Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, do we have any speakers of Tibetan in our ranks?

If so, I would like to confirm the following: I looked up words for brother and sister, but am wondering what would be used as nicknames between a brother and sister (in this case twins). The words I found are numo and chola, but I'm wondering if they are what would be used affectionately between two siblings.

While we're at it, affectionate names for mom and grandma would be useful as well. I found ama and momo. Are those accurate for what a child/grandchild would use to address their mother and grandmother?

Thanks in advance to anyone able to help out!

:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pandorra said:
Tibetan names are very specific, the theology and/or life/natural events surrounding a child determines what someone is called, not the parent, so using something like 'bright moon' or 'little bird' or "Sparrow' would be your best bet. Just pick a personality trait of your chars and use one thing personal between the two to pick a pet name for each other then look up the tibetan name for it. (they also don't use surnames, btw)

ETA: oops lol and as for the naming of siblings/parents/grandparents there is a little variation by precinct but from what I remember what you have is correct.
Haha! Yeah. Not worried about the names. Just nicknames for bro and sis (the characters in question were all named in different languages--they're only half Tibetan and were raised outside of Tibet) but thank you for the info!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pandorra said:
Yeah, then a nickname would just be something like I said above, sparrow or bright moon etc .. there really is no equivalent to 'sis' or globally used pet names, a brother or sister would use a name picked from an event surrounding the two of them so each one would be unique.
Oh, I see. I thought that was for their given name. Gotcha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts