Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to chime in on my experience with a couple of programs that I'm using to edit the Trinity Saga. The first is StyleWriter, and it's perfect for Copy Editing. the second is WhiteSmoke, which is astonishingly useful in helping you create stronger sentences. Both tell you exactly how you can improve it and what type of sentence it is, negative, passive, etc.

Anyone have any software that they use that they absolutely love?

·
Registered
548 Posts
The only software I've ever tried and loved was HealADoc--it seemed similar to StyleWriter, though had less features, I believe. I'd still use it, but unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my version of Windows anymore and I think the developer stopped making updates. :(

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on my experience with a couple of programs that I'm using to edit the Trinity Saga. The first is StyleWriter, and it's perfect for Copy Editing. the second is WhiteSmoke, which is astonishingly useful in helping you create stronger sentences. Both tell you exactly how you can improve it and what type of sentence it is, negative, passive, etc.
I notice it works with Word. Does it also work with Open Office and LibreOffice?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ronnell,

This looks like quite a useful software.  I may end up giving it a try on my next novel.  Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
For it's simplicity and customizability of interface and lack of too many distracting bells and whistles...

...I love Focus Writer 1.3.3 for first drafts.

Just enough tools to keep you pressing forward, @(#@ the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Plus, it's free.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Anything wonderful for Mac users?

Sheila

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm going to look into that WhiteSmoke software.

I plugged into their free online tool (250 char max) a couple of lines of a manuscript I'm working on that's in a rough staet, and it did tighten up the language quite a bit. Enough for me to wish they had a trial version, anyway.

It's kinda pricey at $150 for the uber-version, but I'm not averse to investing in my writing career, especially if it's going to make my work better.

EDIT:

They DO have a trial version. Can't install it from work (damned draconian internet filters), but I'll certainly be checking it out later from home.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Lol

I was once a PC person.  I have given birth to PC people.  I am now a Mac person... but I understand.  :p

Sheila

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Check out autocrit. It's web-based (and no, they don't store your data).. It's not a substitute (no software is) for a real human editor, but it will help you clean up some of the stupid stuff so your editor can focus on the more important bits.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I recently used Editor on a manuscript and found it to be useful.

However, as a Mac person, it was a little tedious having to boot into Windows to run it, save the results files, and then go back to Wonderland to do work again. I'd run it in a Wine bottle, but I use it infrequently enough that rebooting isn't a big deal (I suppose I could reinstall Parallels, but that'd be too much like work).

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Autocrit and Serenity software are both great products that help with editing and some coaching. They don;t presume to replace a "human" editor, and they aren;t a crutch to "poof" give you what you weren't brn with (like dangling prepostions).  ;D Like good support software, they're worn on your toolbelt, like yur computer, and support the struggle needed to emerge as an author.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here's my two cents and you can obviously see where I'm coming from ;)

You don't really think software could possibly be as good as a real person, do you? Can software recognize that you changed someone's hair color? Or their street name? Or does it pick up awkwardly written sentences or words you overuse? Can software find out if you've fact checked when fountain pens became available or whether a charge filed is really a misdemeanor in Texas? Can software make certain you have the spelling of a public figure correct? Can software recognize that you never made a person sit even though in one sentence they are standing and the next they are lounging in a chair? Me thinks not.

Obviously I have an agenda, but I'm shocked that anyone would rely on software to edit their books. You do mean just as a final check before sending it off to an editor, right? :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
ebookeditingpro said:

You don't really think software could possibly be as good as a real person, do you? Can software recognize that you changed someone's hair color? Or their street name? Or does it pick up awkwardly written sentences or words you overuse? Can software find out if you've fact checked when fountain pens became available or whether a charge filed is really a misdemeanor in Texas? Can software make certain you have the spelling of a public figure correct? Can software recognize that you never made a person sit even though in one sentence they are standing and the next they are lounging in a chair? Me thinks not.

Obviously I have an agenda, but I'm shocked that anyone would rely on software to edit their books. You do mean just as a final check before sending it off to an editor, right? :)
It's a tool. Like a computer, or a notepad, or a "world guide". No more or less valuable than any other, and not something that would or should allow you to skip the vital step of professional editing.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
People are irrelevant.

Resistance is futile.

We will add your distinctiveness to our own.

You WILL be assimilated!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ebookeditingpro said:

It's not an automatic editor, wherein you plug in your manuscript and then it says "It's edited!" - Like Jason said, it's a tool. For those of us who aren't such great editors and can't shell out $900 for a basic copy edit it's a very useful method.

But with a screen name like ebookeditingpro I can see why you'd be most unhappy if there were programs out there like that. I mean, I won't lie - if such a lazy program existed I would use it and then read over what changes it had done to fix any mistakes it had made, but that's because it's much cheaper than the alternative.

We're indies, and times are hard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts