Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on rechargeable batteries.

Especially the AA and AAA sizes.

When fully charged do they give you a usage life (per charge) similar to conventional batteries?

Does the super fast charge rates (Even as little as 15 minutes for a full charge) have a disadvantage over longer charge rate specs?

Thank you,.
Eric

·
Registered
904 Posts
Rechargeable batteries in most cases will last longer than conventional batteries.  I'm a digital photographer and have been using rechargeable batteries for years.  It depends on the device but I would imagine the rechargeables will last at least as long as conventional batteries.  I was always  told to use a slow charge unless I need the batteries right away.  I think you'd have to experiment to see how the Fast charge works. Rechargeables are always my first choice. I just started using rechareables in my Mighty Light.  I'll see how they last.
jp

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I've been using rechargable batteries in a set of wireless headphones that I use most evenings and it seems to me they've lasted wayyy longer than conventional batteries.  I recharge them every day with the recharger built into the headphones.  I'm on my second set of rechargable batteries and I've had these headphones maybe 4-5 years?  Maybe longer?  Long enough anyway I can't remember when I bought them.

Betsy

·
Registered
191 Posts
You're in luck! I just spent the better part of yesterday researching rechargeable batteries! It seems to me everyone is agreeing that the Ni-Mh (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries are the best. They have the lowest self-discharge rate of any rechargeable battery currently on the market. Apparently the older rechargeable suffer from losing their power over a period of time, even when they are not in use. For instance, if you were to put your battery in a flash light or something, and then wait a year, it might be dead. The Ni-MH batteries will only lose 15% of their original charge after 12 months. I think Amazon sells the Duracell version and the Sanyo version (eneloop) as they are called. I just ordered some yesterday. From what I read the longer it takes a battery to charge, typically the better. There are also 'smart' chargers and 'dumb' chargers. A dumb charger will more or less just set your batteries on a charging timer (i.e. 6 hours) at the end of this time period the charge will cut off, whether or not your battery is full. A smart charger is actually going to use a sensor to tell the charge level of your battery and cut off when it is finished. Most of these can actually charge multiple batteries and different rates. Here's a link to an example, I think this one is out of stock but it will show you what I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-CEF21NC-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000UKXXGI

I hope I was of some assistance.
God Bless.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Regarding AA/AAA, if your question is, do they last on a single charge longer than a set of alkaline batteries, the answer is no. You'll get a few (perhaps several) hours of use, and then need to recharge. Also, the charge will dissipate in about a week even if you don't use them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That looks pretty decent. The reviews confuse me a bit. Some claim that it is a "dumb charger" but one person refutes that saying that the particular charger you linked us to, is in fact a "smart charger." I'm not sure which one to believe. This is the one I purchased yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XSA5WW/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

It has the ability to charge through your USB port and through a car (not that I would ever need such an ability.)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cjpatrick said:
That looks pretty decent. The reviews confuse me a bit. Some claim that it is a "dumb charger" but one person refutes that saying that the particular charger you linked us to, is in fact a "smart charger." I'm not sure which one to believe. This is the one I purchased yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XSA5WW/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

It has the ability to charge through your USB port and through a car (not that I would ever need such an ability.)
Thanks everyone.

I just bought this charger at Staples for appx. the same amount.
I like that each position (4 of them) has its own charge indicator.

I Also bought extra AA and AAA rechargeable batteries.
With all my remotes and now with the K2 Mighty Bright II I really burn through batteries.

I feel confident this will be a better and "greener" alternative.
If this works out I will buy a second charger and a mess more batteries.

I also use "flameless" candles and they use a lot of batteries as well.

Eric

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just FYI, there are two kinds of NiMH rechargeable batteries. The difference is that one kind is much much better at holding its charge over time, when you're not using it. This better kind is sold pre-charged, whereas the older kind of NiMH will say to charge them before their first use (because even if they precharged the older kind, they would loose their charge sitting in the store). "eneloop" is one kind that holds a charge better and comes precharged, but Duracell also sells this kind. I don't know of any technical description to tell them apart other than looking for "precharged" on them (or buy "eneloop").

·
Registered
377 Posts
vermontcathy said:
Just FYI, there are two kinds of NiMH rechargeable batteries. The difference is that one kind is much much better at holding its charge over time, when you're not using it. This better kind is sold pre-charged, whereas the older kind of NiMH will say to charge them before their first use (because even if they precharged the older kind, they would loose their charge sitting in the store). "eneloop" is one kind that holds a charge better and comes precharged, but Duracell also sells this kind. I don't know of any technical description to tell them apart other than looking for "precharged" on them (or buy "eneloop").
Thanks for this post! Helped me a lot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts