Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon Book Rankings 2.0 Released!
The post containing the release info is HERE

And an update to v2.0.2 - Found after the above post.

An update to v2.1 has been released with adding features - Post Found HERE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long time no talk Writers, pretty much been hiding away in my little cave working on a feature product that went over pretty well last time. If any of you purchased or saw the forum post about my Amazon Book Rankings program, you will be happy to know that I have recoded and redesigned the software.

With that little rant done, I would like to introduce you to Amazon Book Rankings v2.0!

As you can see from the image above, I have now included tracking of both E-Books and Paperbacks.
Also, If you look the main window you will see that the Program organizes it for you, by putting (Paperback), (E-Book), and for the E-Books it will actually put (Paid) or (Free) next to the rank, seeing how this whole "Free E-Book" thing seems to be widely used by Amazon as of late.
Just a few notes, if you want to go directly to the reviews of a book, simply double click in the reviews cell and it will load your default browser and go directly to the product reviews page. This also stands true for the Title cell if you wish to view your books homepage on Amazon.

------------------------------------
I consider you are all a bright bunch, so I'm sure you have noticed the "My Reports" button, this is probably one of my favorite features, although it isn't anything NEW it certainly does cut a writers time down. Thanks to my brother I was able to create a way to view your MTDs inside Amazon Book Rankings. As longs the program is running and you have logged into KDP from "My Reports" it will auto update every 5 minutes and allow you to quickly look at your reports. (There is also a button in the viewer that allows you to manually refresh the reports page.)

Login Window:

Browser Reports:

Also, as it did before it can be simply lowered to the System tray where you can re-open it or view your reports, or heck, if you REALLY want to. You can close it.

Tray Menu:

And of course everyone's favorite Right Click menu is still there :)

Right Click Menu:

yes, there will be an UPDATE ALL button.

A few things have changed with ABR though, one of them being that it no longer auto updates the list upon loading. I did this mainly because with the Update All button it is just as easy for the user to hit it then to rob the user of control, just in case they wanted to look over it.

ABR v2.0 is currently in the closed testing phase, I have a few individuals who are trying to break it so I can fix whatever needs to be fixed. But I am hoping for a release in the next few weeks.

NOTE: ABR does not in anyway save your login information. the login information is sent to Amazon and left with them. and after you shutdown ABR, it destroys the cookie information given to Amazon for login credentials.

NOTE 2: If you choose to save your login credentials they are buried deep in YOUR system.

-------------------------------------------
Requests from David:
--(COMPLETED)--Going to add the ability to locally save your login information so each time you open the program it will launch directly to the reports page.

To Do:
--Add Green, Red or Black text in Rank cell based on Up, Down, or No Change.
--Add a "(+1 Reviews)".etc to the reviews cell to easily manage new incoming reviews.
--(COMPLETED)--Option to auto update the list every 30 minutes.
-------------------------------------------

Kristian Dalglish

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Kristian, are you selling this program or is it Freeware?  In the next few weeks, you say?  Is there somewhere we can see it, other than the screen shots you have provided?

Gordon Ryan

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gordon Ryan said:
Kristian, are you selling this program or is it Freeware? In the next few weeks, you say? Is there somewhere we can see it, other than the screen shots you have provided?

Gordon Ryan
I sold the last version, but I don't know if I will this time. I think I'll go for more of a Donation route this time around. and I hope to release maybe a demo in the next few days, I have a few things I need to add, like changing text colors based on up or down ranks and adding a new reviews count, things like that.

In an update I hope to release a couple months from now (after the initial release of 2.0) will have a report that logs your ranks and reviews based on date and time. So that writers can look up their past ranks/reviews.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Thanks, Kristian. Look forward to seeing the final product.  If you need another Beta tester . . .

Gordon Ryan

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I clearly understand that premise, but remember, Mom always loves the books?  It's the agents, editors and other writers who have the red pencil.

Cheers,

Gordon Ryan

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gordon Ryan said:
I clearly understand that premise, but remember, Mom always loves the books? It's the agents, editors and other writers who have the red pencil.

Cheers,

Gordon Ryan
The one thing you gotta remember, is that David is an evil evil man, he will tell me when things are broken. lol.

MosesSiregarIII said:
Excellent! Good work.
Thanks man!

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
You do realize that this makes you an enabler, right?  :D

Yep, those of us with rankings and sales checking addictions will truly fall off the wagon, if we were ever on it.  :D

That said, count me in!!

Also, I really think you should sell this.

Please don't throw things at me, guys. I just feel that he has worked hard and deserves some payback for it.

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RedAdept said:
Also, I really think you should sell this.

Please don't throw things at me, guys. I just feel that he has worked hard and deserves some payback for it.
I don't know, I am on the fence about selling the product, I feel maybe if I put a donation button within the program somewhere. Would allow users to donate for my hard work and to try and keep the product going and updated.

Selling it last time really limited the amount of users who got to experience it and have such a tool, which also limited my software from getting recognition. I figure maybe, by going the donation route, that I will get a MUCH larger download base which increases my chances of getting a reward for my work.

Still up in the air on all this.

·
Registered
982 Posts
K-Dalglish said:
I don't know, I am on the fence about selling the product, I feel maybe if I put a donation button within the program somewhere. Would allow users to donate for my hard work and to try and keep the product going and updated.

Selling it last time really limited the amount of users who got to experience it and have such a tool, which also limited my software from getting recognition. I figure maybe, by going the donation route, that I will get a MUCH larger download base which increases my chances of getting a reward for my work.

Still up in the air on all this.
I'm not for sure if you could do it, but what about creating a trial version of it? If someone could use your program for thirty days for free, you'd probably get a large number of people trying it out. If they liked it, they could buy it.

It's just an idea, of course.

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ryne Billings said:
I'm not for sure if you could do it, but what about creating a trial version of it? If someone could use your program for thirty days for free, you'd probably get a large number of people trying it out. If they liked it, they could buy it.

It's just an idea, of course.
I could do it, but I'm just really uncertain on how I feel about that. I kinda just feel like the program should be shared and used by the community and those willing to donate for future production can do so.

·
Registered
982 Posts
K-Dalglish said:
I could do it, but I'm just really uncertain on how I feel about that. I kinda just feel like the program should be shared and used by the community and those willing to donate for future production can do so.
I just wanted to offer an alternative. I know that if you made it free with an option to donate, I'd be happy with that. It sounds like an interesting program.

287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Things have really taking a different turn for me, with the help of a few people the testing phase was incredible and I fixed a lot of things. With that being said, I would like to update everyone and let them know that ABR should be released FREE to the public for initial runs Friday, May 27th.

The feature list below is what is available with the release friday:

** Tracks Paperbacks(ISBN-10) and E-Book rankings.
** Tracks Paperbacks(ISBN-10) and E-Book reviews.
** Places (ISBN), (ASIN), (Free), (Paid), (Paperback), (EBook) next to the appropriate fields, making it easier for the user to quickly find a specific style of book they are tracking.
** Option to update the list every 30 minutes, with tray icon notifications stating the start of update and completion of update.
** "My Reports" button, allowing the user to login to KDP and instantly view their reports, also added an option to save login information for each time the user runs ABR. Making viewing reports even quicker!
** Added a small features on the Add E-Books and Add Paperbacks window, which gives the user the option to add multiple books without having to re-open the window each time.
** Right Click menu with the ability to Remove Book, Update Rank, Update Reviews, or Update Both.
** Double clicking the reviews cell will take the user directly to that books product review page.
** Double clicking the title cell will take the user directly to the books front page on amazon.

--* Things to be added in the next update:
** Red, Green or Black texts on the rank showing the user if it went Down, Up, or No Change.
** Adding (+1 Reviews).etc to reviews cell so users can follow new reviews with ease.

I hope you all are as excited as I am about release of ABR 2.0 - See you Friday!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I bought your earlier version and I absolutely love it. So I will definitely be interested in the new version.

BTW, yesterday Norton did some sort of update and they put it quarantine which freaked me out. I had to tell Norton to knock it off, and I got it back, but I think since it was updating regularly, Norton didn't like it. But that's just a guess.

And I'll put in my two-cents worth: You charged a nominal amount before and you obviously put a lot of time and effort to come up with this program, so I have no problem paying like I did last time. Now that I annoyed everyone, I'll go away.  ;D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts