Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

I am starting to research a reading/writing table.
The sort that allows you to slide it up to a bed or chair/couch.
So preferably on rollers that would allow for side "entry" under a bed frame.

And is adjustable in height and even angle.

There are LOTS of options out there, I can't seem to focus in on a few in particular.

Here is just one at Levenger I was looking at:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=category=5-22|level=2-3|pageid=6022

What I am asking here is does anyone use these?
And does anyone have good (or bad) experiences with one in particular?

Thanks for the input you may offer,
Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Nowhere NEAR as elegant as anything Levenger produces:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13973067

I have one of these specifically because it's lightweight, folds darn near flat so I can put it out of sight, and is adjustable for height. It does have to be put sideways to use with a bed, so you lose the tilt function that way. I've been using it quite a bit since the K2 arrived, usually with a book easel so I have maximum flexibilty. The disadvantage to the light weight is that I can't use it with anything that might spill--the dogs are forever slamming into the legs of it & everything can go flying!

As far as Levenger goes, I've never had any problems whatsoever with anything I've bought from them. Their quality is exceptional. I'm going to have to think hard about adding the one you listed to my planned accessory list. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
The idea of these sound really awesome.....except I sleep on the left side of the bed.....and I'm right handed......so writing on this would be extremely difficult. But overall I love the idea! When I was younger I had a table with drop legs that I could use in bed- but it was one that had to set upon the mattress and you had to pick it up to move it- not quite as convenient as this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Looking at the tilt portion, it appears to have book rails both top & bottom--I wonder if you can tilt it either way?  That way it would at least work from either side of a bed or chair.

Reading the reviews for it made me think about another issue--you really need to know exactly where you plan to use something like this.  It's not very practical for a couch because you won't be able to pull it at all close to you due to the configuration of the support--so if you do your reading there, you want something where the main support legs will be at the back of the unit, rather than to the side.  If you're reading in a chair, you have to have one that has enough clearance underneath for the base of the table to fit.  And because of the cantilevered top, you're always going to have stability issues unless you go with a heavy duty hospital model.

Just some things to think about.  Again, my little flimsy $20 unit has been doing fairly well; my main complaint is that it's not as stable as I'd prefer.  I'm sure the Levenger would be more so, but there were enough complaints about that in the reviews that I'm not sure it would be enough of an upgrade to be worth the additional cost.  Might be worth looking at other models in that price range.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
VictoriaP said:
Nowhere NEAR as elegant as anything Levenger produces:

As far as Levenger goes, I've never had any problems whatsoever with anything I've bought from them. Their quality is exceptional. I'm going to have to think hard about adding the one you listed to my planned accessory list. LOL
Way to go, Eric! A new enabler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
I use what ak rain said.. a tray that has the beanbag pillow attached..  I just have the rather inexpensive bright plastic ones from Barnes & Noble stashed all over the house.. by my chair, by the bed and several others that are flipped with the pillow on top that make excellent places for my cat to snooze!  Talk about multi-use.  BN also had or has heavier wooden lap desks but I really like the lighter ones.

Mostly for reading I don't use a desk at all, but I do have the M Edge platform so I can prop up the kindle at angles if I want.

Levenger is such a great wishbook!!  Anything I've ever had of theirs is high quality. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
ElevenFortySix! said:
Hi Folks!

I am starting to research a reading/writing table.
The sort that allows you to slide it up to a bed or chair/couch.
So preferably on rollers that would allow for side "entry" under a bed frame.

And is adjustable in height and even angle.

There are LOTS of options out there, I can't seem to focus in on a few in particular.

Here is just one at Levenger I was looking at:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=category=5-22|level=2-3|pageid=6022

What I am asking here is does anyone use these?
And does anyone have good (or bad) experiences with one in particular?

Thanks for the input you may offer,
Eric
Eric - I have wanted this table for ever but just could not justify the money. So one day I showed the catalog to my S/O and off to the garage wood shop he went. His version of this table sits beside my recliner and I LOVE IT. He built mine so you can use it on either side as well. You cant go wrong with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I just wanted to say... I love Levenger. I've loved all their stuff forever and ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
that levenger is gorgeous if you have the money, If you can craft and build better yet. Stressless furniture has a little table that swings in and out (of the way) that looks real nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
ak rain said:
that levenger is gorgeous if you have the money, If you can craft and build better yet. Stressless furniture has a little table that swings in and out (of the way) that looks real nice.
If you want something like the Levenger table, but not as expensive, some months back I bought an Ameriwood laptop cart from Fry's Electronics; the two desk sections have front and back rails and can be tilted independently, and the elevations of the top can be adjusted. If you don't have a Fry's in your area, you may be able to find a local dealer who stocks the brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
srmalloy said:
If you want something like the Levenger table, but not as expensive, some months back I bought an Ameriwood laptop cart from Fry's Electronics; the two desk sections have front and back rails and can be tilted independently, and the elevations of the top can be adjusted. If you don't have a Fry's in your area, you may be able to find a local dealer who stocks the brand.
Nice VERY helpful.
You rock!

Eric
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,326 Posts
We got one of these once and decided the quality just wasn't there.  Don't remember the brand but I know it didn't cost more than about $40.

Ann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
srmalloy said:
If you want something like the Levenger table, but not as expensive, some months back I bought an Ameriwood laptop cart from Fry's Electronics; the two desk sections have front and back rails and can be tilted independently, and the elevations of the top can be adjusted. If you don't have a Fry's in your area, you may be able to find a local dealer who stocks the brand.
Staples also has something very similiar. I used to have one - one warning, the leg is kind-of high and may not slide under furniture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top