Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings - How many Kindle books do you read at one time? My personal preference is the way it was with paper books.  I read only one book until I finish it.  Then I start another.  The exception would be reference books.  However, I may have another book on Kindle in the wings.

George

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used to always read one book at a time in DTV.

With the Kindle, I'm reading usually 3 books at a time--sometimes one of those is a paper version, often a library book.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I usually have a few books going at once, but only one Kindle book at a time, the others are DTBs.  It's a function of where the book is (in my purse for away-from-home reading, in the bedroom, in the living room, etc)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find that the Kindle makes it much more convenient for me to alternate between reading two or more books at a time. Right now I'm in the middle of three different books.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Pre-K, I always had 3-4 books going at once.  Car, work (retired now), living room, bedroom, bathroom.  Once I got Little Gertie, I decided I would only read one book at a time.  That didn't last long.  I'm back to reading 3-4 books at once.  The only difference is I now have to remember what room Little Gertie is in when I'm ready to read.  Maybe I should get a fanny bag to carry her around in when I'm at home. 

I still have a DTB in the car, but it's one that I really don't care about.  I only take Little Gertie out when I know I'm going to be sitting and waiting somewhere.  My car book is for waiting in drive through lines. 

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I read 3 or 4 at a time. They are like my friends. Some days I want to see what Claire and Jamie are up to. Other times I check in with Azoth, Edgar or the people of Grace Valley. I do sometimes get caught up in one book and read it until I'm finished.

Melissa

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used to always read one book at a time in DTV also.

But for the first time I am trying 2 at once as I wish to join the In Her Name book club, and do not want to read ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I usually only read one at a time. I always find, if I start a new book while I'm already in the middle of one, the new book will be more interesting, and so I'll put the old book aside. And by the time I'm done with the new book (unless it's really short, or I've had a lot of time to read that week), I'll pretty much have forgotten the plot of the old book, and have to start over.

The exception is with books I'm reading for school, or for this book club. I have another book going in addition to The Whiskey Rebels, and I'm not abandoning either for the other.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I generally try to have one fiction and one nonfiction book going at the same time.  I also read samples sometimes while I am reading another book, like if I got to the end of a chapter and don't want to start the next, but I'm not quite done reading for the night.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I usually only read one at a time, though while I'm working I have the habit of keeping a book at work to read during lunch.  However, I am trying to keep up with ALL the book klubs.  So right now I have 4 going on Kindle.  There's also a paper book by my bed that I will read on if I'm caught up with the klubs.

Ann

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I always read one at a time - but that was BK - now I have a kindle book and 2 or 3 others going, just trying to clear out my DTB library.  If I read a book I can usually tell if I will like it and read it again, so I keep it, for when I have funds to kindle it  :eek: But to answer the original questions, usually, so far, one kindle book at a time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Becoming a Kindler has revamped my reading style.  I used to be the one tome at a time type.  Since I got my Kindle 13 months ago that has changed.  I am now often reading three or four books at a time.  A couple of memoirs, a fiction, and an anthology is the usual mix.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Once I start a new book, I'm dedicated to it until it's done (sometimes to the exclusion of all else in life). Which also means I have to ration myself on starting new books...

Otherwise, I'll jump around amongst all the books I've already read, depending on what I feel like reading at any given time.  

My habits have been the same pre- and post-kindle; the kindle just makes it easier to jump around; I don't have to wander around the house to all the places I have DTB's stacked. Although I do not plan on duplicating my DTB's onto the kindle, unless I win the lottery AND can create folders.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
bosslady said:
Once I start a new book, I'm dedicated to it until it's done
Same here. I sometimes read similar style books and I don't wanna get confused with the writing styles and finding similarities with the stories/plots.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it's a fast read, then it's one book at a time.  Slow reads may be alternated among about 3 to 4 others.... gives me some time to think about what I have read.  The quickest book I ever read with Tyrella was Duma Key by Stephen King.  It was click, click, OMG, click, click until done.  And I was thinking the whole time.  Great read.  Also Dewey, the Library Cat, that went wonderfully fast, great story.  A keeper.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I just counted I have 8 books I'm reading right now.  That is about right, i used to have one book in just about every room of my house and one in the car.  Now all I have to do it remember to take my Kindle with me from room to room.  I may have buy another Kindle so I don't have to keep carrying it around the house.  More chances to drop it while carrying it and I find my self trying to use it as a tray at times which can't be good for it.  One for the downstairs and one for the upstairs.....  That should work, especially if I can synch what I'm reading.  I'll have to see what version 2 brings. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always read three or four DTB books at a time, and on my kindle it's even easier. (I love that the page is saved for each book.) My major problem now is getting my kindle away from my 14 year old daughter! She has already shot her allowance buying kindle books. It's a good thing we still use the library, or poverty could be around the corner with our reading habits

1 - 20 of 21 Posts