Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
???
Does anyone know of a good place to look for well-formatted poetry anthologies - in particular, the older, more traditional stuff? Most of what I have found is in .pdf and it doesn't fare too well in either the Mobipocket Creator or Amazon conversion processes.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Golden Dog Mom,

I split this out from the Book Recommendation thread as I think you'll have a better chance of getting a response!  Anyone have any recs?

Betsy

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I wish I could claim familiarity with Kindlized poetry anthologies, but I can't. I taught college English for 30 years, however, and I can tell you that any anthologies edited by X. J. Kennedy and/or Dana Gioia are probably excellent. If you search for such at Amazon and find only DTBs, why not suggest that they be Kindlized?

Best I can do.
/////Al

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
There are several poetry anthologies in the Kindle store, you might try a sample of the ones that appeal to you.  If you can't find out enough from the sample, you can buy it--remember you have seven days to return the book.  If it's not well formatted, that seems to me to be a reason to return it.

Betsy

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure if you only want anthologies of multiple poets or those of single poets as well, but I happen to know this edition of The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson

is excellent. I bought it myself (to match the DTB I had.)

There does seem to be a lack of poetry in general and especially volumes with proper formatting. Hopefully that will change in the future.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
On a possibly related note, I had an experience with Random House that taught me a little about poetry and publishing. I wanted to use a poem by Diane Ackerman at the beginning of Distant Cousin: Reincarnation. I thought it set off the story perfectly. Dr. Ackerman graciously allowed it, but told me I'd have to negotiate the matter with Random House, which owned the rights. Her own poem, and she didn't own it! Random House wanted $10 per line to use it, and I paid it though it nearly killed me, because I liked the poem...BUT: part of the agreement I had to sign specified that if the book were ever reprinted or printed in any other form, I had to renegotiate the fee. Well, phooey! That's why I left the poem out of the Kindle version. I still feel bad about that. If anyone wants the poem, just ask or pm me and I'll see you get it. Random House did allow it to be used in an online poetry magazine.

I really do think publishers are slow to wake up to matters electronic: websites, blogs, ebooks, and the like. Newspapers are trying hard to come to grips with it. Book publishers mostly don't have a clue yet. (Look at that biography of the conductor Bruno Walter, by Rebecca Pechefsky and Erik Ryding that I posted a while ago--it's something like $22. Yale University Press--hellooooo!) Poetry publishing has to be a splinter off the tree of mainstream publishing. If readers want poetry on Kindle, they need to make that fact known. The KindleBoards is an excellent group to start leaning on the doorbell.

Let 'em know!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Great point, Al!

One way to do this, is if someone finds a poetry anthology that they like that's not on Kindle, be sure to post it in the "I Want This Book on Kindle" thread so that we can all click on it!

Betsy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts