Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got one of these for my wife as we are going on a trip next week.  Will this have to be charged before use (even limited use, like the initial setup and the downloading of the couple of books I started her off with)?

I want her to be able to "wrap" this as new, but if it has to be charged, then I'd better spring this on her earlier than while going to the airport!

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You are the best husband ever!  Yes, you will want to charge it before you go on your trip.  Hope she enjoys it!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello JustLJ, Welcome Aboard...

Depending on the length of your trip, you might want to bring the charger along also. Remember to turn off the Whispernet button when you won't be downloading books or being on-line with Kindle, it will save LOTS of battery time that way. For only reading books, they say it should hold the charge with whispernet off for about 5-7 days.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Mine came fully charged, I suspect yours will as well. I think I waited two days before I put the charger on it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Mine came with one-half battery showing on the screen. I plugged it in and it charged within an hour or so.

LJ, also....make sure to take the charger with you on your trip. Although there are people who disagree with me, I do not believe that the USB cable is effective for trickle charging the Kindle. I have heard of 3 people who went on a trip intending to use their USB cables and their Kindles were dead as doornails within 24 hours.

Welcome to the group and what a nice gift!

L

·
Registered
49 Posts
You are a very thoughtful husband!  I'm with the others when I say bring the charger.  You could wrap the whole thing up (that way you'd have the charger with you).  I've even charged mine in the airport!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Of course he is bringing the charger, he doesn't want to open the box before her!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Downloading the books does take a bit of juice. Well, not the downloading, but the indexing can drain the battery a bit depending on how many books you download.

Personally, I recommend opening it up, charging it, then packing it back up to give to her. Then again, I'm the type of person that always charges or puts batteries in everything I give as a gift.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
You should make your email address public and see how many polygamy offers you get.  Good job hubby; where do I apply? 

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello JustLJ and welcome. You are one cool husband, what a lucky lady your wife is! I am a lucky wife, too!!
I can't add much to what everyone else has said. My kindle was pretty much ready to go right out of the box,
and since I had time to buy books before it arrived, I already had reading material waiting for me on the kindle!

·
Registered
378 Posts
JustLJ also be prepared for a bit of Kindle envy.  Even if you don't read much the Kindle is an awesome sight to behold.  My husband rarely reads and he definitely has Kindle envy. 

RLA1996

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Of course he is bringing the charger, he doesn't want to open the box before her!
I thought of that as I was typing the message...LOL. But I still think it is good to let people know that the USB is not effective as a charger--unlike iPhones, iPods, etc.

L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mydreamywish said:
You are the best husband ever! Yes, you will want to charge it before you go on your trip. Hope she enjoys it!
Thanks for the news.
I may print your reply as a testament! :-[

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sailor said:
Hello JustLJ, Welcome Aboard...

Depending on the length of your trip, you might want to bring the charger along also. Remember to turn off the Whispernet button when you won't be downloading books or being on-line with Kindle, it will save LOTS of battery time that way. For only reading books, they say it should hold the charge with whispernet off for about 5-7 days.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rla1996 said:
JustLJ also be prepared for a bit of Kindle envy. Even if you don't read much the Kindle is an awesome sight to behold. My husband rarely reads and he definitely has Kindle envy.

RLA1996
I likely will at some time, but I currently read books on my Palm Treo. She's the book hound who will just eat this up.

Thank you all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts