Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1235 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how you get one:

On Tuesday, May 5th starting at 10 AM (Eastern), download a 99 cent copy of my novel, Uncubicled, for your Kindle or iPhone Kindle App. Be one of the first 200 people to forward me a copy of your email receipt ([email protected]), and I'll email you back a $5 Amazon gift card (see official rules below). That's a tidy $4.01 profit.

But wait. There's more.

The first 10 people to forward me their receipt will get a $20 gift card instead. So it pays to respond quickly.

It also pays to persist.

An additional $20 gift card goes to the person who kills this thread. If 10 hours pass after you comment below without anyone else commenting, you win a $20 gift card. If the thread hasn't been killed before midnight on May 5th, the last commenter with a time stamp before midnight (Eastern) wins the gift card.

What's this is all about?

Well there's a whole host of information about the novel at http://uncubicled.com, so check that out. Personally my goal is to try to get the book on the Kindle top 25 downloads list (even if only for one brief, shining moment).

Oh, and if it makes it to the top 10 downloads by the end of the day on the 5th, I'll double the dollar amount of all the gift cards.

Track the progress and find more chances to win that day by becoming a fan here: http://tinyurl.com/uncubicled

Is this legit?

I'm trying to be as transparent as possible here. I truly do believe that this novel is something people will enjoy, so I'm putting some skin in the game. To gauge my commitment, check out the website (http://uncubicled.com). There you'll find links to the fan page on Facebook, the "choose your own adventure" game inspired by the book, and the movie trailer.

I'm just trying to get the book out there. Besides, if at any point you feel like I've conned you out of your 99 cents, you can always retaliate by leaving me a bad review (but contact me first, I'll try to make it right).

*Official rules

From 10:00:00 AM EDT (GMT -04:00) on Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 (hereafter: the "START-TIME") until 11:59:59 PM EDT (GMT -04:00) on Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 (hereafter: the "END-TIME") I am offering Amazon.com electronic gift cards as rebates for the purchase of the Kindle version of the novel UNCUBICLED (hereafter: the "BOOK").

To be eligible:

1) The BOOK must be purchased between the START-TIME and END-TIME mentioned above as determined by the time-stamp on the electronic receipt provided by Amazon.com.

2) Electronic receipts must be forwarded to [email protected] before the END-TIME to be eligible for a rebate.

3) The first 10 electronic receipts received will each earn a $20 Amazon gift card.

4) The next 190 electronic receipts received will each earn a $5 Amazon gift card.

5) Rebate gift cards will be sent out within 1 week of the promotion (but most likely a great deal sooner).

6) If UNCUBICLED reaches the #10 spot (or better) on the most popular Kindle downloads list before the END-TIME, all gift card rebate values will be doubled.

So, in a nutshell you only have to be one of the first 200 people to do this to get free money. And who knows if I'll even get that many people to participate. So I'd say your odds are pretty good at scoring some e-cash.

But that's not all.

I'm also giving away a $200 Amazon gift card. I suppose you could say it's the grand prize.

You could also say that things are about to get interesting.

How do you qualify for the grand prize? Referrals.

If you refer 2 or more people to buy the Kindle version of Uncubicled and forward me their receipt on contest day, the people you referred are eligible to win a $20 gift card and you are eligible to win the $200 one. The more people you refer, the better your chances.

How exactly does that work? I'll get to that in a minute. First I want you to think about the people you know that might be interested in giving this a shot. Sure, find other Kindle owners that haven't seen the rebate offer yet. But what about the people you know that have iPhones (or iPods Touch)? Most of them probably don't even have the free Kindle app yet. This is your chance to introduce them to the joys of eBooks.

What do you tell them to do? The same thing you're planning to do, buy a 99 cent Kindle copy of Uncubicled starting at 10 am EDT on May 5th, 2009. Forward the electronic receipt to [email protected] for a chance to get the aforementioned rebate, but at the top of their forwarded receipt, have them write, "Joe Tompkins referred me: [email protected]" (substituting your name and email address instead of Joe's).

You cannot refer yourself, but feel free to refer recursively (refer the person that referred you).

Oh, and you don't have to have submitted your own receipt in order to refer others. That's right, you don't have to buy the book yourself to be eligible (or, if you've already purchased it, here's your chance to cash in). What a nice guy I am.

So this is how it will work. For everyone who refers at least 2 people, their referrals get entered into a list. I'll pick one person from that list to win a $20 gift card. Whoever referred that person gets the $200 gift card.

Confused? Here's an illustration.

Joe refers 5 people. Ned refers 2 people.

Joe's 5 referrals and Ned's 2 referrals get entered into a list. The list contains 7 people (5 + 2).

I randomly pick one of the 7 to win $20. Joe's got a 5 out of 7 shot of that person being one of his referrals.

The winner of the $20 turns out to be Meg. Meg was referred to the contest by Joe, so Joe wins the $200 gift card. The more people you refer, the better your chances of winning.

I'll announce the winner of the grand prize on May 6th.

And, once all the dust has settled and all the submissions are counted, the top referrer gets an extra bonus. The person who refers the most people will get an additional gift card, worth $2 for everyone he or she referred, up to $100.

*Official rules

From 10:00:00 AM Eastern Time (GMT -04:00) on Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 (hereafter: the "START-TIME") until 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time (GMT -04:00) on Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 (hereafter: the "END-TIME") I am offering a chance to win a $200 Amazon.com electronic gift card for referrals to the rebate offer for the Kindle version of the novel UNCUBICLED (hereafter: the "BOOK").

To be eligible, your referrals need to do the following:

1) Purchase the BOOK between the START-TIME and END-TIME mentioned above as determined by the time-stamp on the electronic receipt provided by Amazon.com.
2) Forward their electronic receipt to [email protected] before the END-TIME along with your email address.

If you refer 2 or more people as detailed above:

1) Each of your referrals will be entered to win a $20 Amazon.com electronic gift card.
2) If one of your referrals wins that $20 gift card, you win the $200 Amazon.com electronic gift card.
3) Gift cards will be sent out within 1 week of the promotion (but most likely a great deal sooner).

Good luck.

Cheers,
Josh McMains
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Count me in. Sounds like a fun read!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
joshmcmains said:
It also pays to persist.

An additional $20 gift card goes to the person who kills this thread. If 10 hours pass after you comment below without anyone else commenting, you win a $20 gift card. If the thread hasn't been killed before midnight on May 5th, the last commenter with a time stamp before midnight (Eastern) wins the gift card.
Josh, does it count if I use my super mod powers for evil and lock the thread after I post? LOL! ::)

Betsy

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is on my calender....great PR push by the way.  Nice Work.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Stephen Colbert did something like this with his Christmas CD. . .  .he did manage to get it to no 2 briefly I think. . .

Good luck. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hah. This thread is never going to end with that "thread killer wins $20" thing going on! What a great PR move. I love it. I look forward to the book release!

·
Registered
446 Posts
webhill said:
Hah. This thread is never going to end with that "thread killer wins $20" thing going on! What a great PR move. I love it. I look forward to the book release!
ya think!! :) :) Great idea!!!

Rachel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, this is going to be cool! I exchanged e-mails with Josh a few days ago after he had posted this on the Amazon boards and had it removed. I got the impression he'd be happy if 200 people even show up. I think he's in for a good surprise! I'm also really interested to see what a one-day boost like this will do to the charts. I hope he'll consider coming back afterwards and sharing some figures with us.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wow!  Your book sounds good. I would download it now.... but since it's a contest.... I guess I will wait.
Kdawna

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Looks like I'll be setting my alarm clock to go off every 10 hours until the 5th.  

Oh man, I just gave away my winning strategy...  Nobody better steal that idea  :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
OK I'll bite - for .99 even if I don't want to read the book it'll be fun.

Did the Amazon thread really get deleted?  Just look how many people participated in the Easter Egg Hunt - he should be number 1 in no time, AND with warm and friendly people!  So stay away from the dark side Josh and you will have fans forever if this book is good.

And since Betsy is mod of the Book Korner - hmmmmmmm  ::)

1 - 20 of 1235 Posts