Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
None of the above?

I know: typical guy. ;)  I'm not against a little romance in any genre, as long as it does not dominate. What I don't like is some action-oriented story where characters are running around virtually in a panic to solve some world-threatening crisis, meet each other, immediately fall in lust with each other, and then find the time to to consummate the relationship, trusting the world not to self-destruct while they're busy being romantic (and more).

Hmm...I think I just described 90% of summer block-buster movies. ;D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NogDog said:
None of the above?

I know: typical guy. ;) I'm not against a little romance in any genre, as long as it does not dominate. What I don't like is some action-oriented story where characters are running around virtually in a panic to solve some world-threatening crisis, meet each other, immediately fall in lust with each other, and then find the time to to consummate the relationship, trusting the world not to self-destruct while they're busy being romantic (and more).

Hmm...I think I just described 90% of summer block-buster movies. ;D
That's hilarious! :D Since you mention it, can't stand the 'romantic interlude while Armageddon's round the corner' scenario myself!
But, being a typical gal, I've got to have relationship drama in the story somewhere!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sandra Edwards said:
For readers who enjoy romantic themes, I don't think there's a sub-genre that doesn't mix well---except maybe horror. lol. Other than that, if the author's talented I think most any sub-genre works well :)

Sandy
Sandra, I agree. Just wondered if there were any sub-genres preferred as much as fantasy. I see such a profusion of interesting fantasy themes, that I wonder if realistic fiction has as many takers.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Sandra Edwards said:
For readers who enjoy romantic themes, I don't think there's a sub-genre that doesn't mix well---except maybe horror. lol. Other than that, if the author's talented I think most any sub-genre works well :)

Sandy
Rick Reed's IM is a wonderful m/m romance involving a cop, his love interest and a serial killer. I loved it and some parts of it scared the stuff out of me ...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think romance can be worked into any other genre ... depending on how it's done. I've read romantic suspenses, mysteries and thrillers where the romance added a lot to the book and in getting to know the characters and in other books I've found it annoying and unbelievable ... like when a killer is chasing the couple and for some unknown reason that seems like the perfect time for a hot-and-heavy sex scene. Nothing says romance like having in sex in the woods while trying to allude a killer.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I like romance in mysteries--in fact, I generally don't read mysteries unless they are as much character-driven as plot-driven. I like Susan Isaacs books (especially After These Years) and Shirley Tallman's Sarah Woolson mysteries.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geoffrey said:
Rick Reed's IM is a wonderful m/m romance involving a cop, his love interest and a serial killer. I loved it and some parts of it scared the stuff out of me ...
Will check it out, thanks!

theraven said:
I think romance can be worked into any other genre ... depending on how it's done. I've read romantic suspenses, mysteries and thrillers where the romance added a lot to the book and in getting to know the characters and in other books I've found it annoying and unbelievable ... like when a killer is chasing the couple and for some unknown reason that seems like the perfect time for a hot-and-heavy sex scene. Nothing says romance like having in sex in the woods while trying to allude a killer.
I hear you! And I keep worrying that their moans of ecstasy will bring the killer to their doorstep. Irritating.

Ann Herrick said:
I like romance in mysteries--in fact, I generally don't read mysteries unless they are as much character-driven as plot-driven. I like Susan Isaacs books (especially After These Years) and Shirley Tallman's Sarah Woolson mysteries.
Yes...sort of like Victoria Holt's books, which I still read over and again. Will look up the writers you mention.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Men and women think very differently about romance.  The thing I learned writing with Jenny Crusie is that even though there is a romance, usually the other factor drives the plot, so it's important.  If it's romantic-suspense, the suspense plot is key.  Paranormal romance, it's the paranormal.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Anne Maven said:
...Yes...sort of like Victoria Holt's books, which I still read over and again. Will look up the writers you mention.
Oops, I goofed that should have read, "After All These Years," by Susan Isaacs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob Mayer said:
Men and women think very differently about romance. The thing I learned writing with Jenny Crusie is that even though there is a romance, usually the other factor drives the plot, so it's important. If it's romantic-suspense, the suspense plot is key. Paranormal romance, it's the paranormal.
You make a good point. I did read 'Don't look down' and enjoyed it. I've always thought of the love story first. While plot is certainly the point of a work of fiction, I never thought of it quite as clearly. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
As a reader, I like there to be a romance in all genres I read and I read a wide variety - fantasy, historical, suspense, mystery, chick-lit. But it's got to be believable and have a decent conflict. Nothing is more boring than reading about a couple who like each other and fall in love with no obstacles in their way keeping them apart.

Are you asking about a specific genre in particular?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dara England said:
I'm partial to romantic suspense. I like to see people's lives endangered. :p
LOL!!!

CJArcher said:
As a reader, I like there to be a romance in all genres I read and I read a wide variety - fantasy, historical, suspense, mystery, chick-lit. But it's got to be believable and have a decent conflict. Nothing is more boring than reading about a couple who like each other and fall in love with no obstacles in their way keeping them apart.

Are you asking about a specific genre in particular?
Just wondered if people prefer a specific genre to lead the plot of the story. More Fantasy/romance or Sagas, romantic suspense or relationship crises like Emily Giffin protrays. Do readers read across all genres or find some more compelling than others?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts