Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could be wrong, but I suspect that the forum software allows you to set a variable time for how long members are shown as being online after they leave and for how long they will show as being doing the same thing in the "Who's Online" page after they leave.  The current setting is 90 minutes.  Could we shorten that?  I don't like getting excited to see that someone is currently online only to discover that they left over an hour ago.

But the real annoyance is the "guests" (many of whom are spiders) who clutter up the "Who's Online" feature for pages and pages because they made one ten-second scan of a particular forum page and we have to know that for an hour and a half.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Once again I'm seeing nine people with whom I can interact when only one of them is actually online.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
G'morning Jim!

I guess I don't see the problem; the feature clearly identifies the list as people active the last 90 minutes and one can readily determine who is actually on line, as you have done.  Shortening the time, unless we shortened to under 10 seconds, wouldn't change any of the things you're commenting on; the spiders would still show up, and people who are offline will still be offline though they might have been online as recently as 10 seconds ago.

You can go to the Members page (top line menu) and sort by Status, the left most column, by clicking on Status; it defaults to sort currently online to the top, and no guests are shown there.  This is as easy (two clicks) as scrolling to the bottom of the Kboards page to look at the "who's online" feature, and the list was a lot easier to read, IMHO, than trying to pick out names in that paragraph of name.  Hope this helps!

Interestingly, I had never even looked at this feature on the home page until your comment.  I tend to go for the posts of interest and respond to them whether someone is online or not.  I did stalk Chynared the other day when I saw she was still online and 3 posts from 1000.  Is it that you think LR is online when she's not--aww, that's sweet!  ;D

Betsy

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ It's not really a "problem." It's just.... messy. I use the "Who's Online" function quite a bit. And it is overloaded with spiders and one-shot "guests" over actual members by about a 20:1 margin. It seems to me that shortening the time period from 90 to, say, 30 minutes has zero downside (unless you really want to see a grossly inflated count of members/guests "currently online") and has some (minimal) upside.

Not a big issue for me, merely a suggestion. *shrug*

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Thanks Jim, I'm inclined to leave it as is for now, but acknowledge you do raise some good points. I set it at 90 in each of my boards, as that setting also acts as a time-out counter - where you can re-enter the boards without having to log in.

It has the pleasant side effect of showing more people as being 'online', which is nice when a board is starting up - - but that is not much of a problem around here - anymore!

Anyhow, those are some of my thoughts on it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ I guess I don't worry about having to log in since I have cookies enabled both at home and at work.  But I suppose that people who don't might appreciate the 90-minute timespan.  *shrug*

Like I said, it's not a major issue.  Merely a minor annoyance I thought I'd mention. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, Harvey, I'll point out that whenever you login, you are given several options as to how long you want your login session to last.  One of the options (and the one I utilize) is "forever."

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread is going nowhere and will accomplish nothing.

*sprays the Raid*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts