Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can remember, I don't think I've ever re-read a book in my entire life.  I have been surprised by the number of posts where people re-read a book or a series.  Am I in the minority on this one?

There are too many things I want to read to go back and read something I've already been through once. 

Very interesting?  Am I all alone here?  ;D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Generally, I don't. The exception (so far) is the Outlander series, which I love. I re-read it after several years after I recommended it to some friends. Enough time had passed that I didn't remember all the details of the story.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I re-read books I like, on occasion. I have a poor memory, so I don't remember a lot of details, and rarely remember the endings. Right now I am re-reading Salem's Lot.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
There are very few books that I'd want to re-read. Right now I'm re-reading Outlander because of the book klub and since I read it a few years ago, it's actually enough time in between to make me want to read the book again.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
When I was young, I read and re-read my Nancy Drews endlessly. I have even re-read many of them as an adult. I've read all the Harry Potter books and listened to them all on CD (does that count as re-reading?).

When I finish a book I really like, I'll often go back and re-read bits and pieces that I enjoyed, right after finishing the book. It sort of keeps the memory alive.

But other than that, I'm not big on re-reading. There are too many books out there to read for the first time!

L

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I don't generally re-read though I did re-read each HP just before the next one came out.

I've also bought books and started reading them and thought, 'did I read this?'. I'm never sure so I keep reading.  Sometimes I realize I have but can't remember what happens so I read it again.  I don't like it when the books, usually paperback, have the first chapter of the next in the series because I invariably read it and then can't remember if I read the whole thing, or just the chapter.

Every now and then I'll read a book again because it's just so good. . . . like I expect I'll read The Thirteenth Tale again.  I've also read the Foundation series more than once as well as the Robot Novels and the mysteries set in the same universe.  Hey!  Are they Kindlized?. . . .going to check. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
377 Posts
One of the nice things about living as long as I have is that after about 18 months to 2 years, I can re-read a book and not remember anything about it from previous reads.  I am currently doing that with the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly.  Luckily, I use my wife and daughters' names frequently, so I haven't forgotten them (yet).

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've just re-read "Harlot's Ghost" on the Kindle since reading it first in the initial publication. I'm still upset that Mailer never continued the story as he promised...I'[ve always wondered what would have happened if Harry found Hugh in Moscow, and how he would resolve the situation with Kittredge's affair.

There are a few books that I'll probably read again now that they're available for the Kindle. "Skinny Legs and All" and "Jitterbug Perfume", for instance.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have a tendency of re-reading books if I mention them in my journal and I come upon the entries a couple of years later. Usually my journals include a quick and straight to the point review of the book, so I like to re-read a book, compare my impressions of the books and seeing what I missed the first read around. Its odd looking at my impressions of a book at the age of 12-13 and then comparing to what I think of a book some seven years later after a re-read.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I love to re-read my favorite series - it's like visiting with old friends again. Those would be Outlander, Song of Fire and Ice and Harry Potter. Although since HP isn't going to be on the Kindle any time soon, I really don't know when (if!) I'll be re-reading those again. Sigh....

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
There are only a few that I have in what I call my "Cast Away" collection (so if I ever get marooned on a Pacific Island, I'd want to make sure I've got them with me - or at least a solar charger for my Kindle!). Unfortunately, a lot of them aren't available on Kindle:

The Mote In God's Eye (read so many times the DT paperback is held together with a rubber band)
Battlefield Earth (movie sucked, love the book)
Genellan series by Scott G. Gier (some of the most under-rated sci-fi I've seen)
Red Storm Rising (satisfies the Cold Warrior in me)

...and a couple more, but it's time to go eat! ;D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't reread many.  I have a couple I have reread but most it is once and done.  I do tend to keep them in case I ever get to the point I want to reread any of them, but sadly that day never seems to come.  There are always too many new ones that I want to read.  Most of the time I find if I reread a book it isn't as good as the first time I read it.  Why I rarely re-watch movies or TV once I've seen it I'm ready to move on.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I rarely read a book over again.  I had started Outlander when this group first talked about it and read to about location 600.  I am starting over now and do not remember much at all until I come to it and then my mind is refreshed.  I am having a hard time reading this because I had read this part before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to re-read books, if they were good enough to warrant it, but since I have had my Kindle, I have way too much to read for the first time to even think about a re-read. :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Actually, I re-read things more often than I read new things.  In fact, the first several books I bought on my Kindle were books I already owned.

I live alone, so I mostly use my oven to store off season clothing, so I eat out a lot, and I always take a book.  I have found that it's a far more relaxing meal if I eat with people I already know, so to speak, rather than strangers.  This may explain why I don't date much, either, now that I think about it.

Oscar Wilde has this to say:
"If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all."

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I was a re-reader, but I'm not sure if I will reread much now that I have a K.  I'm buying new books a lot faster than I can read them at the moment.  It might be awhile before I actually get back to my old favorites.  If I catch one of my faves in the $1-$2 range I nab it.  I would like to eventually do away with all my DTBs. 

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
sebat said:
I was a re-reader, but I'm not sure if I will reread much now that I have a K. I'm buying new books a lot faster than I can read them at the moment. It might be awhile before I actually get back to my old favorites. If I catch one of my faves in the $1-$2 range I nab it. I would like to eventually do away with all my DTBs.
You took the words right out of my mouth, sebat. I've been a huge re-reader since I was a child, but now that I have Kindle, I think I could read free books alone and not run out for a very long time. It's just so easy - not in the mood for that book I just bought? Buy another one! I suspect that sooner or later I'll get the irresistible urge to re-read an old favorite, though.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
When I'm tired and don't really want to concentrate on a new book, I'll pull out a favorite. I will also reread books that are a series if the next one is a long time coming out just to refresh my memory on characters. I have several books that I love to read over and over. One is Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen Woodiwiss. I bought it right away. I like all of her books and will probably buy them for the Kindle even though I have them in hard back already.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I tend to re-read books if I like them enough.  Some books I re-read on a regular basis like Watership Down or American Psycho.  Its one of the reasons I got my Kindle, because I have way too many books that I just can't get rid of since I re-read them and I just didn't have the space for another bookshelf.  Now I don't have to feel guilty hoarding my books lol.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Every year or two I go through my books and get rid of any that don't pass a simple test. Will I reread this? If not, away it goes.

This system works great. I have about 800 books on my shelves and more in boxes. And I fully intend to reread each and every one of them as soon as they stop publishing new ones!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts