Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I don't mean to upset anyone, so I hope I don't.

On this forum (to a small degree) and on the Amazon one, I have seen many people upset that Amazon did a "bait and switch."  Supposedly, it was wrong of Amazon to keep taking orders for the Kindle knowing that the Kindle 2 was coming out. 

While I understand to a degree (I got my refurbished one in December), I am not so sure there would have been a good solution for Amazon.

Think about it.  If Amazon stopped taking orders, they would have had some amount of chaos on their hands.  People would have known (more than speculation) that the next version was coming out, and those within the return period would have sent back the old ones in large amounts. 

Not to mention, what everyone is kind of asking is basically, "Why didn't Amazon announce the Kindle 2 before they announced the Kindle 2?"  They had an announcement date, and even that leaked. 

In addition, no matter when they announced it, people would have been upset.  There is always going to be someone who just ordered or just received theirs.  So, there really is no good time to upgrade if that is the case. 

Again, I'm not trying to upset anyone.  So please, don't take me wrong.  I wish they would offer a trade-up program for those of us who just got our refurbished ones, but that is not the case. 

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I for one am perfectly happy waiting for a Kindle 2 (already on the list) and I don't feel deceived. I would have liked an SD card slot, but other than that...I don't think Amazon could have stopped taking orders either.  :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ok, here's my opinion.   When I ordered my kindle in the end of October, I didn't know there was even a rumor about the possiblity of a K2.   I have had my K1 for 3 months, I just hate feeling that we should have been told that there was a new version coming out.  
I like the K1 and will not be trading for the K2. I CAN'T AFFORD TO.  I love the look and the size of the K2, but I've bought an Oberon cover and an m-edge for the K1, I just can't justify it.  I agree that maybe an incentive, like a  voucher for anyone who bought a K1 in the last 6 months can get a discount, even then.... It seems a little sneaky, like I say my K1 isn't even 4 months old.....
Cheeki

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree with you somewhat. All technology manufactures do this. Apple did it with the iPhone, dropping the price drastically much to the chagrin of early adopters.

It might not be nice to those of us who got our Kindles just before they stopped sending them out (I bought mine at the end of October 2008) but when it comes to technology, you kind of have to expect that a new version will come out at some point in time, and you will get no compensation for buying the old on.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wonder if there wasn't an issue with getting a coponent for the original kindle (like the battery), so they ramped up the realease of version 2 and decided to just ship them.

And can you imagine the complaints if people had to wait 3 months for the orginal, and then only a few weeks after they got it, a new version came out? people are even u[set that have had their Kindle for a few months about a new one being release, so i think Amazon was in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situtation"

I think Amazon was trying to do it's best to make people happy...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheeki said:
Ok, here's my opinion. When I ordered my kindle in the end of October, I didn't know there was even a rumor about the possiblity of a K2. I have had my K1 for 3 months, I just hate feeling that we should have been told that there was a new version coming out.
I like the K1 and will not be trading for the K2. I CAN'T AFFORD TO. I love the look and the size of the K2, but I've bought an Oberon cover and an m-edge for the K1, I just can't justify it. I agree that maybe an incentive, like a voucher for anyone who bought a K1 in the last 6 months can get a discount, even then.... It seems a little sneaky, like I say my K1 isn't even 4 months old.....
Cheeki
Keep in mind, mine is a month-and-a-half old. LOL I know how you feel.

I agree that it would be great if there were some kind of voucher or trade-up plan for a fee less than the cost of a new one. As a matter of fact, I sent Customer Service an e-mail asking about it. Right now, they have said no, that the only deal is the ability to order one by midnight tonight and to be some of the first (after those on hold) to get it, but I, like you, cannot afford that.

Perhaps if enough Kindle owners e-mail or call with that request (nicely, LOL) then maybe Amazon will consider it. Other retailers have done it before.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikuto said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you somewhat. All technology manufactures do this. Apple did it with the iPhone, dropping the price drastically much to the chagrin of early adopters.

It might not be nice to those of us who got our Kindles just before they stopped sending them out (I bought mine at the end of October 2008) but when it comes to technology, you kind of have to expect that a new version will come out at some point in time, and you will get no compensation for buying the old on.
I think you misunderstood. I'm agreeing with you. Yes, I wish they would offer a trade-up program for those who own the first, but I realize they are under no obligation to do so, and I'm not upset that they aren't (though other companies have, so it isn't unheard of).

What I was saying was that I don't find Amazon deceitful or in the wrong at all. It is business, and it is technology. That's what happens.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TM said:
I wonder if there wasn't an issue with getting a coponent for the original kindle (like the battery), so they ramped up the realease of version 2 and decided to just ship them.

And can you imagine the complaints if people had to wait 3 months for the orginal, and then only a few weeks after they got it, a new version came out? people are even u[set that have had their Kindle for a few months about a new one being release, so i think Amazon was in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situtation"

I think Amazon was trying to do it's best to make people happy...
I agree wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
788 Posts
mwvickers said:
I think you misunderstood. I'm agreeing with you. Yes, I wish they would offer a trade-up program for those who own the first, but I realize they are under no obligation to do so, and I'm not upset that they aren't (though other companies have, so it isn't unheard of).

What I was saying was that I don't find Amazon deceitful or in the wrong at all. It is business, and it is technology. That's what happens.
Apparently I lost about 10 points in reading comprehension. Sorry!

·
Registered
788 Posts
marianner said:
I don't have a particularly strong opinion about it, but I do think it's a little disingenuous to take orders that you have no intention of fulfilling.
They are fulfilling the orders though, just with a new generation of the product. Which is, in my opinion, a bonus. Most people who order a first generation product do not expect to get a second generation for no extra cost.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mikuto said:
They are fulfilling the orders though, just with a new generation of the product. Which is, in my opinion, a bonus. Most people who order a first generation product do not expect to get a second generation for no extra cost.
My eldest twin boy was surprised that the upgrade was at zero cost when I told. He'll be nine next month. So there you have it - a nine-year old sees a lot of value to this.

Add on that M-Edge is exchanging my cover and I'm really happy now. As soon as DecalGirl shows skins I'll be contacting them about an exchange.

·
Registered
679 Posts
jmeaders said:
My eldest twin boy was surprised that the upgrade was at zero cost when I told. He'll be nine next month. So there you have it - a nine-year old sees a lot of value to this.

Add on that M-Edge is exchanging my cover and I'm really happy now. As soon as DecalGirl shows skins I'll be contacting them about an exchange.
I think it is a pretty good deal too (and I am glad M-Edge is doing an exchange for people).

Mikuto said:
I agree... and there is also the fact that no one was even charged for the Kindle when ordered. They will only be charged when it is shipped.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think that Amazon thought it had enough K1s to see it through the holidays and up until the K2 debut. But, I think the Oprah show created more demand than Kindles, and Amazon just didn't have enough. Obviously, no retailer wants a shortage during the holidays. I'm sure they lost a lot of sales because of the lack of supply. It could also be that Amazon had hoped to launch the K2 in November, but that it just wasn't ready.

I think if I'd been waiting for a K1, I'd be sort of annoyed. Amazon isn't sending what people ordered. Sure it's the New and Improved one, but it may not be what everyone wanted.

I'm fine with my K1. I'll use it until it dies or until I have more money than sense.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
When I ordered my Kindle 1 in early November, I knew Kindle 2 was right around the corner. The BoyGenius pics were out by then, but even if they hadn't been, common sense would have told me that a newer version was on the horizon. Guess what: I opted for the K1 anyway, and I couldn't be happier.

I have no earthly idea why anyone is complaining about this.

Yes, I understand some people ordered cases and accessories for the K1 expecting to get that model. That's a pain in the ass, no doubt, but Amazon did not force you to order accessories for a product you didn't have in your hand.

I know others are upset about the lack of an SD slot in the K2. No arguments from me there. That is a downgrade IMO. Still, the K2 does other things K1 can't do, and it's still the awesome Kindle we all know and love.

To me, both models have their strengths and weakness. One isn't "worse" than the other IMO. Whichever one you have or get, ENJOY IT because the Kindle is a game-changing device whether it has a 1 or 2 attached to its name.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Who's upset?  :)  Oh, that was this morning.  Then it dawned on me how cool K2 is and M-Edge agreed to exchange my cover.  So... I'm cool.  ;D

Oh... I forgot... when is my K2 going to get here!?!  I'm tired of waiting.  Arggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ahhh... now I feel better.

·
Registered
599 Posts
CS said:
Yes, I understand some people ordered cases and accessories for the K1 expecting to get that model. That's a pain in the ass, no doubt, but Amazon did not force you to order accessories for a product you didn't have in your hand.
True, but many people called Amazon and were assured by customer service that if they ordered a Kindle 1, that's what they would get.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i got my k1 in November 08. i got two skins an 2 nice covers Oberon an medge. but the way i see it is, my k1 will be the way i share my books with my family my library free of charge without interupting my reading on my k2 :) i see it as a investment.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I think this thread needs a "reprint" of my earlier post PRE-press conference:

If I may; I'd like to mediate based on a few facts.

Amazon is known for great customer service.

Fact: I am on my third Kindle; each has been returned and replaced...No questions asked. I have also exchanged and or returned other non-K Amazon items no questions asked. To me...that is great customer service.

Fact: On this site and on the Discussions forum; I have witnessed many "I wish K.2 had this that...etc." Many many complaints about button placement, size...thickness...etc. It looks to me that Amazon is bending over backwards trying to please everyone...even offering an option to choose between K1 and K2. I believe that is very generous. I just bought a new laptop 2 mos ago and the model is already being replaced by another version...Nobody is offering me a choice there. Also, Amazon was replacing broken Kindles due to user negligence at half price...hello? I know that if I drop my laptop there will be no such offer!!

Amazon:
It looks a bit to me, that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If we, in general, don't cut this out...Amazon could very well say you know what: 30 day guarantee and that's it period. K1, K2 tough. No replacements no options no anything. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. We need to look at the manner in which OTHER companies handle such matters; we wouldn't be so quick to criticize Amazon. Microsoft wouldn't help me with a Microsoft question unless I forked up 32 dollars. I told them to keep it; I'd find the answer elsewhere...and it was their product still under warranty.

Also, DO NOT underestimate the power of Oprah or TV in general. Remember back in the day when she went down to a size 8 and people en mass follwed her diet plan; not to mention the Susan Powter 15 minutes and Millions fame...or the Suzanne Somers merchandise.

I do strongly believe that Amazon had no clue the repercussions that Oprah's K1 show was going to create. It probably did tenfold + than anticipated and it couldn't have been easy for them in any way. It can't be easy trying to keep K.1 users happy while trying to keep up with technology and to make good on requested improvements to K.2. all while offering a choice and meeting demands. (I can't help but thinking of the Lucy episode with the chocolate candy on the conveyer belt...that is probably what they are up against.) I think this current situation was coincidental poor timing and a case being overwhelmed. I don't think Amazon out to dupe anyone.
I'm certain anyone who comes up with a product wishes it could do so well; but there is no way of knowing what the outcome will be; if that were the case we would all be entrepreneurs and wealthy. Look at the "mood ring" craze the creator probably thought he or she would be lucky to sell 50 let alone millions. (OK..I'm dating myself; but you get my point, I'm sure.)

This is just my opinion; and I'm sure Amazon is making money hand over fist...but I do think that they have been fair (to their ability) and generous with their policy. I know when I first got my K...I called them several times with questions and they answered them fully without expecting me to fork over $$ to answer a simple question or ten...lol. Let's not get greedy and cut our noses to spite our faces...Amazon could be far worse.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts