Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think anyone has tried a marketing idea like this before. I thought it would be fun to try. I've launched the Very Scary 10,000 Sales Challenge for my book Twisted about 24 hours ago on my blog and to my mailing list (which has about 470 subscribers). It could be coincidence, but I've already seen 4 sales of Twisted since it started. I've been averaging 0-1 sales of this book per day.

I've also had three new email list sign ups after a lull of nothing for about a week. Again, it could be coincidence.

Here's my blog entry with a lot more background and detail about what I'm attempting. By the way, reposts and shares are welcome!

https://hollyannehook.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/my-very-scary-10000-book-sales-challenge/

I'll update as things happen (or don't happen.) Like I said, this is completely experimental.

***UPDATE (as of 3/7/15)***

I am now including sales of the second book in the total, so we are up to 123 Sales as of today. Things have really flatlined and gone back to normal in the last week, so I think I'll take your suggestions and add a prize to this Challenge to garner more interest.

I am now giving away a Kindle Fire to those who share the contest and Challenge page online. A couple of you have done this already, so you're entered! I have no way to track most sales to email addresses, so this is the most fair way I could find to make the giveaway work. I've also made a new page for the Very Scary 10,000 Sales Challenge: https://hollyannehook.wordpress.com/introducing-the-very-scary-10000-sales-challenge-and-giveaway-win-a-kindle-fire/

·
Registered
793 Posts
How fun! I love how the challenge ties into your book. I hope it leads to lots and lots of sales, though maybe 9,999. :)

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I think you should add some more challenges in there. Or let your readers set them. You know, like "If I sell 5,000 copies I'll listen to Barry Manilow's entire output on loop for 47 hours solid." Hmm. But then your brain will melt so you'll never write another book. Maybe something else, then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This sounds like an excellent idea. Also, it's hilarious!

I think you may be onto something, though I second Lydniz' idea that you should have a couple more challenges, that way people could share your book with friends and on social media to get you to do some other (crazy) stuff. Perhaps taking an ice-bath at 3000 sold books, or something silly like 'eat ten hot-dogs in under a minute'? Another idea could be to dress up as one of your MC's and do a Q&A or something.

Here's to hoping it goes all the way! (Can't wait to watch the tornado chasing!)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I hate spiders. But you have a great idea and I hope it works. I agree with the other poster that you should add more things to do to keep the excitement up. They could be related (to build the tension) or not.

(For example, the first milestone would be to hold the tarantula, the next one, it crawls on your body or face. The third one could be spider related or something completely different.)

Don't do anything dangerous or it could backfire on you.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You're so going to become a storm chaser :eek: Congrats. lol Better start looking up professional storm chasers and see if you can ride with them.

Update: I reblogged your post, so it just went out to facebook and twitter, too.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Lydniz said:
I think you should add some more challenges in there. Or let your readers set them. You know, like "If I sell 5,000 copies I'll listen to Barry Manilow's entire output on loop for 47 hours solid." Hmm. But then your brain will melt so you'll never write another book. Maybe something else, then.
The horrors...

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's such a fun idea! I agree more challenges spread out along the way might attract more people who enjoy watching you push the limits. (And could lead to even more exposure as you tweet a link to the video of the challenge.)  :D

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I think you have those reversed... I'd rather drive straight into a tornado than have a spider of any size on my face. No matter how many sales!

Keep us uodated. Good thinking outside the box!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts