Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the book I'm reading "The Deceived". The character Jonathan Quinn says "Reading is his vice". I've never considered my reading habit a vice.

Here's wikipedia's definition of Vice:

Vice is a practice or habit considered immoral, depraved, and/or degrading in the associated society. In more minor usage, vice can refer to a fault, a defect, an infirmity or merely a bad habit. Synonyms for vice include fault, depravity, sin, iniquity, wickedness and corruption. The modern English term that best captures its original meaning is the word vicious, which means "full of vice". In this sense, the word vice comes from the Latin word vitium, meaning "failing or defect". Vice is the opposite of virtue.

Vice is also a generic legal term for criminal offenses involving prostitution, lewdness, lasciviousness and obscenity. Illegal forms of gambling are also often included as a vice in law enforcement departments that deal with gambling as a crime.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sure reading can be a vice if it causes you to neglect your responsibilities. Just like anything else, keep it in moderation.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MonaSW said:
Sure reading can be a vice if it causes you to neglect your responsibilities. Just like anything else, keep it in moderation.
The character in the story wasn't neglecting responsibilities to read. He was single and had his own business. Maybe he shouldn't have used the word Vice. Maybe he should have said reading was his hobby or passion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't neglect my responsibilities due to my reading too much, but I do often neglect social stuff. None of my friends are readers, so they consider it abnormal, if not a vice, that often I would rather read a book than go to a loud/drunk/obnoxious party or bar. I might end up having fun, but usually I don't, so I prefer to stay at home and read. I sometimes neglect my friends or a (possible) good time in order to read a book.

Though I admit, even though reading is my favorite activity, I should get out more. I don't want to miss out on stuff. The book will still be there when I get back.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Merriam Webster says this:

1 a: moral depravity or corruption : wickedness b: a moral fault or failing c: a habitual and usually trivial defect or shortcoming : foible <suffered from the vice of curiosity>

and foible is 2 : a minor flaw or shortcoming in character or behavior : weakness <admired their teacher despite his foibles>

I wouldn't consider a smoker depraved, just misguided, yet smoking is said to be a vice.

I just had to look up "cave of Trophonius" in my book. It's so fun to have kindred spirits abound.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is not a vice, it is a passion, an escape, an avenue to enlightenment, and a freeway to laughter.  Reading is freedom.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Depends who you ask and whether or not they are a reader.  Years ago I read non-stop to the point that I would choose not to do things with my DH rather than put the book down and go somewhere. Not a good idea......living with someone who is a reader (or insert any other passion of your choice) can be lonely.  Thankfully I learned from my mistake. 

I still never go anywhere without a book, except when we're on the motorcycle, and I still read a lot, but now I always remember that books don't hug you back (and they don't make supper for you either!).  Usually always read right before bed because that's the way I disconnect and get my brain to settle down from the day...even if it's only 10 minutes worth.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Anything done to extremes can become a vice. You take an aspirin for a headache. Take a large bottle of aspirin and once and you may kill yourself (a definite vice). We need to eat to survive. We eat too much and become obese. Reading is good, but like everything else when taken to extremes it can become bad.

Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went through a period when reading was the only thing I wanted to do. Finally I realized how much I was missing in "real" life. Now I still love reading, but I take time to talk to my husband and my children much more, and I enjoy the opportunity to get out of the house on my days off. Yes, my Kindle is always with me, but I don't read it when someone is trying to talk to me anymore!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
ricky said:
It is not a vice, it is a passion, an escape, an avenue to enlightenment, and a freeway to laughter. Reading is freedom.
Agreed :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
One persons vice is another persons virtue.  Anything done to an extreme is bad.  Back in the days when books were not common and very expensive then perhaps they were a vice since to buy one deprived ones family of money usable for food and shelter.  Now not so much.  If reading is my vice then I'm not doing too badly in this day and age.  :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
The choicest pleasures of life lie within the ring of moderation.
Benjamin Disraeli
Anything done to excess probably won't turn out right. But, IMO, if you are gambling, partying, or buying books and the money you're spending doesn't cause the rent to be late, food not to be on the table, etc. then it's your business and no one else's.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
LDB said:
I went out and read the vice. It only took a couple of seconds. It just said Craftsmen and had a part number stamped in it.
LOL I read mine a long time ago, no plot and very few words. Sorry, this discussion is for the "Is Vice Reading Real" forum. ;D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Gables Girl said:
LOL I read mine a long time ago, no plot and very few words. Sorry, this discussion is for the "Is Vice Reading Real" forum. ;D
Read mine to - it was a pressing demand.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm just glad no one has seen fit to make it one of the seven deadly sins.

On an unrelated note (and b/c I think this is the funniest thing ever), I get some far-out catalogs. Anyway, one of them has depictions of the seven deadly sins for sale (b/c apparently there are people with WAY more eclectic tastes than even mine), and they're having a sale this week:
Buy 4 sins, get 3 sins for free. (it's listed that way in the catalog. I cut out the page and taped it to my desk at work. My manager is not amused.)

Check it out:
http://www.designtoscano.com/product/code/OS69299.do

Be aware: there is some really strange stuff in the catalog and on the website. Some of it could be considered REALLY not safe for work (NSF) to an extreme you might not believe was possible. If you hang around on that site, be careful what you click.

~robin

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
I'm just glad no one has seen fit to make it one of the seven deadly sins.

On an unrelated note (and b/c I think this is the funniest thing ever), I get some far-out catalogs. Anyway, one of them has depictions of the seven deadly sins for sale (b/c apparently there are people with WAY more eclectic tastes than even mine), and they're having a sale this week:
Buy 4 sins, get 3 sins for free. (it's listed that way in the catalog. I cut out the page and taped it to my desk at work. My manager is not amused.)

~robin
ROFLMAO Wow I can all 7 for the price of 4, darn I could have used this for Christmas.......

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Isn't that the truth?  I mean, who can turn down three free sins?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Isn't that the truth? I mean, who can turn down three free sins?
I learned in church I had to pay for my sins, but now I find I can get three free. The Devil is looking for me for this.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts