Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, from my amazon prime no rush delivery purchases I've made lately, I've found myself with lots of £1 credits for e-books.

I love paranormal fiction (usually young adult).

Anyone got any recommendations (looking for 0.99 books preferably to redeem my credits!)

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
A reminder to author members that promotion is not allowed in this thread and all other threads in the Book Corner. You may only promote books in the Book Bazaar. Promotional threads here will be removed, sorry.

Betsy
KB Moderator

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Not really young adult characters, but very fun paranormals:  Frank Tuttle's Markhat series.  Dead Man's Rain, Cadaver Client and one other can be read in any order.  I don't know the current pricing, but his books are all under 5. 

Ilona Andrews Clean Sweep (first in the series) is probably 4.99, but it's a good paranormal series (not really young adult. I can't remember the age of the protag.)  Fun and zany series.  It's one she did via a small publisher rather than her Kate Daniels series, which is with a major publisher and more expensive.

I shall ponder more.  I can think of two YA books that are wonderful, but not paranormal.  I can think of lots of paranormal books, but none that are 99 cents right at this moment. 

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I went through some of the lists on my blog and there are many books I reviewed under 5 (none are 99 cents right at the moment) One called Graveyard Shift is free right now (recommended--less urban fantasy and more fantasy) From the blog, here is my short version review:

Graveyard Shift - Angela Roquet - Worth the read. Stronger first half than last. Some unique concepts, some good humor. Strong characterization, although I did feel that there were some personality changes that were rather jarring. The main character makes the book and the secondary characters are generally well-done, but fell short near the end. The plot was well-done, with a nice reveal in the who-dunit. One of the important battles could have been smoothed out-the placement of a couple of the characters was confusing. I read that scene twice and couldn't sort it.

Nevertheless, considering the price and the enjoyment value, worth reading. Recommended for UF readers.

THere's also this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Shadowmagic-ebook/dp/B002RI9EY6/ref=sr_1_2?

Shadow Magic that is young adult. (John Lenahan) I enjoyed it a lot.
HOllowland by Amanda Hocking is 2.99. It's Young adult and a fun read.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I read this a few months ago and recommend it as a novella:

You might view this as horror rather than paranormal, I'm fuzzy on the distinction.

I wrote the following review of the book when I read it a couple of years ago.

Call of the Jersey Devil, by Aurelio Voltaire

I commend the following to your attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgvLiNYCcA

This is a song by Voltaire, who now styles himself Aurelio Voltaire (thank goodness he's not "The Artist Formerly Known as Voltaire.") I have no business liking his music, but I do! He is a Goth, which is a completely alien way of being to me, but doesn't stop my enjoyment. He puts all of his music on Youtube at his official Youtube Channel, and I'd further recommend you look up "When You're Evil" and "Death, Death, (Devil, Devil, Evil, Evil Song)." If you are a Trekkie, look up "The USS Make Sh*t UP", the version on the album "Bitrektual," not the earlier version. A lot of his music is available in Amazon Prime Music if you have that (though not the Trekkie songs). And I liked him before I knew of the Star Trek/Star Wars/Doctor Who songs, so that wasn't what made me a fan. You may not have known of Voltaire, but if you are old enough, you have seen his work. He did most of the stop-motion animation bumpers they showed between commercials on MTV in the early '80s. Clearly, he is multi-talented, and this book is his first major literary production. It's a novel about a washed-up Goth Rocker and five young Goth mall rats who accidentally meet up trying to reach a rock festival out in the New Jersey barrens. They never make it to the festival, but they do end up involuntarily being involved when one of the gates to Hell opens up near where they are stranded. Fortunately, they have help from a "good witch" who has spent her life plugging up the gate when it periodically opens, but she is old and losing her mojo.

Voltaire intends the book to be both scarey and hilarious, and many of the reviews on Amazon refer to it as side splitting. I agree that it did have its moments of humor, but it was mostly a dark horror book. There are a lot of ugly things in it, and the fate of one character in particular was absolutely vile. Not only do ghouls and demons and monsters emerge from Hell with hostile intent, you see, but many of them aren't satisfied to merely slaughter innocents when they come into the human world, they want to use trickery to try to lure more sufferers into Hell. Misery loves company. I liked the book, but be warned there is some ugly stuff in here.

Most of the protagonists are seriously damaged people, but we gain some insight into their minds and the background that caused them to be damaged, and they are a sympathetic bunch, with the exception of Aleister. I like it when bad things happen to Aleister. And they do. A lot. One scene in particular is probably the only moment in the book where I did laugh out loud.

Voltaire appears to have a coauthor who I assume did most of the drudge work of whipping the story into presentable shape, but there are some editing problems. Many sentences are over-written, and in some cases Voltaire used deliberately obscure words for no special reason. On the other hand, a few of the nearly-overwritten sentences are kind of pleasing.

The book is recommended to those who find the idea of five Goths (four teenagers and one overaged musician) battling the legions of Hell appealing. Four stars from me. And Voltaire's music is worth a listen. Check out Prime Music if you have it, or the Voltaire Channel on Youtube. I especially recommend the albums "To The Bottom of The Sea" and "The Devil's Bris." "Bitrektual" if you are into pop science fiction such as Star Trek or Doctor Who.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts