Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was in Storrs CT Friday night. :)  It was his first gig since his surgery and he was fantastic. If you get a chance to see him and his band Shoe Suede Blues, go for it! :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Did he Monkey around?

Glad you got to meet who ever he is. I sort of remember somehting on the Monkee's on TV when I was a kid.

Sailor

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
qotdr said:
Wow, how fun is that! I was a Peter fan too. He doesn't look like he's aged well though :(
He had major surgery back in March. From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Tork

On March 3, 2009, Tork reported on his website that he had been diagnosed with adenoid cystic carcinoma, a rare, slow-growing form of head and neck cancer. Tork underwent extensive surgery March 4, 2009 in New York City. A preliminary biopsy discovered that the cancer had not spread beyond the initial site.

"It's a bad news, good news situation," explains Tork, "It's so rare a combination (on the tongue) that there isn't a lot of experience among the medical community about this particular combination. On the other hand, the type of cancer it is, never mind the location, is somewhat well known, and the prognosis, I'm told, is good." While his doctors don't believe he'll need chemotherapy, Tork will have to undergo radiation treatment to prevent the cancer from returning[1]. He hopes to be able to perform a planned gig with the Shoe Suede Blues in Manchester, Connecticut[2].

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
qotdr said:
Wow, how fun is that! I was a Peter fan too. He doesn't look like he's aged well though :(
He is recovering from cancer. He had surgery in March to remove a cancerous tumor from under his tongue. They had to split his chin open and literally unhinge his jaw to get to it, so he was on a liquid only diet for 6 weeks and lost a lot of weight. That's why he looks so skinny. He's doing great now though and for a guy who's close to 70 he's got tons of energy and looks pretty good!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sailor said:
Did he Monkey around?

Glad you got to meet who ever he is. I sort of remember somehting on the Monkee's on TV when I was a kid.

Sailor
Hey, have you seen Shrek? If so remember the song "I'm A Believer"? That was actually a #1 hit for the Monkees, if that refreshes your memory..LOL

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, of course it is Peter Tork. I was freshman in high school when The Monkees were on TV. A boy gave me for Christmas. I still remember how cute he was showing up a my door with a present for me. Oh that brings back memories. (By the way, Peter was my favorite.)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm a Mike girl ;)

I got to see them in 1985 and Wierd Al opened for them. My first concert!!!

Glad you got to meet Peter!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hey, hey, we're the monkeys and we're not monkeying around

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
HUGE Monkees fan! When they re-aired all the episodes on MTV in 1986 we recorded them all and my kids then became Monkees fans as well! I loved them all! Davey because he was so cute and short like me... Peter because he was so sweet and gullible... Mickey because he was so crazy and funny... and Mike because he played a mean guitar and was from Texas!! ;D

I still have all my Monkees albums! Peter Tork guest starred on Boy Meets World as Topanga's dad and on 7th Heaven as an old friend and band member of Eric's. DD got to see Davey in Vegas about 9 years ago. I was so jealous!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
mom133d said:
I'm a Mike girl ;)
I got to see them in 1985 and Wierd Al opened for them. My first concert!!!
Me too!. Never knew another Mike fan before. Must have been great to see them in concert. My sister and I used to watch them all the time (she was a Mickey fan). I'm going to have to pull out that CD and listen to it now.

NYCKindleFan
Cool meeting Peter - nice picture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Angela said:
HUGE Monkees fan! When they re-aired all the episodes on MTV in 1986 we recorded them all and my kids then became Monkees fans as well! I loved them all! Davey because he was so cute and short like me... Peter because he was so sweet and gullible... Mickey because he was so crazy and funny... and Mike because he played a mean guitar and was from Texas!! ;D

I still have all my Monkees albums! Peter Tork guest starred on Boy Meets World as Topanga's dad and on 7th Heaven as an old friend and band member of Eric's. DD got to see Davey in Vegas about 9 years ago. I was so jealous!
I met Davy in November. Put on a great show and he's still cute. :D Mike no longer tours (but he does live concerts on his website every so often-his most recent was a week ago) so Micky is the only Monkee left I have a chance of meeting. Peter's a very nice man.

I remember Peter on Boy Meets World and 7th Heaven! He was great. Micky and Davy did an ep of Boy Meets world with him, it was hilarious. Those guys just have the best chemistry!

·
Registered
860 Posts
When I was 5 my Mom took me to see "Oliver" on the stage in San Francisco.  Davey Jones played the Artful Dodger.  As we were walking out of the theater he ran out one of the side doors and was hopping into a limo.  He turned around and asked us if we wanted an autograph.  My Mom handed him her program and went to grab mine to hand to him but I didn't want someone writing on it and made a big fuss about it.  LOL!  My poor mother was so embarrassed.

We also had two of their albums.  I'm not sure who bought them because as kids we were too young to care about the music and my hippie parents were not into that bubble gum type of music.  Yes, I saw the Grateful Dead a few times as a kid and a production of Hair when I was three.  Live nudity.  It freaked me out to say the least.

Life in N. Calif in the 60's.  Ahhh...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts