Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Years ago, I worked for a huge company that had an "Ideas in Action" program. Employees submitted ideas to save the company money, and if their idea was picked they won cash and prizes.

Thing is, that department had a bunch of minimum wagers with high turnover and low experience judging the submissions. Their typical reason for rejecting our ideas had more to do with their lack of understanding of the company and the industry, or just an inability to grasp a concept. It got to be really irritating to receive rejections for reasons that clearly indicated they didn't get the idea, and that it went right over their heads. It made us angry to read their superior and condescending tone in their rejection e-mails.

People stopped sending them their ideas.

One day, they realized they weren't getting any ideas and the department was in a shaky position. They had a quick turnover in management, and replaced the minimum wage earners with some experienced people. They took their "tone" down a notch. They set up tables in the lobby, and began assaulting us with perky literature and questionnaires and assurances that it would all be different from now on. Please send us your ideas! They pleaded.

"No," I recall saying to one of the perky women. "But it's all different now!" she cried. "Sorry," I said. "I'm done." You can't have my ideas. You don't deserve them, I thought.

Let that be a lesson to anyone who rejects intellectual property. You'd better have a good reason and do it nicely. Especially when people don't really need you anymore, as is the case with the publishing industry.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hi Ruth, great post.

BTW, Vestal Virgin was submitted to Kensington a while back. Got rejected.

I pitched it to a number of editors at the Maui writers conference--the year before I'd pitched a story set in Egypt, and a lot of people told me that stories set in Egypt were out. So, I figured I'll be better off this year, with a story set in Rome! (HBO was doing their Rome series). Turned out a lot of the people I spoke to remembered the Egypt story from the year before, and that's what they wanted to talk about...of course I'd gone a different direction with my writing. Go figure.

Just bought your book, Husbands and Lovers, and I look forward to reading it!

Suzanne

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Oh how true! Great article. Means I can be thankful for all my rejections, can't I? Really, seriously, I'm so much better off going indie...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all, for the kind words. As it stands right now with the advent of cyber self-pubbing, a rejection can actually be a good career move.

Suzanne, sorry Ken turned you down but, as you say, go figure. I sure can't. Thanks for the H&L purchase. Hope you like it. Of course I do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.