Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just recently published my first kindle book. Unfortunately I don't really know how to market it or drum up interest so I thought I would post about it in a kindle forum. If this isn't appropriate let me know and I can take this down or whatever.

It's cheap ($4 right now) and a full-length book. It is called "The Hunter" and the synopsis is:

John Hunter, a young man with no apparent marketable skills, decides to try his hand at being a faceless vigilante. When he finds that wearing a mask and trying to fight crime is a lot more difficult than it looks, John tries another route and hires a publicist. Together with his publicist, John creates a powerful public persona for himself, and becomes rich and famous. Eventually, his popularity begins to wane, and John will do anything to keep his public image, even if it means becoming his own villain.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J6OUQO

it can be found at the above link, I am interested in feedback as well, so don't be shy, either here or on the product discussion board.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FAQ Person said:
Thanks for sharing, Waged, and welcome to the forum!

L
Thanks! Good to see some positive discussion of the Kindle finally - too many places I've been spread false rumors (my favorite being the Kindle can only read stuff from the kindle store).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the interest! Let me know what you think of even just the sample (Amazon controls the sample so I'm not even 100% sure what's included in it).

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
You should order a sample and see what's in it.  I recall a discussion from another board from the fellow who wrote 'Decoding the Kindle'.  He found that the 'sample' wasn't anything more than the table of contents.  He got on to Amazon and got them to change it.

I got a sample, too, but haven't checked it out yet. . . been hangin' out here since I got back from the grocery store.

Ann

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put it on my universal wish list (if I did that right!!) Can't actually get a sample until I get my Kindle!!! Supposed to be for Christmas, but I hope hubby takes advantage of the $50 off that is good this week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff said:
Hey Wagedomain,

I'm in the same boat trying to find ways to get people to read my books. My day job is software development so if you'd like me to list your book on my web site with my books, just send me the art and copy. No charge of course.

Jeff
Wow, that's nice of you! Wish I had the money to get some art associated with it :( No cover right now, pretty barebones book (the story is good though I swear!)

If you can go without any art, the first post in this thread's description is pretty good to use as a description, I think. Conveys enough of the premise without giving away the plot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff said:
You now have the third book on the front page. We need one more to make it look even.

If you come up with a better cover than I made, send it to me by email. Otherwise I'll try to improve it after I get some fires put out.

http://www.eliscopublishing.com/default.asp

Hope you sell a million...

Jeff
Nice! Thanks for the webspace, really decent of you :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeff said:
I had selfish reasons. I wanted the site to look like it was more than just some guy trying to sell his own books.
:)
Haha but it's still a site selling books. Nothing selfish about that!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
James,

Now it's a site selling three books and I'm happy to have you with me. If any other new authors need a site I can take a few more without making the site look too cluttered. I really like the idea of self-publishing. In my humble opinion, the traditional publishing houses have overlooked good new authors for too long. The Kindle and Amazon’s POD service let’s the readers decide which books are good or bad and that's exactly as it should be.

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeff said:
James,

Now it's a site selling three books and I'm happy to have you with me. If any other new authors need a site I can take a few more without making the site look too cluttered. I really like the idea of self-publishing. In my humble opinion, the traditional publishing houses have overlooked good new authors for too long. The Kindle and Amazon's POD service let's the readers decide which books are good or bad and that's exactly as it should be.

Jeff
I totally agree.

The frustrating thing I am running into is getting any sort of acknowledgment from Amazon. They have a new release section, but if you look at the real name, it's "New and noteworthy" or something to that effect. Since I am not noteworthy, my book is buried into the depths. There's almost no way for anyone to get there without a direct link.

I even emailed Amazon asking if there was some sort of "new writer" section and got the response that they were forwarding my email to the kindle-idea email address. :-\

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts