Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would open a thread about this app, since it's fairly new and I don't think there's been any discussions related to it on KBoards yet (that I was able to find, anyway.)

Anyhow... Radish is an app for serialized fiction. Basically, the way it works (if you get invited, as it selects only what they consider to be 'top quality fiction') is that you upload your manuscript in serial format. Readers then find/discover you (through whatever means) and pay for Radish currency to unlock additional chapters of your manuscript.

Here's what a representative from the company said about the app:

The key to Radish is that we use a 'freemium' model, whereby chapters are only behind a paywall for a set period, usually 7 days. This way, fans who want to read chapters early and support their favourite authors in the process pay a small amount to do so using in-app purchase, and for those who don't they can simply wait until the chapter unlocks. The big advantage is that this is all done within one mobile app platform - users don't need to be directed to multiple sites in order to support authors.

So... my question is: is anyone here an author on Radish?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've heard of them - from what I understand, they're following a model that's very popular in China, where serial fiction can be bought for a tiny price per chapter.

I'd love to know if anyone has experience with Radish and how much the top-earning authors make in a month. I suspect it's still quite small, especially as it's competing with free fiction sites like Wattpad, but it has the potential to grow.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know of a few writers on there, but they aren't making tons of money. I think they thought they could make thousands, but it sounds like pizza money instead.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anna_ said:
I know of a few writers on there, but they aren't making tons of money. I think they thought they could make thousands, but it sounds like pizza money instead.
Reported to the mods for trash talking pizza. Other authors? Sure. Political figures? Oh, absolutely. But pizza? Come on, Anna.

BB

·
Registered
303 Posts
BlouBryant said:
Reported to the mods for trash talking pizza. Other authors? Sure. Political figures? Oh, absolutely. But pizza? Come on, Anna.

BB
I didn't mean to offend pizza. I apologize profusely. I'm a terrible person. Forgive me. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got accepted into Radish two months ago. However, they never followed up with any information on how I can set up my account. I've emailed twice, but got no reply since the initial acceptance email.

Can anyone else get in contact with them?

(To answer an earlier question, they're non-exclusive and are okay with content that is also posted on Wattpad.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just started with them two weeks ago. I've been earning some coins but not a whole lot. I was never expecting to make a bunch of money, just to make use of a completed book I haven't published yet. It's pretty easy to use and they do give you more info once you are accepted.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've been using them for a few months. My permafree gets lots of page reads, and the other books in that series bring in a trickle of cash. Series without permafrees (even the spinoff of the series with permafree) seem to do much less.

Downsides: You have to upload one chapter at a time (copy and paste style). You have to submit an invoice to be paid (although they say that will change soon).

Upsides: A new market. I get the impression the staff are actively working to build up the site and make changes. You can tell how far people read into your books and thus you can get an idea if there's a writing issue preventing read-through.

Right now, Radish probably isn't worth my time --- I've made $150 there over the last five or six months. But it might be worth it later....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
aimeeeasterling said:
I've been using them for a few months. My permafree gets lots of page reads, and the other books in that series bring in a trickle of cash. Series without permafrees (even the spinoff of the series with permafree) seem to do much less.

Downsides: You have to upload one chapter at a time (copy and paste style). You have to submit an invoice to be paid (although they say that will change soon).

Upsides: A new market. I get the impression the staff are actively working to build up the site and make changes. You can tell how far people read into your books and thus you can get an idea if there's a writing issue preventing read-through.

Right now, Radish probably isn't worth my time --- I've made $150 there over the last five or six months. But it might be worth it later....
I hate to be a humbug about what could be an interesting new idea, and I'm not exactly Mr. 9.99 ebook, but this sounds like just another way to give away work for a fraction of the cost at which it could be sold. I understand and often use the argument that, particularly for new writers, exposure may be more important than immediate royalties. However, in a freemium model, there is a high risk that readers will gradually lean toward the free and just wait for the chapters to unlock rather than buying them.

I'm not dependent on my writing income--which is good, since I'd starve if I were--but even so, I'm not sure I want to just fling books out the window and hope somebody catches one who might eventually buy another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts