Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wells83's 2008 booklist and blog got me thinking...I had tried early last year to keep a list of books I read with a few short sentences about the book, etc. I was inspired by a story I read about a man discovering his father's reading journals and discovering the past in the process.

I'd like to start journaling this year, both personal and sort of a reading log.

Does anyone here keep a reading journal or a blog of books read?

If so, what kind of notes do you make?

Is is something short and sweet so that you'll readily know what the book was about or do you go into detail complete with feelings and thoughts?

What is this journal kept in? Is it a handwritten journal or a blog?

Anyone?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I love leather journals and fountain pens. I sometimes type out entries to the computer. I usually have a Currently reading section at the top of the page of my journals then include a quick review of the book. Mostly keep journals to track my own story writing and comtemplations. My entries can get long, but i can go days...weeks...months without writing, if I have nothing noteworthy to document.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I've never done it before, but I've been thinking of doing it now.  It started with finding a way to keep track of my Kindle books.  I look at my bookshelves all the time, so I pretty much know what's on them.  I'm rarely on Little Gertie's home page and when I am, I don't scan down the list.

I found a small two ring binder that holds index cards and listed my K books on individual cards.  Series I put on one card.  I divided them by genre and then by author, which is the way my bookshelves are set up.  I wanted something I could carry with me and I didn't want to have to access my database file every time I wanted to find a book. 

When I finished I thought how easy it would be to make notes on the cards.  There's plenty of space front and back for notes, reviews, ratings or whatever.  So when I have nothing better to do, I'll start going through my little book and make those notes. 

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gertiekindle said:
I've never done it before, but I've been thinking of doing it now. It started with finding a way to keep track of my Kindle books. I look at my bookshelves all the time, so I pretty much know what's on them. I'm rarely on Little Gertie's home page and when I am, I don't scan down the list.

I found a small two ring binder that holds index cards and listed my K books on individual cards. Series I put on one card. I divided them by genre and then by author, which is the way my bookshelves are set up. I wanted something I could carry with me and I didn't want to have to access my database file every time I wanted to find a book.

When I finished I thought how easy it would be to make notes on the cards. There's plenty of space front and back for notes, reviews, ratings or whatever. So when I have nothing better to do, I'll start going through my little book and make those notes.
Wow, you're very organized. It sounds like a great start to a reading log/journal :)))

The more and more that I think of it...like VA mentioned, it's just as easy to incorporate it into my personal journal but I still think I'd like to separate it so I wouldn't have to search around for my thoughts on a book.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I've been keeping a personal journal since 2001 but not a reading journal. I like the concept but I would keep it separate like you suggested chynared.

Linda

I

·
0 Posts
I have tried to keep journals in the past,  I'm no good at it.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Because I have so many books, I started a database of the titles and authors. It is in an Excel spreadsheet. When I am traveling I would look at the books in the airport to see if anything new had come out. Sometimes I just wasn't sure if I had actually bought the book or not. By looking at my list on my computer, I was able to check right away. I'm am still keeping the list and adding my Kindle purchases. I have a column that I enter if the book is in Hardback, Paperback or Kindle. I also keep a column to indicate if the book is part of a series and what number of the series it is. I actually print the list out and put in a 3 ring folder for home. What can I say, I'm a software trainer and have to keep everything organized.

I

·
0 Posts
OMG  If I had to do all this I'd never read again.  I am not picking on anyone or being disrepectful.  I am just not that kind of person.  I consider my self organized if my socks match.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Vampyre said:
OMG If I had to do all this I'd never read again. I am not picking on anyone or being disrespectful. I am just not that kind of person. I consider my self organized if my socks match.
LOL Vamprye, I'm with you. How about this. A 2009 folder on your computer and as you finish a book this year you move it from your kindle to that folder? Quick and easy. At least that's what I plan to do.

However I do keep a journal to write in. I like to write when things get crazy and I need a place to release. I've started journaling since I was in High school---about 1983. I used to write a lot but now don't seem to need to as much. But it's still there if I need it.

theresam

·
Registered
127 Posts
Geemont said:
I've kept a list of books read since December 1997 in a simple database. Generally, I don't make comments about the book, and there are some title I barely remember at all.
That's my problem too--that's why I try to write something, so that I can jog my memory. It can be a chore sometimes though. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Kathy said:
Because I have so many books, I started a database of the titles and authors. It is in an Excel spreadsheet.
I was using Access to set up a database. It worked very well, but I didn't want to have to pull it up every time I wanted to look for something to read.

I have a label file set up so when I buy a book, I add it in and print out that label. Then I stick the label on an index card. Now I have a dozen Agatha Christies to add. It looks like a lot of her books have been Kindleized. Good thing my free $10 certificate came from Coinstar today. I can get two more.

Vampyre said:
I consider my self organized if my socks match.
That's a good start. Keep up the good work. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I hear ya, Vamp.  I've tried to organize my book collection multiple times. . . .it never sticks.  I am in awe of you all who can make it work.

Anyway, now I just have certain bookshelves for ones I've read, and other shelves for ones I haven't.  Every now and then I have to get rid of some because DH is tired of building new bookshelves.  In this way, Kindle is good for him!  :)

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I was using Access to set up a database. It worked very well, but I didn't want to have to pull it up every time I wanted to look for something to read.

I have a label file set up so when I buy a book, I add it in and print out that label. Then I stick the label on an index card. Now I have a dozen Agatha Christies to add. It looks like a lot of her books have been Kindleized. Good thing my free $10 certificate came from Coinstar today. I can get two more.
Gertiekindle where did you find your notebook that holds index cards?

Thanks,
Linda

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wells83 said:
That's my problem too--that's why I try to write something, so that I can jog my memory. It can be a chore sometimes though. :)
That's what I'm afraid of but if I keep it simple maybe I can avoid being overwhelmed. ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Gertiekindle where did you find your notebook that holds index cards?

Thanks,
Linda
WalMart. It's less than $3 and comes with 50 cards. Extra cards are 97 cents a pack. It has a slot inside that I put a list of unreads in and a window in front that I put this picture in.

It's cute and fits in the bag Little Gertie lives in.

I already had some self-adhesive index tabs and I just attached them to blank cards to separate genres.

Vampyre said:
Hugh gave it to her.
It's the other answer ... the WalMart in Hibbing.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
gertiekindle said:

That's a great system. When I'm had one of my sites, I like to browse bookstores. I guess I won't be doing that as much, but having the Excel file on my laptop was a great way to keep from rebuying a book. Sometimes I would look at a book and think I'll wait until I get home and buy and then I couldn't remember if I had or not. One of those senior moments. The Kindle is going to be so much easier. Now I have my books at my fingertips. Love it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts