Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, do we have any speakers of Tibetan in our ranks?

If so, I would like to confirm the following: I looked up words for brother and sister, but am wondering what would be used as nicknames between a brother and sister (in this case twins). The words I found are numo and chola, but I'm wondering if they are what would be used affectionately between two siblings.

While we're at it, affectionate names for mom and grandma would be useful as well. I found ama and momo. Are those accurate for what a child/grandchild would use to address their mother and grandmother?

Thanks in advance to anyone able to help out!

:)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Tibetan names are very specific, the theology and/or life/natural events surrounding a child determines what someone is called, not the parent, so using something like 'bright moon' or 'little bird' or "Sparrow' would be your best bet. Just pick a personality trait of your chars and use one thing personal between the two to pick a pet name for each other then look up the tibetan name for it. (they also don't use surnames, btw)

ETA: oops lol and as for the naming of siblings/parents/grandparents there is a little variation by provence but from what I remember what you have is correct.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pandorra said:
Tibetan names are very specific, the theology and/or life/natural events surrounding a child determines what someone is called, not the parent, so using something like 'bright moon' or 'little bird' or "Sparrow' would be your best bet. Just pick a personality trait of your chars and use one thing personal between the two to pick a pet name for each other then look up the tibetan name for it. (they also don't use surnames, btw)

ETA: oops lol and as for the naming of siblings/parents/grandparents there is a little variation by precinct but from what I remember what you have is correct.
Haha! Yeah. Not worried about the names. Just nicknames for bro and sis (the characters in question were all named in different languages--they're only half Tibetan and were raised outside of Tibet) but thank you for the info!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yeah, then a nickname would just be something like I said above, sparrow or bright moon etc .. there really is no equivalent to 'sis' or globally used pet names, a brother or sister would use a name picked from an event surrounding the two of them so each one would be unique.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pandorra said:
Yeah, then a nickname would just be something like I said above, sparrow or bright moon etc .. there really is no equivalent to 'sis' or globally used pet names, a brother or sister would use a name picked from an event surrounding the two of them so each one would be unique.
Oh, I see. I thought that was for their given name. Gotcha.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A given name would be one given directly from the dalai lama or great lama or be a blessing from the parents... like hope or joy or peace or serenity.. because the theology is based on reincarnation, it's believed that the more prosperous in life events (not business or trade) a tibetan is, the better life or blessing they will have in the next life... so names are taken very seriously and rarely changed unless one enters a monastery. A nickname between people close to one another like families or a couple therefore are ones that are both positive and a blessing, using a name that represents what that person means to them (not what they are like a sister, daughter, mother, brother, but who they are as an an individual).. a cursed name would be the opposite like in the US when one sister calls her brother a brat or a demon, that would be very bad in tibetan culture.

I hope that helps .. all those little pieces of knowledge stuck in my head! lol

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Pandorra said:
A given name would be one given directly from the dalai lama or great lama or be a blessing from the parents... like hope or joy or peace or serenity.. because the theology is based on reincarnation, it's believed that the more prosperous in life events (not business or trade) a tibetan is, the better life or blessing they will have in the next life... so names are taken very seriously and rarely changed unless one enters a monastery. A nickname between people close to one another like families or a couple therefore are ones that are both positive and a blessing, using a name that represents what that person means to them (not what they are like a sister, daughter, mother, brother, but who they are as an an individual).. a cursed name would be the opposite like in the US when one sister calls her brother a brat or a demon, that would be very bad in tibetan culture.

I hope that helps .. all those little pieces of knowledge stuck in my head! lol
That's not exactly accurate.

I live near Tibet. I have Tibetan friends and used to live in a Tibetan neighborhood. Most Tibetans are living in China (Tibet is one of the largest Chinese provinces.) The dalai lama hasn't been allowed in China for almost 50 years. Tibetan people have normal names (surname+given name). Some of the more rural tibetans (ones that live on the plateau may still have some of those more exotic sounding names but in Lhasa, or western and northern sichuan province where most tibetans live they have more standard names.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Herefortheride said:
That's not exactly accurate.

I live near Tibet. I have Tibetan friends and used to live in a Tibetan neighborhood. Most Tibetans are living in China (Tibet is one of the largest Chinese provinces.) The dalai lama hasn't been allowed in China for almost 50 years. Tibetan people have normal names (surname+given name). Some of the more rural tibetans (ones that live on the plateau may still have some of those more exotic sounding names but in Lhasa, or western and northern sichuan province where most tibetans live they have more standard names.
Most of what I learned about Tibet, including some of the language, comes from my old theology professor who came from Tibet when she was a teenager. I think because of the nature of the class, she focused on more of the ancient customs and core theology than the modern structure but I never pursued much of the culture after that course so I don't know what the current conditions are there. I do know a lot of tibetans share the same names due to that old custom of the dalai lama naming the children so some of them started adding surnames a while back to distinguish themselves in some way, but I am not sure how prevalent that has become. Now I am curious enough to go do some of my own research, I always loved that course..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.