Kindle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was planning on putting a book on Pronoun.com. Can you tell me how this is superior to Pronoun.com, which is free?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am a member of streetlib and its great. The one problem I have with it is setting the price on google play. I try to set it as $.99 but GPLAY advertises it as $1.50. I wish SL would negotiate with google for a lower price or adjust their dashboard to make it that way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Giacomo -

I find your service interesting and welcome the entree to so many international channels as well as Google Play and OverDrive. However - am a bit concerned about your lack of DRM. Are digital watermarks as safe as DRM? What is your track record with piracy? Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
JTriptych said:
I am a member of streetlib and its great. The one problem I have with it is setting the price on google play. I try to set it as $.99 but GPLAY advertises it as $1.50. I wish SL would negotiate with google for a lower price or adjust their dashboard to make it that way.
JTriptych Yes you're right, but as I mentioned before you will soon be able to customize the price on Google Play via StreetLib for the main currencies. In that way you can provide to Google Play your desired List Price on which they'll pay your royalties, even if they can always change the cover price (meaning the price the final customers will see on the website). They can do that because they sell in wholesale, they do that all over the world and I'm not aware of someone getting a better agreement on that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ron Sauder said:
Hello Giacomo -

I find your service interesting and welcome the entree to so many international channels as well as Google Play and OverDrive. However - am a bit concerned about your lack of DRM. Are digital watermarks as safe as DRM? What is your track record with piracy? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Ron Sauder, many thanks for your feedback!

My opinion after working 10 years with this technologies is: DRM is the death of any digital economy.
Did you see what happened to Shelfie? DRM is a digital locker that limits the freedom of your loyalty readers without limiting the possibility to hack or copy your ebooks. It doesn't make sense at all to use the DRM nowadays. It's pointless to use a standard file format (EPUB) if you then apply the DRM on it because DRM is a proprietary technology which is not standard at all. DRM is compatible with a limited fraction of reading applications and devices, it doesn't allow to copy and share the text, it doesn't allow to move or copy your ebooks across different devices, etc...

We're proudly advocating against DRM since 2006: please trust me and start using the digital watermark, which is not a locker but a simple image that you add at the end of your books with your credits. Publishing a standard EPUB with watermark you will let your ebooks flow as much as they deserve, which is the best long-term strategy ever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
loraininflorida said:
I was planning on putting a book on Pronoun.com. Can you tell me how this is superior to Pronoun.com, which is free?
loraininflorida Thanks for the question!

Pronoun is doing great and as far as I can see many people here in the forum are excited about it. They do offer some great deals for authors interested in the US market (where they're basically free, as you said), but I've yet to understand how (and for how long) this can work for them. Plus, as far as I can read on their TOS, they can unilaterally change the distribution conditions at any time. So, honestly, I like their technology (many authors told me great things about their analytics capabilities) and I don't like the way they're managing their business (I think it's not transparent at all).

How does StreetLib (SL) compare to Pronoun (PR)? Here's a list of the main differences:
1. SL distributes to all the big online retailers in the US (Amazon, Google, Apple, Kobo and B&N) and to many others relevant retailers all around the world (BajaLibros, Bookmate, CasaDelLibro, Tolino, the StreetLib store, here the complete list: https://www.streetlib.com/book-stores/)
2. SL has a 10% distribution fee, regardless the book price, the book size and the country where the book is sold.
3. SL offers for FREE a full-featured authoring environment (called StreetLib Write) where you can upload your manuscript, edit/format/update it online, apply a beautiful graphic template, get your EPub/Mobi or publish it through our distribution technology.
4. SL offers a POS platform (called StreetLib Print) that lets you print a number of copies of your books or distribute your printed copies on Amazon and other online retailers. There's no upfront cost and you only need to upload your print-ready PDF file. Making a good print-ready PDF is not that easy and SL offers some cool additional services to make it easier.
5. SL offers an e-commerce platform (called StreetLib Stores) that lets you create your own book store and publish it on your website, in that way you can start direct selling your books to your readers without any technical knowledge and up-front cost. SL takes 15% for each sale, that means you'll end up getting a 75% royalties for your books direct-sold through your website.

I would like to add a final comment: We at StreetLib have a clear vision of how this new digital publishing world is going to evolve and we like to play for the long term. We embrace inclusivity instead of exclusivity, we invest in developing added value services to improve our customers' business instead of leveraging our strategy on our competitors' commercial operations, we make our best to build a loyalty community of authors and publishers that believe in our team instead of attracting them with specific marketing campaigns. This is an article I wrote to describe what we're doing: https://medium.com/streetlib/wider-is-wiser-c59b27a674a0#.4wb36lpd7. Hope it helps, thank you!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Giac said:
JTriptych Yes you're right, but as I mentioned before you will soon be able to customize the price on Google Play via StreetLib for the main currencies. In that way you can provide to Google Play your desired List Price on which they'll pay your royalties, even if they can always change the cover price (meaning the price the final customers will see on the website). They can do that because they sell in wholesale, they do that all over the world and I'm not aware of someone getting a better agreement on that.
Well if you could make a pricing option in your menu thats below .99 but above FREE so it gets an adjusted price of .99 at GPLAY, then that would be a big help. I lost out on advertising for Bookbub because I couldn't price at .99 on GP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
JTriptych said:
Well if you could make a pricing option in your menu thats below .99 but above FREE so it gets an adjusted price of .99 at GPLAY, then that would be a big help. I lost out on advertising for Bookbub because I couldn't price at .99 on GP.
JTriptych Yes exactly. BTW since you're already publishing with us, please drop us a line (support AT streetlib DOT com) to ask to adjust your price on GPlay and keep the Bookbub promotion going (we're already managing these situations even if it's not available for anyone to use yet).

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
@Giacomo: Buona fortuna!

@everyone else:

1) I use Draft2Digital, and I figure that the 10 percent I give up is a fair exchange for the labor I save in not maintaining individual accounts at Barnes & Noble, Apple, and Kobo. Besides, you know perfectly well that we don't get 70 percent at Amazon: there is a delivery charge, we get 35 percent on Amazon.com sales to other countries, and if we're not enrolled in Select we get 35 percent at IN and JP I think and maybe some lesser stores.

2) The ability to sell through Google Play is huge IMHO. I was lucky enough to enroll in Google Books some years ago, so when I decided to throw in my lot with them again last year, I was able to renew that relationship. However, you really must price higher or Amazon will match the discounted price, perhaps throwing you -- again! -- into the 35 percent royalty. These are the prices I use, with Amazon and D2D on the left, Google Play on the right: $2.99=$3.95, $3.99=$5, $4.99=$6.50. However! Google may be big in IN but evidently nowhere else: my earnings there are about on a level with Kobo. Like Kobo, it's good to have, but it's not like B&N or Apple.

3) Finally, neither would I ever click on a disguised link (too many nasties out there!). When I read Giacomo's original post, I simply Googled StreetLib USA and it was the first return (also the second, and the third....).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Chrissy said:
I'm sorry this has happened to you. You've been quite patient.

I hope someone from Streetlib sees your post and resolves your problem immediately.

Good Luck!
My post did get things moving again and all the issues were resolved to my satisfaction. As a result I added my back catalogue to StreetLib :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Hello,
I'm Giacomo of StreetLib, we'd like to make sure Pronoun users aren't left with no alternative for distributing their books, and we've already put in place a tool specifically for books coming from Pronoun, to make the transfer process to StreetLib as easy as possible!

Here you can find all the details: http://bit.ly/2jbEoUy

Thank you,
Giac

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Susanne. said:
Only American authors? There are just as many in the UK and Europe.
Not only American, our customers are from all around the world! :)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have two issues and those are:
1. No secure place to update my tax info. I'm not sending it via email. (I received an email a few months ago and have been too lazy to respond.)
2. Does the book cover need to be a special size or contain any logos? Under Narcissus it was a pain to upload.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
dianapersaud said:
I have two issues and those are:
1. No secure place to update my tax info. I'm not sending it via email. (I received an email a few months ago and have been too lazy to respond.)
2. Does the book cover need to be a special size or contain any logos? Under Narcissus it was a pain to upload.
Hello dianapersaud,

1) You don't have to send it via email, you can upload the PDF form here https://simplicissimus.wufoo.eu/forms/m1k5db0t0gcosfv/ (that's a secure link)

2) Our logo is NOT mandatory on the cover, please you find our guidelines here: https://help.streetlib.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001802945

Thank you
Giacomo

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shelley K said:
People considering Streetlib owe it to themselves to Google 'Streetlib Ripoff Report' and read the account there.
Hi Shelley K. AC, from StreetLib here. Yes, I do hope people considering any platform are doing a thorough vetting of the said platform. When Googling StreetLib, they'll find a long list of reviews and comments, most of them positive. This particular "ripoff report" has been posted by a user who did not understand stores economic models (namely list prices for Google Play), jumped to conclusions about us and refuses to modify his statement after our repeated explanations.

I do hope everyone is able to form their own judgement and, of course, we are happy to answer any question.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Shelley K said:
People considering Streetlib owe it to themselves to Google 'Streetlib Ripoff Report' and read the account there.
I looked at this report, and then for others. It appears to me this is an isolated case, since I did not find others like it. If this was a common issue, I'm sure there would be many other reports. Reminds me of an old saying "It takes 1000 at a boys, to offset 1 aw shit."

41 - 60 of 70 Posts