Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all

I'd like to get an idea of the sales that can be expected in relation to your Amazon rank.  My book has been out less than a week and it has 9 sales.  (2 today). I am ranking between 19,000 and 25,000 on the kindle paid store.  I can't believe these few sales would garner a ranking that high

Can a few of you post your average weekly sales along with your average weekly ranking?  I guess you have to be upwards of 5,000 or higher to get good sales?

Thanks!

MJ

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to this, too, but for a different reason: I used BookBaby as my distributor, and have no access to sales figures at all for about three months (that's how long they say it takes for Amazon to report sales to them, and for them to report to me and pay out). My book's been up for 4 weeks and has sold at least 15 copies that I am aware of (friends and family)--most in the first two weeks, but I have never ranked as high as you are after only 9 sales. I am averaging very near 5 stars over 13 reviews, also, but that isn't sales-dependent. So I am certainly confused. My highest ranking was around 23,000 (having swiftly popped up from 80,000 for no apparent reason) about a week ago, but it just as quickly dropped to well over 100,000. I average in the 50,000-100,000 range, and would love to know how to estimate my sales numbers by my rank.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just an aside, for what it's worth: you might think about placing a link to your book in your signature line, or at least tell us the title or even your name. There can be no sales generated among your KB colleagues if you don't share that info!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
A couple of sales a day is pretty easy to track. If your rank jumps it means you sold one book. Your rank will be around 20,000 to 50,000 if you are selling 1 or 2 a day. If your rank is 100,000 you probably have not sold a book in a few days.

I can say if you sell 100 books a day you probably hang out around #290 or so.

If you don't have your sales numbers you can always track your rank on novelrank.com.

Vicki

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
" I can't believe these few sales would garner a ranking that high"

The effect of a sale on rank depends on how old the sale is. If there are lifetime sales of 10, and they all happen today, that will outrank a book with lifetime sales of 100 if they all happened in April.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here is a rough estimation (purely a rough guess based on my own sales and reports from other Indies I have met);

Within any 24 hour period on Kindle US;

#500 - 50 sales (about 25 - 50 in UK)
#200 - 100 to 150 sales (about 50 - 75 in UK)
#100 - 300 or so sales (about 75 - 100 in UK) - I have never had a rank past 80 in UK so I'll stop here)
#50 - 500 sales
#20 - 1,000 to 1,500 sales (I do this for one title in one month, it would be amazing to sell an entire month's worth in one day)
#10 - 2,000 sales
#3 - 5,000 sales
#1 - the world implodes
Kindle UK is smaller, so the figures are smaller too. This is why it is easier to get a "Bestseller Rank in UK" but harder to keep that ranking long term than if you climb to the same rank in US. However, this puzzles me as most Indie books are available in both stores ... there are less readers in UK so you'd think it would be harder to grab a Bestseller ranking!

Anyway, hope that helps.

I personally think rankings are just a good promo tool to help readers associate that your book is popular, and worth a second look, don't get too obsessed with them. Someone could debut with a Top 100 ranking, but drop into the abyss after a few weeks. If you hold a steady mid ranking (200's - 500's) you could outsell them easily (that's what I keep telling myself anyway, lol).

:)

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
In the US, on my first title, which is out three weeks, I have been averaging a ranking of 30,000 and and selling an average of 3.9 a day.

It peaked and bounced around at 5,000 when it was selling at a rate of 17 day.

My second title is out 5 days, with an average ranking of 18,000 and has sold 5.8 day.

But the ranking only tells you how you are performing in relative terms to everything else at that given hour. An average ranking will only give you your relative performance for that period.

A rank of 5,000 in May is a lot different to a rank of 5,000 in, say, January.

And I'm sure it varies daily.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Miss_Fletcher said:
Here is a rough estimation (purely a rough guess based on my own sales and reports from other Indies I have met);

Within any 24 hour period on Kindle US;

#500 - 50 sales (about 25 - 50 in UK)
#200 - 100 to 150 sales (about 50 - 75 in UK)
#100 - 300 or so sales (about 75 - 100 in UK) - I have never had a rank past 80 in UK so I'll stop here)
#50 - 500 sales
#20 - 1,000 to 1,500 sales (I do this for one title in one month, it would be amazing to sell an entire month's worth in one day)
#10 - 2,000 sales
#3 - 5,000 sales
#1 - the world implodes
Kindle UK is smaller, so the figures are smaller too. This is why it is easier to get a "Bestseller Rank in UK" but harder to keep that ranking long term than if you climb to the same rank in US. However, this puzzles me as most Indie books are available in both stores ... there are less readers in UK so you'd think it would be harder to grab a Bestseller ranking!

Anyway, hope that helps.

I personally think rankings are just a good promo tool to help readers associate that your book is popular, and worth a second look, don't get too obsessed with them. Someone could debut with a Top 100 ranking, but drop into the abyss after a few weeks. If you hold a steady mid ranking (200's - 500's) you could outsell them easily (that's what I keep telling myself anyway, lol).

:)
Look at you go, Miss Thang! I had to laugh at these numbers because many of us are talking about ranks like #20,000 and #100,000, not #500 or better! Your sales are quite good!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Well my China business book is ranking 6, 9, and 25 in various business categories with just about 30 copies sold (apparently business isn't too hard to rank in). My overall rank is 8900.

M

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha - uh yeah -- I'm not too worried about breaking into the top 500.  But couldnt someone "game" the system by buying ten of their own books and gaining a high ranking - which might help increase sales from real book buyers?  Let's say I bought 10 of my book now and shot up to 3,000 or so - that ranking might increase other sales. ???

·
Registered
440 Posts
Miss_Fletcher, you said  'Kindle UK is smaller, so the figures are smaller too. This is why it is easier to get a "Bestseller Rank in UK" but harder to keep that ranking long term than if you climb to the same rank in US. However, this puzzles me as most Indie books are available in both stores ... there are less readers in UK so you'd think it would be harder to grab a Bestseller ranking!'

I think, although most indie books are there also, there are fewer books listed overall. Some publishers may not have their's listed for reasons related to the rights they hold, for example.

·
Registered
440 Posts
airwolfe777 said:
Haha - uh yeah -- I'm not too worried about breaking into the top 500. But couldnt someone "game" the system by buying ten of their own books and gaining a high ranking - which might help increase sales from real book buyers? Let's say I bought 10 of my book now and shot up to 3,000 or so - that ranking might increase other sales. ???
Actually J. Konrath did something like that - he offered to buy a copy of a book from each writer here who bought a copy of his book, to shoot it up the charts. Worked quite well, too.

G

·
I read somewhere that it's based in part on performance over time, not just hourly or daily sales. There does seem to be some truth in that because my less popular novel won't surpass my more popular one even if the less popular one outsells the more popular one on a given day. (That's clear as mud, isn't it? :p)

Lately I've been in the 5,000-3,000 range with my more popular one and that seems to average 10-20 sales a day.

·
Registered
500 Posts
airwolfe777 said:
Haha - uh yeah -- I'm not too worried about breaking into the top 500. But couldnt someone "game" the system by buying ten of their own books and gaining a high ranking - which might help increase sales from real book buyers? Let's say I bought 10 of my book now and shot up to 3,000 or so - that ranking might increase other sales. ???
Because you can really only buy a book once with each Kindle account, it would take some pretty serious organization. A lot of people have tried this with print books, though -- there are even companies that will take your money and buy a bunch of copies on the same day so you can send out a press release claiming to be an Amazon bestseller.

Amazon does weigh sales history into their daily rankings to some degree, so flukes tend to fall back down again pretty quickly. And I don't think a single day of spectacular sales is likely trigger Amazon's internal marketing machine, which is the primary reason books that sell well tend to continue selling well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
airwolfe777 said:
I'd like to get an idea of the sales that can be expected in relation to your Amazon rank. My book has been out less than a week and it has 9 sales. (2 today). I am ranking between 19,000 and 25,000 on the kindle paid store. I can't believe these few sales would garner a ranking that high
That sounds about right. Titles that have sold about 50-60 copies this month are ranking in that same range. So it takes about 2 sales per day to hit that rank.

It looks like selling about 10 copies per day will get you to around #6,000 in the paid Kindle Store.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
matt youngmark said:
Amazon does weigh sales history into their daily rankings to some degree, so flukes tend to fall back down again pretty quickly. And I don't think a single day of spectacular sales is likely trigger Amazon's internal marketing machine, which is the primary reason books that sell well tend to continue selling well.
You're probably right except for the Movers and Shakers list. I suspect a hundred sales over a two day period might trigger that. But as you note, would take a lot of organization.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
edwardgtalbot said:
You're probably right except for the Movers and Shakers list. I suspect a hundred sales over a two day period might trigger that. But as you note, would take a lot of organization.
You'd have to do better than 100 over a two day period to hit the M&S list. Only those books ranked #400 or better can make that list. At #400, you're selling about 90 a day.

Edited. I was including my UK titles to get the 100 per day number. Unfortunately, they don't affect my US ranking.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Steven L. Hawk said:
You'd have to do better than 100 over a two day period to hit the M&S list. Only those books ranked #400 or better can make that list. At #400, you're selling about 100 a day.
I stand corrected. So 100 in a day maybe. Does Amazon publicize that 400 ceiling for the ranking anywhere? I've seen a lot of speculation on the board about M&S, but never anything that definite.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts