Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been about a month since I uploaded my books onto the Kindle store. They're been out as POD on paperback since 2006 and 2009, respectively, and I went with the original covers. Both the old covers were done by people other than myself, and attempting to give off something of a graphic novel vibe.

I was always super happy with them, but I've noticed a few comments in my reviews along the lines of "I almost didn't buy it because of the terrible cover..." or "The cover totally undersells the book." I figure if there are people who almost didn't buy it because of the cover, there are probably those who actually didn't buy it, but I put that aside to take a crack myself at the cover for the $0.99 title I was putting up. Here's the result of that:

That came out pretty cool, so I figured I'd knuckle down on the other titles and see if I could change those "Didn't buy it because I didn't like the cover" people into "THE COVER WAS AWESOME, I BOUGHT TEN COPIES!"

I kept the colour scheme, for the purposes of (horrible phrase, but) brand identity, and the website I already have, but other than that, it's a pretty big rejigging. I'm a pretty terrible artist, so I went with the stark, simple design look, ala Olly Moss or Saul Bass. So, now I'm hoping my frankly dire sales will take an upswing. Has anyone else retooled their designs like this and seen any noticable outcome, be it positive or negative? I guess you should be careful of losing the identity of your books, especially if you've been putting yourself out there for a while, but I think I've held onto that, while still updating the look. Although, there may be a bunch of replies telling me the old versions were better.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes...rebranding the cover is quite effective.  My original cover art for The Unearthing's eBook was dreadful, and probably cost me a lot of early sales.  In fact, I redid the cover several times, listening to the advice of my fellow KBers (said advice sometimes taking the form of necessary cruelty) and mastered it.

Worked so well, in fact, that when I did the cover of "Darkness", I got it right the first time!

As for Never Mind...I'm still working on a new cover concept.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I really like the new design.  They actually say what I think you meant to say with the first designs.  The new ones feel more... hip.

(Pedantic Note: From your post, I realize you understand the difference between "branding" and "designing," but I would just like to point out to folks who don't: branding refers to your overall image and strategy. It isn't meant to sell books to strangers, but rather to increase your recognizability.  Design is the tool we use as a part of branding, and also for selling.  I would call what's going on here, "redesigning" an existing brand, rather than "rebranding." Since branding is critical to indies, I think it's important for us to know the difference, even if we use the terms interchangeably.)

Camille

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SteveKarmazenuk said:
Yes...rebranding the cover is quite effective. My original cover art for The Unearthing's eBook was dreadful, and probably cost me a lot of early sales. In fact, I redid the cover several times, listening to the advice of my fellow KBers (said advice sometimes taking the form of necessary cruelty) and mastered it.
This is encouraging. I guess I'm lucky to have caught this early in the Kindle lifespan of these books. Probably best not to think about the past five years of potential missed sales though.

daringnovelist said:
I really like the new design. They actually say what I think you meant to say with the first designs. The new ones feel more... hip.
Thanks. That's what I was hoping, as far as them saying something, and nailing in one abstract image the tone and content of the book. Tricky. Looking back, the others were just too obvious.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not sure but I've heard it helps.
I re-did my covers:  Made the text bigger etc.
Not sure if I pulled it off.
If anyone has any ideas by all means field them.

Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts