Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than tons of water and ibuprofen, do you have a remedy for passing a kidney stone? I am going through this and it is possibly the most painful thing I have ever been through. Even a C- section doesn't come close to this!

·
Registered
157 Posts
As one who had Kidney stones almost two years ago with a kidney infection and an UTI all at the same time. I can surely sympathize with you.  The only thing that helped me get through it was lots of water and some serious pain meds from the Dr. Keep drinking anything as long as it does not have any caffeine in it. My Dr. told me to drink water till I felt like I was drowning and then drink some more.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Once I looked up home remedies for that stuff online, and wound up trying this: shot of olive oil, followed by shot of lemon juice, and supposed to be followed by shot of apple cider vinegar. I didn't make it to the vinegar, and thanks to the olive oil I forgot I was in pain, spent an hour or so trying to not vomit, then was sick for two days and barely ate.  Sometime during all that the kidney quit hurting.

So I dunno if it works but I won't be doing that again.  I grow kidney stones like some kind of garden.  When they twinge I just drink buttloads of water and cranberry juice and cut back on soda for two days.  I don't take ibuprofen unless I'm passing one and then not much; it can raise the blood pressure and I'm already on BP meds so that's bad for me.  Ultram is my med of choice if it gets really bad.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Dear Val2

I have much compassion for you as a kidney stone producer of many years (the head banging , praying to die variety).  What worked for me was acupuncture every other week. In the past three years I have had only a handful of moderate attacks.  You acupuncture practitioner can also order for you capsules of Chinese herbs called DISSOLVE KS manufactured by Evergreen. Another solution is a tincture of Berberis Vulgaris, a homeopathic remedy. Find a homeopath who can tell you how to take it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I've never had kidney stones, but I hear they're extremely painful. You have my sympathy for what you're going through. Hope you have relief soon. Do they tell you what foods cause it so you can avoid the problem again?

Joyce

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I haven't had them, either, but my sister did and she can testify to the pain. I've heard that the Chinese herbs are very effective.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The Spouse Thingy has had many, and a few years ago an ultrasound revealed he has 16 floating around in just one kidney. He has so much to look forward to...

In any case, about the only thing he can do short of surgery (which he's had to have done) is drinking water like a fish to float the offending stone out. And definitely, avoid caffeine, dairy, and even herbal tea.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm so sorry.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Keep us posted.
deb

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Val2 said:
Other than tons of water and ibuprofen, do you have a remedy for passing a kidney stone? I am going through this and it is possibly the most painful thing I have ever been through. Even a C- section doesn't come close to this!
Sounds like you're already doing what I did. Water and ibuprofen were my only ideas.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all so much. I have looked up diet and the only thing I can see that has significantly changed is that I am eating a heap more strawberries which apparently you should only eat in moderation. The rest of my diet seems fine, I always drink a lot of water, maybe eat a little too much protein. Yesterday was a good day with not too much pain, I hate taking too many pain killers but am also not going to be a martyr here!
I am going to try the Jump and Bump link tommorrow if I don't see a change.(Thank you for that)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hm.  Jump and bump indeed.  I'll pass on the bump thing 'cause I don't see myself banging my a$$ repeatedly onto a toilet seat for any reason... ok maybe if I lack hands and the poop won't drop... but seriously, no.  The jump method does look promising though.  Maybe that's why working 12 hours and walking nonstop always seems to help a little. 

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Sorry about your pain. But it will pass if not too large. Drinking lot of water is the way as many have suggested.

But even after you're done with passing the stone. And I hope you do soon. It's a good idea to drink water daily for good health and to avoid future problem.  I start with 2 glasses in the morning. But don't drink much in the evening. Because it will interfere with the sleep due to frequent bathroom visit.  Good luck!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I feel your pain.  Literally, having had kidney stones a couple of years ago.  First off I'd recommend a better painkiller - I took Vicodin (and hated it, can't believe folks get addicted to the stuff) but I was darned glad to have it.  And keep it on board - don't wait to take it until it starts hurting, it's too late then.

I had stones in both kidneys, they ended up removing the ones that caused the initial attack surgically, partly because it had been about 10 days and because we had a vacation scheduled.  Turned out because of the shape it never would've passed on its own (my husband has had a stone that had to be removed as well).  The other stone passed on its own with little pain, I recognized it when it started twinging and only took one Vicodin, it passed a couple of days later and I hadn't had any more pain and didn't even realize it passed until I saw it in the "strainer".

If you're someone who can't take something like Vicodin or Lortab (which they gave my daughter when she had a stone attack lat fall when she was pregnant), just keep the ibuprofen or tylenol on board, drink lots of water, and I have heard lemon juice can be helpful. 

Hope it passes soon! 

1 - 14 of 14 Posts