Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, show of hands! 

I'm thinking about starting a Kindle meetup group in the Raleigh, NC area.  It'd be a place where we could get together, socialize and discuss all things Kindle.  I just thought I'd see how many of you here are in this area and if that's something that you would be interested in joining? 

Thanks in advance for contributing to my research!  ;D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would love to join! now that spring semester is over I can get back to fun reading instead of organic chem and physics! haha Let me know!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
raccemup said:
OK, show of hands!

I'm thinking about starting a Kindle meetup group in the Raleigh, NC area. It'd be a place where we could get together, socialize and discuss all things Kindle. I just thought I'd see how many of you here are in this area and if that's something that you would be interested in joining?

Thanks in advance for contributing to my research! ;D
Holy heck -- you're the lady who got jumped on the Amazon Boards! Wow!

Look, I don't live anywhere near you, but if you have a Paypal account, I'll gladly defray the costs for a month.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Christine! Good luck in setting up your meeting. I think people here will be more receptive to the idea here and work with you on planning and so on. We have a DC group trying to get together, too.

Unfortunately, I'm in Maine so I won't make it to either one.

L

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is such a shame they treated so negatively Christine... I am more than interested now that school is sucking the life out of me :) 

·
Registered
615 Posts
Leslie said:
Welcome, Christine! Good luck in setting up your meeting. I think people here will be more receptive to the idea here and work with you on planning and so on. We have a DC group trying to get together, too.

Unfortunately, I'm in Maine so I won't make it to either one.

L
Well, from what I saw, ONE person was vicious about it w/o reason ('J') and it would be just spectacular if she didn't join the Meetup. Unreal. I'm a member of Meetup and while my groups don't charge us fees, actually, some do. They are in the minority though. However, I've been asked if I'd be willing to start some activities and, no way... TOO MUCH WORK, organizing, coordinating, the responsibility of all those people. So, $2 would not phase me if it helps the organizer with whatever fee is paid Meetup. I don't like the way "J" says $2 for doing 'nothing' - that is just ignorant. But now I have 2 writers there I skip over, and one is 'S' and one is 'J' -- I think both need a lot of attention.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello nice Kindleboarders!  Thanks for the kindness and understanding.  What a breath of fresh air!  lol 

Michelle, your offer is too kind and touched my heart!  I would never be able to accept it though.  But a sincere thanks!!! :)

Yeah, that was a pretty bad experience but if I know there are still other people who want to create a long-term community, and work together as a team to make it successful I'd still be willing to give it a go!  I just said my last peace (piece?) over there about it but basically, I wanted to use meetup because they have a wider audience that I can't reach otherwise, I wanted to create an ongoing community of dedicated members,  AND the fee is there to deter the "crazies" from joining.  I'm now 100% convinced it works!!! lol

There is no fee to join, but I established an event fee  (which I just lowered to $1) just to help offset my monthly cost for now until we got a sponsor or could collaborate on ways to raise funds for the long-term.  I also would have used any extra money to provide goodies and was thinking we could buy gift certificates so people could win games. 

I'd like to work with sincere folks on ways to improve the group since I just started it and am also learning as I go so I don't have all the answers yet.  I'm really very open to making it a great place for everyone and it would be wonderful if there were no costs involved for anyone.  Please come and join if you are still interested and we'll see what happens. 

PS Jess:  Is your adorable dog a pit bull?  If so, that's one more area of interest we have in common!  ;D 

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
As they say, living well is the best revenge, and so I would love to see this be a success for you that will lead to many memorable get togethers!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yes I actually posted on that thread.I was the one who suggested twitter,just as a helpful hint.
That thread turned really bad thanks to 1 poster, I still do not understand why she got all upset,and nasty.
Oh well some people are just that way I guess. ::)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sugar said:
Yes I actually posted on that thread.I was the one who suggested twitter,just as a helpful hint.
That thread turned really bad thanks to 1 poster, I still do not understand why she got all upset,and nasty.
Oh well some people are just that way I guess. ::)
Amazing the power of one stupendously unhappy person, as people had been interested.
The $2 was mentioned upfront at meetup so she was out of line but not someone you can reason with.

The reason I would not use twitter or even facebook to do this is that meetup has a pretty good fix on who everyone is, relatively speaking. No one can just show up unidentified by someone central at a meetup.com event, where you have a profile and they encourage more info about yourself.

And there is a record of who rsvp'd to go and everytime you opt to do something (yes/maybe/no) it's recorded. It would dissuade some tricky business that goes on with the more faceless sites with people creating so many aliases and meetings are more private. Facebook isn't bad but it has tremendously invasive vendors with apps who, when they 'let' you use them, insist on being able to see any friends of yours on facebook and gather info. Otherwise it's fun, but overstimulating with fake virtual gifts people give one another. Meetup.com is great because you meet real people where you live who enjoy things you enjoy - food, hikes, shows. concerts. I'm planning to join a Bridge walk for a photo shoot group soon.

Meetup.com leaders are very responsible for the group of people -- safety advisories. Coordinating people and making sure someone isn't left behind. The whole thing is a great idea. Each week in Berkeley, where I live, there are about 900 meetup events. Something for everyone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sugar,
Somewhere in that cross fire, I did try to convey that I appreciated all the suggestions from kind people like yourself and I did know you were from KB.  :)  It was a good suggestion and I do thank you for trying to help. 

I wanted to use meetup for all the reasons artandhistoryfan provided.  I did not want a one time only, whambamthankyoumam, free-for-all type of event.  That was never my intention and if it had been then yes, I would have just used the boards or facebook/twitter and threw together a meetup.

I want to create a more meaningful, "high quality" long-term group of dedicated people.  The only downside to meetup is the organizer has to pay a monthly subscription fee which in turn leads to organizers needing to charge fees to help offset that.  Some groups are free because they have a dedicated organizer who pays it themself or they have sponsors.  I'd like to know what else they do, actually because I'd love for it to be free, especially for me! lol  :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes as a matter of fact she is...  My pit's name is Tilly.  She is my our second child, our first being a lab mix rescue named Kodi.  I have a sweet spot for pits, I feel they are truly misunderstood, as sometimes am I.  Let me know about meeting up.  I am in the Clayton/Garner area, but am more than willing to meet anywhere.  Do you have dog kids? I would love to see pics!  :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts