Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Your husband doesn't know?

My wife hides out upstairs with Netflix every time this 3-book renewal comes up (it did today) and all I can talk about is stay v. go. Good grief. So I decided to stay. I'm just too busy and happy just writing and playing my guitars to keep worrying about a whole new drama on some other platform. Some day some smart person will set up a book management service for indies and gives us an alternative to driving ourselves nuts every ninety.

Good luck.

There are no wrong decisions.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Sadly, you'll only know if you try, and if you do try, it could take a while so you may need to be brave and ride out a few rough months. If you can get a bookbub, that is what helped my sales at the other platforms get to the point I can live off them if something apocalyptic happened over at Amazon. And while all of them combined still aren't as good as zon, they're pretty consistent, which is comforting.

And it seriously isn't any drama. I've been irritated at all of them for one thing or another, but never to the point where I'd give up. You can always go draft2digital if you want super easy peasy. I use them for iTunes and my permafree at B&N, but everyone else is direct. I've never actually timed how long it takes to upload to everyone on publishing day, but maybe a half hour?

I hope you have good luck whatever you decide.  :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would go wide and use D2D to publish at the other sites. It is super easy to use and quick and less of a headache then going direct in my humble opinion. I think you'll reach a wider readership, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I usually advise going wide, but it's not a magic bullet. I've done extremely well on Apple, but I've gotten lucky, because they've promoted me. If they didn't, I wouldn't make that much money there. Nook has been pretty steady. Google takes awhile to get traction, but it's nice when you do. Kobo tends to be meh. Scribd, surprisingly enough, has been a good source of income these past few months for me.

That said, I've pulled my under-performing series off of the other vendors and put it in KU to try to breathe some life into it.  So I think that going wide doesn't always work. The only good thing is that you have a long series, so you can have a permafree, which, for me, is a very good thing. 

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sherry_Soule said:
I would go wide and use D2D to publish at the other sites. It is super easy to use and quick and less of a headache then going direct in my humble opinion. I think you'll reach a wider readership, too.

Good luck!
The downside of not going direct in the first place is if you end up wanting to go direct (and getting the difference in royalties - you pay 10% to an aggregator), you lose all of the reviews when you upload your books directly.

I'm planning to start 'wide' because as a person I don't like the idea of having all of my eggs in one basket. So. Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
anniejocoby said:
I usually advise going wide, but it's not a magic bullet. I've done extremely well on Apple, but I've gotten lucky, because they've promoted me. If they didn't, I wouldn't make that much money there. Nook has been pretty steady. Google takes awhile to get traction, but it's nice when you do. Kobo tends to be meh. Scribd, surprisingly enough, has been a good source of income these past few months for me.

That said, I've pulled my under-performing series off of the other vendors and put it in KU to try to breathe some life into it. So I think that going wide doesn't always work. The only good thing is that you have a long series, so you can have a permafree, which, for me, is a very good thing.
How did they start promoting your titles? I hear a lot about Apple and Kobo merchandising but how it works?
Also: doesone need to have a Mac or iPhone to upload to Apple iBooks store?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I went wide. Lost $15k per month in revenue. That's a 50% drop. I was only up at Google and Apple for three months, and I did nothing to market. (Other than putting the omnibus of the first three perma-free.) I chose not to market because I've never done any marketing on Amazon. (I wanted to compare apples to apples, so to speak.) I got sales on Apple and Google, but the sales only equaled 10% of what I was losing each month, and the growth rate is slow. Also, I hate how difficult it is to dig deeper down in the stores on Google and Apple. (Or should I say, damned near impossible!) Unless you have something selling well enough to be on their first page, you aren't going to get anywhere. They basically push what sells. At least Amazon allows the reader to keep hitting next to dig deeper into there store until you find something you want, instead of forcing you to choose from a small selection they deem worthy of your attention.

Even worse, I saw a 50% drop in my mailing list signup rates, which I attribute to not being in KU.

So, in April, when I release book 13 in my series, I will be putting all books back into Select and KU.

Hey, at least I got all the titles lined up with the same expiration date, and it only cost me $30k!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Simone, you already know my stance but I'll repeat it here for others. I'm going to try wide, but only because Apple has agreed to promote my work. I have no idea what that will translate into, but Annie's post gives me hope that I'll get enough sales to offset lost borrows.

I'm prepared for it to take time to gain traction on iTunes, but Apple does a great job of hyping up all the things they're prepared to do. Let's hope they're as good as their word. I'd like to try Kobo, B&N and DriveThru Fiction as well.

I will say that if the bulk of my income didn't already come from audio I'd be a lot more hesitant. If Amazon sales tank I'll still be all right, so the risk is a little easier to take. I have no idea if the same is true for you, and like you I'm agonizing over the decision. It's hard to know what the right route is.

In the end I think Nick Stephenson is right. Putting all your eggs in one basket is dangerous, and Amazon can change everything with no notice. Whichever route you choose good luck =)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Chris Fox said:
Putting all your eggs in one basket is dangerous, and Amazon can change everything with no notice. Whichever route you choose good luck =)
Very true but the 90 day agreement helps in this respect. Three books in my first series are up for renewal on the 1st of April. I'm going to roll them one more time in Select, because during that time I'll be bringing out the first in a new series. I plan to put that one in Scout and see if AMZ will pick it up. If not, I'll publish it and put it in Select with links to the other series in the back matter and pull the 1st series out and go wide with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would say go wide if you're going to do permafree. This month I've made double at Apple than what I did on Amazon and Barnes and noble is really kicking it up with my sales there.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I would go wide, but that's easy for me to say when my borrows were always in single digits a month. Apple hasn't picked me for its super duper promos, hence sales there are the bottom of the heap. Kobo is picking WAY UP since promos there kicked in. Google is a steady upward climb. I use D2D for scribd, Page Foundry, Tolino, and Nook. Nook Press is a PITA. I would use D2D for them if I were you, and never change. Direct to Kobo, Apple, KDP, Google.

Thing is. If you don't have series, first book free, and a willingness to wait and promo your book 1s, then you had better stay in Select. The other channels DO seem to grow, but the growth is slow and steady on the graphs, not Amazon's saw tooth wild ups and downs. Nothing happens outside Kdp without a permafree and some promo lovin to kick things off I have found.

My sales are  55% kdp, 35% Audible, Nook is third, and all the rest come in last. So all external channels make up only 10% of my sales, but in dollar terms all are slowly increasing while kdp slowly falls. Overall, I'm not seeing a pay rise, just a reshuffling. This happened when KU hit. I'm happy with 55% at Amazon. God forbid something bad happened at KDP, but if it did, I could survive okay with the rest, and as soon as I release a new book, I "should" see that pay rise I lost when KU came to my town. :)

G

·
1) You should check how books in your genre are doing in the other stores. What are the sales ranks of the bestselling YA books in your store. What about your specific genre.

2) Apple should have a considerable YA audience because of the popularity of iPhone and iPad with kids and teenagers. Are they buying books? From Apple? From Kindle App?

3) There are enough authors nowadays who're making more money from other stores that you should at least test a few tiles by going wide.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Everything other than Amazon has been considerably less than what I make on the big A, but at the same time, I do like having the book available in other stores. YA is big in Canada, and Kobo is big in Canada, so I knew I wanted to be there with that. (Although, to be fair, my sales there are pretty low...although I've gotten some nice Canadian reviews, so...?) BN is about 25% of my Amazon sales. It's enough for me to stay there--and my print sales (through IngramSpark) aren't that bad on BN, so there's that, too...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am struggling with the same question -- although for me, I have one book, one novella, and see about 5 sales on amazon a month and none on any of the other platforms. This is an easy one for me -- I have a little tidying I want to do to both, once it's done, I'll try KDP and see what happens. It can't be worse than what I've got now. If you've got something to lose because you're doing well either wide or with KDP -- I'd go batty, trying to decide to switch, too!

Wish I had more to offer!

·
Registered
355 Posts
ireaderreview said:
1) You should check how books in your genre are doing in the other stores. What are the sales ranks of the bestselling YA books in your store. What about your specific genre.
I think this is the right answer to the OP's question. It's no point asking a question like this to someone who writes in a different genre for a different audience.

It's really helpful that the authors on here share their experience and give others advice but writers, especially new writers have to take in all the advice and weigh it up. This is all about experimenting and seeing what works for you and your books.

If you are already making money from borrows in kdp then make a decision if you want to remain there or go wide, I cannot risk losing money for even 2 or 3 months, my writing pays my bills. 90 days is not a great deal of time but if you relying on this writing money to pay your bills, 3 months is a long time. Then you have to build your visibility on the other platforms.

i am only willing to take risks on a new series. I am going to put my new shorter series in KDP. I've looked at similar series and they are doing extremely well in KDP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts