Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who've purchased a refurb and also happen to have or seen a brand new one, are there any significant differences?  I know the warranty is the same and they are pretty much same as new.  However, are there minor differences such as packaging?  Do refurbs come in the same box, same materials included, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
when I got mine the only thing that was different was that it had a pink and a green sticker dot on the outside of the kindle.  My kindle was shrink wrapped and looked as it was new, take those stickers off and no one would probably notice the difference.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really shouldn't be answering this, because I've never seen a "new" Kindle, but I got my refurb on Sat. and the box was perfect, all sealed, everything just as I would expect a new to be packaged.  It did have a pink (I think) round sticker on the outside, but other than that I wouldn't think there would be any difference.  My Kindle was fine.  I was a little concerned about the darker-than-I-expected gray screen, but I'm used to it now and everything is fine, fine.  The only thing I haven't checked out yet is hooking it up to my mac, but I'll check that out and then cancel my previously placed order and make someone very happy to be bumped up into my spot!

I'm super picky, and I can find nothing wrong with my refurb!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have received new Kindles and one refurb and as others have said, the only difference I could see was the pink and green sticker on the box. In every other respect it looked and acted completely new.

L

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a refurbished K and had no stickers on the box. The only issue I encountered was the unit being registered somewhere else, which customer service quickly resolved at 7PM on New Years Eve no less!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.  I've been watching refurbs pop up and they are starting to become available, but only 1 at a time.  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
floridonet said:
Thanks all. I've been watching refurbs pop up and they are starting to become available, but only 1 at a time. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.
Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

L

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a new Kindle and I bought my mother a refurb. Hers was packaged the same as mine- did have a pink sticker on the shrinkwrap. The USB cable, power cord and cover looked new.I tlooked like it had never been out of the box. It was not registered to my account so I did have to go and do that.

Lynn L.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Refurb (haven't seen a new Kindle) had the pink sticker on the outer wrap.  All else appeared as new, wrappings, etc.  The unit works flawlessly and I've had no indication anything was or needed to be refurbished.

I'm very pleased with Thing (as in, "hey, what's that Thing?)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Kelly G said:
I'm very pleased with Thing (as in, "hey, what's that Thing?)
Cute name, I can see where you got it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wasn't as lucky with my first refurb.  The scroll bar didn't work and the cover that came with is was noticibly dirty.  I called customer service and a new one was sent right away. 

·
Registered
108 Posts
floridonet said:
For those who've purchased a refurb and also happen to have or seen a brand new one, are there any significant differences? I know the warranty is the same and they are pretty much same as new. However, are there minor differences such as packaging? Do refurbs come in the same box, same materials included, etc.
I had a new kindle that after about a month had a frozen screen. I got a replacement from Amazon, never asked if it was refurbished or not, but now that I see this thread, it did have the pink/red and green stickers on the plastic outside. I see NO difference, in fact, the first one had a few quirks with it. I used to have to hit alt - aa a few times to wake it up or put it to sleep. This replacement, does it on the first try every time..
I wouldn't hesitate to order a refurbished one at all after this experience!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Some refurbs came available on Amazon yesterday - for the first time since Dec 24. Our Refurb Alert detected it, and it looks like at least one of our members got a refurb as a result.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wrote a little script that logs available refurbs.  There were more available just moments ago, but they seem to sell out in a matter of a few minutes.

Times are PST.

01/06/2009 07:16AM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 07:18AM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 07:20AM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 09:02AM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 04:02PM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 04:18PM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 05:10PM 1 to 1 of 1
01/06/2009 05:18PM 1 to 1 of 1
01/07/2009 05:08AM 1 to 1 of 1
01/07/2009 03:58PM 1 to 1 of 1
01/07/2009 03:59PM 1 to 1 of 1