be a press conference given by Amazon.com on February 9th. Rumor has it that they will be announcing Kindle 2.0. You might want to wait until then if it matters to you.

3. The screen on the Kindle is made of a material known as electronic ink. Unlike LCD screens electronic ink is opaque and cannot be back lit because no light would show through it. However it is very high contrast, and much easier on the eyes than a LCD screen. You would need a light to read at night, yes.

4. If the books were purchased from a retailer, it is likely they have DRM (digital rights management) on them, similar to the protection on mp3s at iTunes. If they are protected files, you will not be able to read them on the Kindle. Kindle reads .txt, .mobi, .prc and .awz (or is it amz?) format, anything else has to be converted into awz format to be read on the Kindle. However Amazon.com will do this for you, you merely e-mail the file to your Kindle.

5. You can annotate your books, but the Kindle is not a PDA. There is no word processor.

I should elaborate, in case I misunderstood your question. If you were to type your homework up on your computer, you could transfer it to your Kindle to read it there. But if you're talking about actually typing up an essay on the Kindle and transferring it to your PC later, that is not possible.

6. I have not tried this, but I assume you can e-mail on the Kindle. Since Whispernet is paid for in the cost of the device, you do not have to pay for e-mail.

7. Web browsing isn't going to look as neat as it would on an iPhone, but yes you can do it and it's free.

8. Lastly, if you're looking for a multi-functional device, the Kindle might not be what you want. It's a very good e-reader, but the Experimental Web Browser is clunky although it works perfectly fine. Also you might want to make sure you have Sprint coverage in your area, because the Whispernet wireless is supplied by Sprint.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
1 - Kindle Store, do I HAVE to have a payment plan attached? So if I have no payment plan attached I will not be able to download new books, I am okay with that. I don't have a credit card (still a teenager xD) and most of my books I buy with like visa gift cards family members give me.

2 - Should I wait until Kindle 2 comes out before ordering? Or if I order more will it automatically become Kindle 2?

3 - I read that there is no backlight. I like that for sunny days when reading, but when on road trips or something my family usually travels at night and I cannot sleep when traveling will it be readable? Or will I have to buy a light?

4 - I have some eBooks of Twilight, some classics like Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy etc on my computer, will they work on Kindle?

5 - Does Kindle have like an Word program for when I need to type an essay I can use the Kindle to do it and transfer it to my PC later?

1. I am still a teen, too. I use my parent's card, but you can use gift cards
2. We don't know the features and the price of the K2, but it all up to you.
3. There is no backlight cuz you wouldn't be able to see the text. Epaper/eink is fairly new technology and features are still being developed. for more information on eink: link
4. That would depend on the format of the books. The kindle supports plain text, .prc, .mobi, and amz formats. Classics like Austen are free on sites like Feedbooks. here's the link to the free book site thread: link
5. You could copy and paste documents to a plain text format [.txt] using a program like notepad from your computer.(i STORE..not create... my class notes, essays, and study guides on my k).
6. You can from what I hear, but it takes a bit of effort. Web browser is currently an experimential feature of the kindle and its free for now.
7. see answer 6
8. hmmmm. Nothing I can think up at the moment, but I am bound to figure something out.

B

·
0 Posts
Aki said:
Hello there. I have some questions I am wondering about. I do not yet own a Kindle but I am considering buying one. So any answers will be awesome.

If you read Leslie's FAQ ("Kindle FAQ" link up in the banner), most of your questions will be answered. But here are some answers:

1 & 2) You cannot order or buy a Kindle unless you have a credit card in your own name.

3) Yes, you'll need a light.

4) It depends on what format they are in.

5) No. That's not its purpose. But you can do it the other way around.

6 & 7) Yes. No extra charge.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
VA is that one of your pictures or have you been been digging around in my photobucket? ;D

Bacardi Jim said:
1 & 2) You cannot order or buy a Kindle unless you have a credit card in your own name.
...or a family member willing to support your habit on their credit card. ;)
I always keep a gift certificate on my account, so there are never any credit card surprises.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Aki said:
There is not a payment plan with the Kindle. You do need a credit, debit, or gift card attached to your account in order to buy books from the amazon Kindle store.

Aki said:
That's up to you, of course. As someone said, amazon is making an announcement about something that may or may not be a new Kindle that may or may not be available in the US on Feb. 9. I seriously doubt that amazon will automatically send you something that you didn't order.

Aki said:
Yes, you need some kind of book light. Most of them can clip right on the cover (either the one that comes with or any of the several third party ones available).

Aki said:
Like others have said, maybe. The Kindle can natively read .prc, .mobi, and .txt, and you can convert .doc, .html, and .pdf (usually) to a compatible format. If any of these have DRM, though, no go. Note that there are many places that you could re-download classics in Kindle-compatible format, for free.

Aki said:
No. You can add notes and things to existing documents, but you can't edit documents inline. Trust me, though, you really don't want to text an essay.

Aki said:

You can marginally use the internet, including web-based email from the Kindle. Mobile and text-only sites will work best on the Kindle. There is one guy on another group claiming that he has been charged $10 for web use, but it hasn't been verified by anyone else.

Aki said:
The Kindle is great if you love to read. Not so great for most other purposes. If what you really need is a netbook, you'll be happier getting that instead.

·
Registered
788 Posts
marianner said:
You can marginally use the internet, including web-based email from the Kindle. Mobile and text-only sites will work best on the Kindle. There is one guy on another group claiming that he has been charged $10 for web use, but it hasn't been verified by anyone else.
From what I hear, the guy claiming to be charged was actually charged for a book he purchased.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
sebat said:
VA is that one of your pictures or have you been been digging around in my photobucket? ;D
::) I'll let you guess.

sebat said:
...or a family member willing to support your habit on their credit card. ;)
I always keep a gift certificate on my account, so there are never any credit card surprises.
lol...just don't get grounded like me. One-click is dangerous...trust me :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
marianner said:
That's kind of what I thought. I hadn't seen a resolution on it yet.
I figure if it's ONE guy complaining, it's either a hoax or a mistake. Call it the cynic in me. If 100 people start complaining, then I'll listen ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Mikuto said:
I figure if it's ONE guy complaining, it's either a hoax or a mistake. Call it the cynic in me. If 100 people start complaining, then I'll listen ;)
The annoying thing about his complaint is that it was pretty much an Amazon slam. . . and he posted it before he'd checked into it with Amazon. However, to be fair, he did explain the error when it was resolved.

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Perhaps the second generation will have a built in light that can be switched on/off for night.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Kind said:
Perhaps the second generation will have a built in light that can be switched on/off for night.
If you are referring to a side light, it could. Then again, my understanding is that most who have the new Sony e-reader have complained about the side light.

To me, a clip on light would work fine. I haven't tried it yet, but I cannot fathom why it wouldn't (depending on the light, I guess). With a normal book, the light may get in the way of the pages as you try to turn it. You don't actually turn pages on the Kindle, so I can't see it interfering.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Kind said:
A side light, perhaps, but that would add bulk to the Kindle AND drain the battery much faster than the E-ink screen does alone. However it is completely impossible to back light the Kindle's screen, because it is opaque, not transparent.

You can do some research about electronic ink/paper here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Mikuto said:
From what I hear, the guy claiming to be charged was actually charged for a book he purchased.
Yes. It was his Amazon Visa bill and he said he was charged for Whispernet and Wiki access. He called customer service and they verified the charge was $9.99 for a book he purchased on Sept 16, 2008.

The charges on the bill don't specify the book title or anything. However, every time you buy a book, you get an email with all the details, so you could print those out and reconcile them with the bill when it comes.

L

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have to at all times have a creditcard attached to my kindle account? Or can I have none at the time and not be able to buy books? I tend to do this with ebooks buy one / remove credit info. I change cards often as I usually pay a family member cash to let me use their card.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts