Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not accept VerticalScope's Terms Of Service on Kboards, and have asked for my account to be deleted, along with all of my posts.

If you are here as a result of a Google search, leave now. The owners of this site are interested only in your possible ad revenue.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Finer grain control of keywords, tags, categories, etc...

If you go thru D2D or Smashwords to publish to Kobo, Nook, etc, then you are forced to use the keywords available to D2D or Smashwords, which may be different from what you can get if you go direct.
Since Keywords are the "key" to discoverability, this is important.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Neither B&N nor Kobo uses keywords, so that's a moot point. The big thing is categories. Aggregator categories don't always match up to the distributor categories. For example, Smashwords only allows you to pick two categories. On B&N you get five, and on Kobo you get three. So you're already missing out. D2D is better because they let you pick five, but if you pick all five because you're uploading to B&N, then which three get picked for your Kobo categories?

Aggregators are also usually strict about not including metadata in your title/subtitle/series names. This can severely hamper your ability to gain visibility with distributors like B&N who do not have keywords and don't index the blurb field.

On the other hand, if you have very low sales volume it's probably not worth the headache of creating custom ebooks and uploading to everyone - at least not right away.  And since it can become something of a time sink, rather than spending a bunch of time optimizing for each individual site you might be better off spending those hours working on new books.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not accept VerticalScope's Terms Of Service on Kboards, and have asked for my account to be deleted, along with all of my posts.

If you are here as a result of a Google search, leave now. The owners of this site are interested only in your possible ad revenue.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Amazon & B&N: Always go direct. It's too easy and not worth giving an aggregator 15% of your sales.

Kobo: Toss-up. It's very easy to go direct. Use same file for B&N and Kobo.
  Pros: I have fewer problems with them direct.
  Cons: They take longer to pay if you're direct. You have to meet a payment ceiling of $100.

Apple: Use D2D. Apple is a pain to go direct to and D2D does follow-up with you and them if there are any problems. SW doesn't do that.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I'm not sure where the "pays every six months" thing came from. I've been on KOBO for years, and they pay every month, just like the rest of the outlets.

Here's my justification for going direct everywhere:

1. I don't want to give someone a cut of my royalties. This may not seem like much to some folks who anticipate selling a modest number of books, but if your title did take off... if a future release resonates with readers, then seeing a percentage of your royalties going to someone else would hurt.

2. When I run ads or do promotional campaigns, I want to track the results. Going direct allows me the most up-to-the-minute sales reporting information. I'm constantly seeing threads on this forum about SW and D2D experiencing delays in reporting. This would be maddening if I had a big promo going on.

3. As mentioned above, you have more direct control over keywords, updates, and metadata in general. I've read numerous threads on this forum complaining about the time it takes to change a cover, or category, or other item via these middlemen. In fairness, it's not always perfect when you go direct, but why muddy the waters further?

4. If there's a problem, I don't have to deal with another entity.

The bottom line is that all of these outlets have made great strides in their user interfaces. It is very easy to upload a book on any of them, with Apple's iTunes probably being the most fussy. If I were you, I'd reverse the question - why go through a middleman?

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
T. M. Bilderback said:
Patty, when you say that Kobo heavily favors authors that load direct, how?
Because they do.

Kobo is run by actual human beings who will go through their database and pick out interesting titles and showcase them, but almost exclusively titles that are direct. For example the First free in series page on these boards. Mark Leslie (the CEO of KWL) comes to these boards.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Joe Nobody: if you don't make the $100 ceiling that month, they hold your payment. If you never make it, they're supposed to pay you in 6 months.

B&N is too easy to go direct. Why would you want to give someone 15% of your royalties, when all you need to do is click the epub option on Calibre? It makes no sense to go through an aggregator for B&N.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You can't upload direct to Scribd if you want to be part of the lending service.

The five categories in D2D are used in descending order and iTunes only uses the first one, which is how I discovered how it worked.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Anything priced at .99 should only be uploaded to BN through D2D, as they've negotiated a higher royalty rate than if you go direct, and even with their cut, you get more money than going direct.

Besides that, you should always go direct everywhere if you can. It only makes sense.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Sophrosyne said:
B&N is too easy to go direct. Why would you want to give someone 15% of your royalties, when all you need to do is click the epub option on Calibre? It makes no sense to go through an aggregator for B&N.
Regional challenges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts