Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, I'm attempting to review the board's terms of use or some document that
might give me insight into why moderators remove posts.  Maybe I'm the only one
who feels there's too much censorship on the threads in the few months I've been here,
but I'm at least trying to be fair and understand the larger issue.  I'm asking for replies
from moderators and users on what gets removed and why.  I understand that personal
arguments and attacks have no place on these boards, but I just don't see a consistent
logic to all of the deletions.  Even posters who post info readers might see as
useful, posts that aren't at all emotionally charged or derogatory, find themselves
subject to deletion.  It just seems like posts vanish and that's that.  Hopefully, anyone
who posts on this thread can give more insight into this sensitive subject.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
You can remove any of your own posts except for the ones starting a thread.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and I may put that to use on another thread.  I'm wondering about those threads that
are removed by moderators, however, in which the writer posting has no choice in the matter.
I'm not writing to be disagreeable, just to get clarification.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I was responding to you about the other thread. Any post may be removed at the admin. or moderator's discretion.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's a highly moderated board, and as such, all moderation is subjective, discretionary, and final. That's all I've been able to figure out. 

·
Registered
586 Posts
StormWorldSeriesGuy said:
Honestly, I'm attempting to review the board's terms of use or some document that
might give me insight into why moderators remove posts. Maybe I'm the only one
who feels there's too much censorship on the threads in the few months I've been here,
but I'm at least trying to be fair and understand the larger issue. I'm asking for replies
from moderators and users on what gets removed and why. I understand that personal
arguments and attacks have no place on these boards, but I just don't see a consistent
logic to all of the deletions. Even posters who post info readers might see as
useful, posts that aren't at all emotionally charged or derogatory, find themselves
subject to deletion. It just seems like posts vanish and that's that. Hopefully, anyone
who posts on this thread can give more insight into this sensitive subject.
I think the mods on here are more than reasonable in what they do. I was involved in a flamefest just the other day where one pedant decided to misinterpret my words and accuse me of homophobia. Then a few others joined in. I was quite surprised the mods didn't lock down the thread. Seems to me they are very patient. Usually if you post off topic they will move you to a more appropriate forum rather than banning you as happens in some places. I like it here and have no problems with the mods whatsoever. Can't say the same about some intolerant people deliberately looking for a fight though. I'm here to learn, and I have learnt an awful lot in the last few weeks. I certainly don't recall any of my posts being deleted. Maybe somebody has taken a dislike to the way you put your points across here, or some such thing? IDK. I haven't got a problem, anyway.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
StaceyHH said:
It's a highly moderated board, and as such, all moderation is subjective, discretionary, and final. That's all I've been able to figure out.
This. I have noticed more moderation lately though. Not thrilled with some of it, but isn't up to me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There are some guidelines posted in the sticky thread somewhere. I remember reading it when I first joined the board.

There are rules about where to post, how many times you can bump promotional threads and what you can post. The newest rule that was added and might not be in a sticky thread yet is What Happens On Another site STAYS on the other site. People were making references to other sites and forums. I don't think the moderators want to be caught in the middle of a forum war which is why the rule was probably instituted.

Some of the posts (including one of mine) were deleted from the other thread. I don't have an issue with it since one of the moderators essentially said the same thing that I did, look before you leap. One thing to keep in mind, there are a lot of posts / threads on the Kindle Boards and relatively few moderators. They are not big brother, they will miss things. If you find a thread or post that is inappropriate, use the "report to moderator" feature, include why it is inappropriate and move on. The moderators will look at the thread / post and make a decision. There is no need to post in the thread which only serves to keep it on the front page so more people can see it. The moderators will react to things like personal attacks and other violations quickly once they know about them.

Finally, a lot of other boards make this one seem like the wild wild west. Some places have a lot more rules and restrictions.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Shoot, if anything I think the mods are too generous in allowing some nonsense to go on.  ;D  Just goes to show we all have differing opinions.  Y'all are just lucky I'm not in charge...

Bwwaaaahaaaa!

·
Registered
399 Posts
MariaESchneider said:
Shoot, if anything I think the mods are too generous in allowing some nonsense to go on. ;D Just goes to show we all have differing opinions. Y'all are just lucky I'm not in charge...

Bwwaaaahaaaa!
Hey, anyone who can pull off Bwwaaaahaaaa! is my kind of mod. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the links!  I will review them.

I'll stop posting to this thread unless I really have something new or constructive to say, but I just want to use the example that's one of the leading ones I'm referencing.  I wish I could make it general enough for people not to know which thread I'm referencing, but I'm not sure I can.  Even so, I want to do so without using any specific names to make this look balanced and to make sure it isn't a personal attack.  It really isn't meant to be.  Anyway, let's say a board member wants to review books.  This member begins to get real heat based on some conflicts of interest.  Maybe the amateur reviewer knows they're conflicts of interest; maybe the amateur reviewer doesn't.  It could be offering some paid service (let's say formatting) or pushing said reviewer's own material too hard.  Numerous authors post on this, expressing concern.  Nearly every, if not every, post on the subject is deleted. The only message left is a warning to research a reviewer first.  Let's say there's not much on the reviewer and these threads provided vital information that may have helped authors make an informed choice.  Now that info is gone and the author wondering if he or she should submit is left to scout info, some of which may no longer exist.  This strikes me as a real disservice to authors who might submit, and for what purpose?  What specific rules in the links above would it even have violated, especially if the wording wasn't inflammatory?  Sorry if I come across as all sour grapes, but I just don't get it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
TWGallier said:
Hey, anyone who can pull off Bwwaaaahaaaa! is my kind of mod. :D
Quick. Who's up for an ad hominen attack upon their previous good character?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I really appreciate the moderation.

More times than not, the mods lock or delete posts that deviate from the topic, not contribute to it. These posts are often where two or more posters are arguing with each other by taking personal attacks, being disrespectful, or violating forum decorum.

For the most part, the mods allow healthy discussion and debate. But when things cross the line, they cross the line.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
There are rules about where to post, how many times you can bump promotional threads and what you can post. The newest rule that was added and might not be in a sticky thread yet is What Happens On Another site STAYS on the other site. People were making references to other sites and forums. I don't think the moderators want to be caught in the middle of a forum war which is why the rule was probably instituted.
I don't know how long this has been a rule here at KB, I've only been a member since 12/23/08, but it was here when I got here.

And I've always felt the Mods go out of their way to be fair.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I have experienced unmoderated writers sites. Trust me, the way they run kindleboards is for the benefit of all.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I'm sure glad it's not my job! No matter what you do there will always be those who think it stinks on ice. Don't envy them.

I might not always agree with their choices, but I'm sure glad they're here.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts