Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a typical ratio of the number of reviews to the number of sales?  I realize that any answers will probably be "anecdotal" as opposed to "statistically valid" but I'm curious.  What I'm really wondering is, how many books do I need to sell before I can expect to see a review?  Everyone says that reviews help sales, and I certainly wouldn't mind something helping my sales.  Do I need to sell 100, 500, 1000, more? before I can reasonably expect to see a review.  A nice one would be good, but anything to indicate somebody actually read it would be a plus.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Scl,

My experience has been one review for every several hundred purchases--maybe 1 review after 300-500 purchases.  Readers just are not writers, and you're lucky to get a couple of lines.  I find I have to seek out reviewers, something I am doing now, through review sites, bloggers, and give-aways.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
my book has sold just over 4,000 copies (ebook and paperback) in the last 2 years and I've received 26 reviews on Amazon and another 6 or so on Goodreads.
I think that's really low, but at least they are mostly very positive reviews, and that's good. ;)

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I can only say how it went for me.
I had to wait almost a month. I had sent out only a few copies to reviewer-sites. One of them reviewed my first book, A Dish Served Cold, on her site and (later) cross posted that review to Amazon. I think by then I sold about fifty books.
If you don't mind a piece of advice from a relative newbie? Don't try to force anything. I know the waiting can be long, but eventually you will get reviewed and everybody will know at first sight that this is not your mother, a friend, or another writer you struck a deal with.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
I have sold 12,500 books (nearly), 17 titles and have only 254 reviews. (I'd be happy for half that).  ;D Although Amazon promts readers to review our books, most readers read fr enjoyment and not "do a book report," like back in school. That's why I say, any review (good or bad) is better than no review at all.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I've bought thousands of books and the only reviews I've done were the ones I had to do in 4th and 5th grade.

Maybe a few in high school too. ::)

;D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Different books inspire different reviews rates IME. I have 3 books, and they're all different, although the romances are more like each other than the mystery:

Mystery - 1:61
Romance 1 - 1:125
Romance 2 - 1:149

Review rate has nothing to do with overall sales. My first romance has sold more than 3 times as many copies as the mystery and the mystery came out about 6 weeks sooner.

·
Registered
222 Posts
WHEW!! So it is not only my ebooks. I have been getting a complex because there has been hardly any reviews on my books.

No, wait a minute. That may be because there is hardly any sales in the first place. LOL!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it depends a lot on the reader's personality. I'm a prolific reader, but I'm also a writer, so I'm probably more inclined to leave reviews anyway as it gives me a chance to write. My philosophy has always been to only leave reviews on things that don't already have any or many: there's no point contributing a review to something that's already got 200 reviews, because it'll never be seen.

Also, the genre is important, especially on places like Amazon where your profile is searchable and your reviews are linked to it. Most people wouldn't want their mother to go onto their profile looking for Xmas present ideas in their wishlist and see a ton of reviews for erotica! Some authors have to accept that their genre may sell well, but no-one will admit to having bought their books. (The beauty of e-readers being that the cover is hidden, which is why I think more erotic books sell so well).

Finally I think it comes down to how they respond to your book. If they really love it, and it changed their life, they're going to go straight online and tell everyone why they *must* buy it. Equally, if they think it's the biggest waste of their cold, hard cash that they've ever been conned into buying, then they'll get straight online to warn others away. Most people don't react that strongly to things they read, and therefore are less likely to review anyway.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the feedback.  I guess I'll just hang in there and hope for a review sometime in the next year or so.  I hope when I finally get one that it's from someone who enjoyed it. 

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My ratio is around 1:6 at the moment, but that's more a product of low sales than anything.  If you want reviews, I recommend doing a giveaway on LibraryThing (ebooks allowed) or Goodreads (physical copies only).  They're hard but fair :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
ellenoc said:
Different books inspire different reviews rates IME. I have 3 books, and they're all different, although the romances are more like each other than the mystery:
I find this to be true, I mean take one of my free books for instance in the ibook store, it's been reviewed 429 times and I wouldn't mind betting it's been downloaded well over 50,000 times. It's almost been downloaded 50,000 times at Smashwords and I've only had three reviews there.

Carl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts