Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm working on a new series that will be comprised of novellas (25-30k words). Each will have some sort of ending, but they will be meant to be read serially.

I've finished the first novella. Now in chapter 2 of the second novella, the characters of the first book show up again. How much recapping do I need to do in situations like this, where the installments immediately follow one another?

Thanks!

G

·
I vote for none.

Unless all your readers are goldfish with zero memory retention.

I could be your reader, Why flesh out the plot repeatedly for every book just because you think people might forget the previous plot.

Totally unnecessary, in my opinion.

:D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tobias,

Yes, I think you're right. It would basically be punishing the more attentive/intelligent/loyal readers.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I agree with both of the above. If there is a recap (not needed in this day and age of instant downloads of series) it should be separate, easily identifiable, and skippable.

As a reader, the absolute worst thing for me (back in the day of print only, usually) were recaps worked into the first chapter, filled with (to me) unnecessary exposition and reminders, so I had to slog through them to pick out a few new details I needed to continue reading.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Jason and David. I guess I was just being a little paranoid.

My plan is to do segments of three novellas closely linked (which can then be combined into one novel for print, etc) with more of a break between segments. Maybe then I could use Jason's technique of adding a synopsis.

Speaking of TV, was thinking of calling the novellas "episodes", but wonder if that doesn't sound a little contrived.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Bob Stewart said:
Thanks, Jason and David. I guess I was just being a little paranoid.

My plan is to do segments of three novellas closely linked (which can then be combined into one novel for print, etc) with more of a break between segments. Maybe then I could use Jason's technique of adding a synopsis.

Speaking of TV, was thinking of calling the novellas "episodes", but wonder if that doesn't sound a little contrived.
I also vote yes to a skippable recap page. There's nothing more tedious than wading through recaps in series. I also think calling the novellas 'episodes' works well, as readers will instantly know what type of read they're getting.

Good luck with the series!

·
Registered
125 Posts
A literal recap is probably unnecessary, but it's not a bad idea to refresh the reader's minds with minor details like a character's appearance, how they got to the current scene (ie a passing mention of what happened immediately before this/at the end of the last book), etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts