Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
so, I am an exchange student from Germany and recently I have discovered there are a lot of manga available for free in the internet (as far as I've seen all of them in .gif format, where every page is one picture). Now since I will go back to Germany soon (less than two weeks), I was wondering whether it would be a good thing to buy a Kindle, since reading a lot on a computer is simply annoying (I also read a lot of books, so I might actually buy kindlebooks as well later). I know the whispernet will not be available in Germany and I also know that buying books for the kindle is restricted to users with american credit cards.
So, basically I have a few questions:
1. How does the conversion work for .gif pictures?! I know I can kinda sort the pictures with the inoffical method by posting notes with name initials and then the categories, but will the pictures themselves look okay? Furthermore, is it easy to convert the pictures by myself using some programs or do i actually have to use amazon's conversion service for that? (If not, how much is that service?)
2. How does downloading the books without the whispernet work exactly? I expect the books are DRM-protected, so could a friend here in the US purchase books in the kindlestore and then email/send me the files so I can read them in my Kindle? I will not have an American credit card after I leave the US and I heard that that company behind amazon checks for ip-addresses and additional information anyway, so copyright problems would arise, which I hope to circumvene with friends in the US purchasing the books for me.
3. What happens if my Kindle 2 is one of those many that fades in the sunlight and I am back in Germany already? Will the customer service send the replacements only within the US or is international delivery (for replacements) available?
Hm, I guess that's it for now, thank you in advance for your (hopefully enlightening) answers.
Friendly Regards,
Harry

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I don't know about the conversion issues. There are plenty of folks with Kindles outside of the US. Downloading books through the USB port is easy enough to do.

Your first problem would be being able to buy a Kindle. You have to have a Credit Card that goes to a US address to buy the Kindle and Kindle books. I have no idea if the gift card/certificate thing works anymore. It used to be that you could buy a gift card and use that as your default without having a US card. I have heard that that no longer works.

You download books from your Kindle account. So you would need to have a shared account with a friend in the US with a US credit Card. Said friend would have to trust that you would pay him back for the books. You would have to trust said friend not to disable the account.

If you got a busted Kindle, you would have to have the replacement sent to a US address and then sent to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Without the US credit card, you can buy the K2 from ebay (Brand new) or from Amazon itself or even here on Kindle board as long you are ok with 2nd hand stuff.

Regarding downloading books, their are numerous non-amazon sites selling ebooks albeit at a higher price compared to amazon and also their are many websites giving free ebooks.

Regarding downloading newspapers, you can download them from websites such as feedbooks.com

So go ahead and buy a k2 without worrying about a US credit card or address.

Do not get into warranty issues etc as chances of breaking electronic gadget is similar to having a road accident. Just be careful, man and leave the rest to destiny.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Good thoughts Captain, but if you want to buy Amazon books, you do need a US credit card, with a US address. I went through this this past weekend with a friend who had a Mexican Credit card with a US address, and it would not download the gift card or the free books from Amazon. But as you said
there are a lot of other places with the books you might want to read, author sites, etc.

If you use your friends credit card your kindle will have to be registered to that card through Amazon and when they download the books, they have to be downloaded to your computer.

So go for it and keep in touch with us and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
Good thoughts Captain, but if you want to buy Amazon books, you do need a US credit card, with a US address. I went through this this past weekend with a friend who had a Mexican Credit card with a US address, and it would not download the gift card or the free books from Amazon. But as you said
there are a lot of other places with the books you might want to read, author sites, etc.

If you use your friends credit card your kindle will have to be registered to that card through Amazon and when they download the books, they have to be downloaded to your computer.

So go for it and keep in touch with us and let us know how it goes.
Many books available on Amazon are also available on the non Amazon paid sites which accept Non-US cards.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Harry, I get many of my books from Project Gutenburg.  They are free and you can contribute to the project if you wish.  Simply download to your computer and transfer via your USB.
I hope you can get a Kindle as I have really enjoyed mine.
Safe travels back to Germany.  Hope your time in the states was enjoyable.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I know my post sounded negative but there have been a fair number of folks who bought Kindles and did not have the right credit card and had to return the Kindle because books were too expensive. I am glad to see others have pointed out how he can buy books without an Amazon account. Hopefully he has enough info to make a decision that best suits his needs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One way to to buy books from Amazon is to have a US credit card.

When ever you visit US, walk in Chase bank or HSBc and open a account. Then get hold of a debit card ( in case you are not eligible for a credit card).

As long you have money, the debit card will work.

In case, you can NOT travel to USA, you can open a US account sitting in your home country if you have a HSBC account in your home country. In case you qualify for something called HSBC Premier in your home country, they would open a account for you in USA without having to visit USA.  ( Send me a PM in case you want more details on this).

Finally, regarding the US address, when opening the account give the address of a friend or relative living in USA. tell them to forward your bank mails to your home country. OR you can "but a US address" online for postal needs. They collect your mails for a fees and forward them to you at your home country. Ask me for details, if you like.

So all you non-US citizens , dont fret..go and enjoy Amazon Kindle.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Captain said:
One way to to buy books from Amazon is to have a US credit card.

When ever you visit US, walk in Chase bank or HSBc and open a account. Then get hold of a debit card ( in case you are not eligible for a credit card).
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can open a bank account in the US without a social security number and certain types of US identifiers (license, passport and so on).

Homeland security and all that...

L

·
Registered
23 Posts
Leslie said:
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe you can open a bank account in the US without a social security number and certain types of US identifiers (license, passport and so on).

Homeland security and all that...

L
You can open a US bank account without a SS number. Period.

Option 1 : Open a HSBC "Premier" account in your home country. Ask the HSBC to open you a HSBC account in US. they will do it for you. They will also arrange you a debit & a credit card. Its 100% legal.

Option 2 : Come to US on a valid Passport of your own country, valid US visa, valid I-94. Carry bank statements for upto 1 year from your home country ( preferably from a major international bank). Go to Chase bank. They will open a ordinary account with you. they may NOT give you a credit card though. They will give you a debit card . This is valid for purchases at amazon.

US citizens or US permanent residents or those working in US may not be aware of such solutions because obviously you have never faced a situation like this, where your credit card from your home country keeps on getting rejected from various US online stores or US paysites. This is the time/situation when one gets frustrated, when one sets out in looking for solutions on getting hold of credit /debit cards from US or opening a US account.

What does Homeland security has to do with opening a legal bank account with your legally earned money, when you are legally inside the US albeit on tourism.

By the way, my maid is a illegal immigrant in the US for 15 years and has absolutely no papers, also has a US credit card!! So no big deal really!

I forgot to add, though out of context, having a "US credit/debit card" is very useful also in accessing" itunes- USA edition "for renting/buying movies/latest TV serials.

If anyone has specific questions, PM me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts