Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this will be okay with the mods. I'm looking for reading material, and the promo thread is daunting (plus I keep finding out of date stuff, which is a bit frustrating when something looks cool and it's not available anymore!).

What I'm looking for:

Primarily SFF, although SFF-Romance is great, too. In particular, I love steampunk, historical urban fantasy, epic fantasy, fairy tale retellings, and science fantasy. I like space opera; Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan novels are some of my favorite books ever. Oh, it doesn't matter if it's YA or adult; I'm also fine with books with sex, but I'm not looking for erotica (books with plot-important sex don't count as this IMO). I'm less interested in grimdark, with the caveat that I'll make exceptions for ones that fit what else I'm looking for below (I find most grimdark to not have terribly well-developed women characters; GRRM being an exception to this).

I prefer female protagonists, or if there's a male protag, lots of well-developed important women characters. I especially like to see where the women hold their own. For another example, Scott Lynch's series has male protagonists, but the women kick butt. I love the pirate queen in the second book.

I would LOVE for books with diverse characters. I'm both disabled and queer, and I don't see nearly enough fiction with characters "like me". POC or non-normative gender or sexualities (like trans characters or asexual characters) are also great, because you don't see much of them; I'd also love stories with poly romances because, well, I'm poly, and it's hard to find that in recent SFF. I like things that are "quirky" and a bit off the beaten path. I love to read about different characters than you normally see, and I know that Indie publishing is great for niches like this.

I'm mostly a lurker but the KB folk have seemed really awesome, and since I am looking for reading material, I would love for folks to recommend me their work, especially if it fits the above. If it "sorta" fits (like, you've got a book with queer characters but it's grimdark, or urban fantasy, which I'm a bit burnt out on), rec it anyway! Blurbs would be great, if you don't mind taking the moment, and if the first book is free or cheap, I'd love to know about it. I'm on a budget, so I have to be careful -- but if I find a book I love, I will glom the rest of the series in one go. :D

So, rec me your book. I'd love to see what you have. TY in advance. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you would like my book Exodus. It's a male protagonist, but his sister becomes a strong female character. The image in my sig should take you to the book which is free.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Well, my books tick off some of your boxes, but not all. They're Steampunk, but feature a young male protagonist. There's a couple of stronger female characters, but the main one, Nadine, does not appear in the permafree, sorry. She infiltrates the situation in book one.
They are in my sig line if you are interested! TY :)

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
I won rec my books (though you can see some of them in my signature, including some you might enjoy), but I want to do a shout out for the Speculative Fiction Showcase, a group blog for all things indie SFF I run together with another KBoarder.

We have frequent new release spotlights as well as a monthly round-up of new releases. Over time, we have featured quite a few books with female protagonists and diverse characters, written by diverse writers, because like you we'd prefer the SFF genre to become a bit more diverse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CoraBuhlert said:
I won rec my books (though you can see some of them in my signature, including some you might enjoy), but I want to do a shout out for the Speculative Fiction Showcase, a group blog for all things indie SFF I run together with another KBoarder.

We have frequent new release spotlights as well as a monthly round-up of new releases. Over time, we have featured quite a few books with female protagonists and diverse characters, written by diverse writers, because like you we'd prefer the SFF genre to become a bit more diverse.
Awesome! I'll definitely check it out. I'm always looking for books by diverse authors, too. :D

(I also picked up your "Debts To Pay" because I love love love female mercenary stories.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SB James said:
Well, my books tick off some of your boxes, but not all. They're Steampunk, but feature a young male protagonist. There's a couple of stronger female characters, but the main one, Nadine, does not appear in the permafree, sorry. She infiltrates the situation in book one.
They are in my sig line if you are interested! TY :)
I checked out the blurb and it sounds really cool. Knowing that the women become more important later on is also cool, especially for an intro. I'm just not into series where it's action hero guys all the time, you know? I've read enough of those to last a lifetime, LOL.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
In particular, I love steampunk, historical urban fantasy, epic fantasy, fairy tale retellings, and science fantasy.
Oh, me! I've got everything but the steampunk. I have an epic urban fantasy with historical underpinnings and SCIENCE! My story features Loki in the modern world, but their are flashbacks to ancient Asgard. Besides being a fantasy retelling of norse myth, the story starts out with a girl on her way to grandma's house being chased by a very bad wolf. Could a god of mischief be convinced to save her? Can he even save himself?

And the first installment is free:
http://www.amazon.com/Bring-Fire-Part-Wolves-Story-ebook/dp/B008UUIGB2/

Cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J.A. Sutherland said:
I'll toss mine in the ring. :) It's not steampunk, but it has a definite Georgian/Regency flavor to it and the steampunk audience seems to like it for that.
Sounds awesome. Snagged. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C. Gockel said:
Oh, me! I've got everything but the steampunk. I have an epic urban fantasy with historical underpinnings and SCIENCE! My story features Loki in the modern world, but their are flashbacks to ancient Asgard. Besides being a fantasy retelling of norse myth, the story starts out with a girl on her way to grandma's house being chased by a very bad wolf. Could a god of mischief be convinced to save her? Can he even save himself?

And the first installment is free:
http://www.amazon.com/Bring-Fire-Part-Wolves-Story-ebook/dp/B008UUIGB2/

Cheers!
... you had me sold at "Loki" (says the pagan). XD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drewavera said:
I think you would like my book Exodus. It's a male protagonist, but his sister becomes a strong female character. The image in my sig should take you to the book which is free.
Sounds very cool! Grabbed. Man, I'm going to be reading for awhile. ^_^

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geoff Jones said:
Do you like dinosaurs?

The Dinosaur Four is available on Kindle Unlimited if you want to check it out.

Geoff
Dinos aren't quite my thing, BUT, I glanced over the reviews and someone described it as Stephen King style thriller. I have a good friend who LOVES dinos, can't get enough of em, and is a huge Stephen King fan (like, I bought him a Dark Tower fan t-shirt for Xmas and he wears it all the time). I'll pass on the rec to him, because I'm pretty sure it'll be right up his alley. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
carinasanfey said:
While my Victor Barnier series definitely doesn't tick your SFF box (spy thriller), it ticks some of your other boxes. The protagonist is male, but there are plenty of kick-ass women as secondary characters, and there's a prominent character who is a wheelchair user. (As a wheelchair user myself, I get epically frustrated when I find that we apparently don't exist in fiction.) The first book, Hotel Caruso, is free if you'd like to try it out. :)

I'm also in the process of writing a fantasy series with a female wheelchair-using protagonist, so watch this space. I should be putting the first one up in late March, all going according to plan...
Oh my gods, yes, I'm a part-time wheelchair user myself, and it's also a frustration of mine. I love the idea of a wheelchair-using spy so I'll definitely pick it up... and keep an eye out for the fantasy, which sounds like something I would really love. Do you have a mailing list or such so I can get a notification when it's available? (My friends joke I have the memory of a goldfish...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Nonny, My Marchwood Vampire series mixes Gothic historical with urban fantasy and has a seriously feisty heroine. So it might be up your street. Book 1 is part of a fab fantasy 6-book box set if you wanted to take a look: www.amazon.com/When-Darkness-Falls-Paranormal-Novels-ebook/dp/B00N7I5SB8

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shalini Boland said:
Hi Nonny, My Marchwood Vampire series mixes Gothic historical with urban fantasy and has a seriously feisty heroine. So it might be up your street. Book 1 is part of a fab fantasy 6-book box set if you wanted to take a look: www.amazon.com/When-Darkness-Falls-Paranormal-Novels-ebook/dp/B00N7I5SB8
Oh sweet! It sounds really good, and some of the other authors in the set are ones I like, too. Win! (I'm not sure how I didn't hear about this particular set before now. o_O )

1 - 20 of 69 Posts