Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to re-use the DecalGirl skins for the Kindle?

I ordered about six of them, and I'd like to be able to change them periodically. I called DecalGirl and asked them. They said they really aren't made to be reused, but she did refer me here to the Kindle boards as she said that some people know how to very skillfully remove them, heat them with a blow dryer (?) to shrink them a little and put them back on the original backing for use again. I can't find anything about this when I searched the boards, so I am hoping someone can tell me (or point me to the link of that discussion). I'd really hate to throw out my pretty skin just because I want to change it for a while.

Does anyone know if this can be done...and how??

Thanks so much!
:)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I just took a skin off my Kindle, intending to use it on the replacement I just received and....no luck. Even taking it off carefully, it got all stretchy and wrinkly. The little pieces got stuck on each other and some of the pieces around the keyboard even ripped. The back was whole and I tried to put it on my new Kindle but it looked crappy. So I just threw the whole thing into the trash and ordered a new skin.

Maybe other people are more patient and precise than me and could make it work but honestly....I don't think it would ever look like new again and I wouldn't be happy with it.

L

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I was able to remove my front skin veeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy slowly & have it come off in one piece with no stretching.  The back piece came off with some slight wrinkling at the top edge, enough that I wouldn't try to put it back on as is.  Stuck them both onto one of the backer sheets & put them away for now.  It was a seriously painful process to remove them intact, probably took about 10 minutes of careful work.  I'm glad I like my new skin as well as I do, because I'm not sure I want to go through that again!

I believe Luvmy4brats has recommended freezing the skins after removal to reduce them back to their original size, and that someone else recommended a blow dryer.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That seems really tricky. I think the best solution is to buy a few Kindles for different days of the week.  ::)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Kind said:
That seems really tricky. I think the best solution is to buy a few Kindles for different days of the week. ::)
Everyday but Sunday, since you only want 6 on your account. LOL

·
Registered
545 Posts
Leslie said:
I just took a skin off my Kindle, intending to use it on the replacement I just received and....no luck. Even taking it off carefully, it got all stretchy and wrinkly. The little pieces got stuck on each other and some of the pieces around the keyboard even ripped. The back was whole and I tried to put it on my new Kindle but it looked crappy. So I just threw the whole thing into the trash and ordered a new skin.

Maybe other people are more patient and precise than me and could make it work but honestly....I don't think it would ever look like new again and I wouldn't be happy with it.

L
Leslie, you can very carefully use a hairdryer to resize the skin back on the kindle. I unfortunately tore mine so I will likely get a new one but wanted others to know that it IS possible but you are right, it takes a great deal of patience -- not work the price of a new one in my opinion. :D

EllenR

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
EllenR said:
Leslie, you can very carefully use a hairdryer to resize the skin back on the kindle. I unfortunately tore mine so I will likely get a new one but wanted others to know that it IS possible but you are right, it takes a great deal of patience -- not worth the price of a new one in my opinion. :D

EllenR
Yes...they cost $15. I figure, enjoy it for a few months and when I get tired of it, switch it out for a new one.

I wasn't tired of the Orient, yet, but my Kindle broke so ... I am looking forward to a new design and a new look.

L

·
Registered
723 Posts
Leslie said:

L
I am with Leslie on this one.
When I swap out the occasional skin I am not even trying to save the earlier one.

I am getting an Oberon K2 cover soon. Hokusai Wave in Saddle!
Think I will want to re-skin my K2 after that arrives!

And yes... I said in Saddle, it was custom made for another Kindler who is selling it to me.

Lucky guy am I!

Eric

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wouldn't it be so nice if they make re-usable skins.... I would love to be able to keep changing my skins in rotation without having to spend 15 dollars (20 for Tego custom skins) everytime. Although if such a thing were created I would need to have even more covers to match all these skins and it might not save me money in the long run at all.. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Still a trainer of dogs... said:
I am with Leslie on this one.
When I swap out the occasional skin I am not even trying to save the earlier one.

I am getting an Oberon K2 cover soon. Hokusai Wave in Saddle!
Think I will want to re-skin my K2 after that arrives!

And yes... I said in Saddle, it was custom made for another Kindler who is selling it to me.

Lucky guy am I!

Eric
Yes, you are lucky! I have the Hokusai wave in navy so you are in for a treat....btw, good to have you back, Eric. I've missed you.

L

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did it!! I was able to change my decal and saved the original one without damage. What I did was take off the original skin very carefully. Then I placed the skin back on the original backing and took my blow dryer to the skins for about 10 seconds. It ironed out the wrinkles and made it go right back into shape. Now it is ready for when I want to put the same dress back on her again! You don't have to throw out the skin; they CAN be reused with a little careful removing and a bit of blow drying to get them back in shape. Just wanted to share in case anyone is interested :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thank you Sweet-P for sharing this info.  I will try the blow dryer technique.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
haven't tried the blow dryer technique, but I have switched between my skins before. It just takes patience and a careful hand. ;D I'll keep the blowdryer trick next time I switch my skins

1 - 13 of 13 Posts