Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

· Registered
1,597 Posts
Not natively. Per website:
Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Question - what is the Archive thing that you mentioned?

I guess they stopped making K1s in December. If you have a problem now, I guess you will get a K2 replacement.

Since they didn't include folders, there must be some technological reason why not. This was the #1 request for improvements on all the lists. They wouldn't have ignored it if there wasn't some big problem.

Steve

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm upset about the SD card. My MIL was going to share her books with my Husband and I via a SD card. Now I'm not sure what to do. My husband wanted to store the books on an SD card in case something went nuts with the amazon site. Now I've got to figure it all out. You  would think that making us wait for our orders we have had placed for months they would have at least thrown in a free case for us or something. I also don't like that the K1 owners get priority over our very early orders.

· Registered
748 Posts
missajeep said:
I'm upset about the SD card. My MIL was going to share her books with my Husband and I via a SD card. Now I'm not sure what to do. My husband wanted to store the books on an SD card in case something went nuts with the amazon site. Now I've got to figure it all out. You would think that making us wait for our orders we have had placed for months they would have at least thrown in a free case for us or something. I also don't like that the K1 owners get priority over our very early orders.
You can't share books via SD card swapping. If the Kindles are on the same account, you can each download a copy of the book for no extra charge.

Oh, and welcome to Kindle Boards!

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I could live without a SD card, even though I put music and photos on it. 2G would do for now, but not forever. I could live without the replaceable memory. I would probably upgrade to K4 before the battery gives out. But with no folders, I have no reason to upgrade. Yes the text to speech is cool and with be an enormous help to blind folks who want to read, but will be marginally helpful to most people. I wanted a reason to upgrade. The thinner design is nice, but I'm not thrilled with the larger footprint. It seems to be about the same weight, so all they did was rearrange the parts to get a different form factor. Faster page turns are nice, but I'm used to the K1's turns, so its not a big deal for me. I really wanted to upgrade, but they just didn't give me a good reason to do it.

Steve

· Premium Member
12,961 Posts
The good thing about the folders question... it can be addressed strictly through a software update. It's not a hardware issue, so when (and if) it comes, it will probably be made available for both Kindle 1 and Kindle 2.

· Registered
113 Posts
Please forgive my less than adequate knowledge on this type of technology, but what happens when the battery dies completely?  How long can a non-replaceable battery last? I don't like this feature, but if I continue to keep my order active I will be upgraded to the Kindle two.  The battery thing is the only thing that scares me, otherwise I like  everything else about it.  Any help is appreciated on this topic.  Please help me feel better about this.  :-\  Thanks.

· Registered
806 Posts
BookBinder said:
Please forgive my less than adequate knowledge on this type of technology, but what happens when the battery dies completely? How long can a non-replaceable battery last? I don't like this feature, but if I continue to keep my order active I will be upgraded to the Kindle two. The battery thing is the only thing that scares me, otherwise I like everything else about it. Any help is appreciated on this topic. Please help me feel better about this. :-\ Thanks.
I assume that once the battery dies for good the k2 will go to that big recycling bin next to the landfill (or up to kindle heaven depending on your point of view).

· Registered
798 Posts
I would assume that if you keep Whispernet off, the battery will last for quite a while, though I couldn't be sure of how many months/years it will last.

I have a 5th generation iPod which I bought right when it was released (in 2006), and the battery still works on that with no trouble, so I figure it would be similar.

cliffs1 said:
As far as the SD card issue, this thing holds 1500 books without one.
Between samples and free books from Gutenberg etc, 1500 is smaller than it seems.

· Registered
673 Posts
cliffs1 said:
As far as the SD card issue, this thing holds 1500 books without one.
Everyone is forgetting something about on board memory. Its not a total of 2 gigs. You need room for the firmware. Everytime the firmware updates it will take more of your 2 gigs up so you will never have 1500 books on it.

PLUS those who are buying a K2 must remember how IPods are..I bet within 6 months a K2.5 with more on board memory will be on sale.

· Registered
184 Posts
My griping is over.  I'm getting a K2! Woot!  ;D

I've sent M-Edge an email about exchanging my K1 for a K2 cover (so my Lite will still be cool).  My SD card is useful for all sorts of tasks (I can archive books to it from the computer - likely use-case for me).  That leaves the DecalGirl skin.  Time to check their website out for exchange possibilities.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a complaint!  My Kindle broke LAST NIGHT!  What sort of Limbo Land have I just arrived at?  :eek:  My right hand "next page" button is inoperable.  Booo hooo!  I have not called them yet, I am scared to hear the prognosis.

~Heather
My Precious- Best Mother's Day gift EVER!

21 - 40 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.