Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started going wide this month.
I and my website are pretty new so I don't have much traffic. However, I just wanted to remind everyone to sign up for affiliate links on the other sites.
I think most of us are Amazon affiliates but other sites also run affiliate programs -

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/affiliates?style=onestore&store=US&language=en-US&culture=en-US
iTunes: https://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/

You have to apply and be approved but I was approved within 1-2 days. Kobo's site is a little harder to navigate. Once you're approved, used the "deep linking" button and enter the URL of your book to generate the affiliate link.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I tried subscribing to Apple, and never heard back from them. Viglink is an aggregator of sorts for affiliate programs. They offer commissions to B&N, iBooks, Kobo and *I THINK* Amazon (although I'm in 'Zon's affiliate program too).

https://www.viglink.com/?vgref=994749

MeganBryce *I THINK* it violates Amazon's TOS if you have affiliate links in your front/back matter, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
C. Gockel said:
MeganBryce *I THINK* it violates Amazon's TOS if you have affiliate links in your front/back matter, but could be wrong.
That is correct. You can't put amazon affiliate links in your books, or in emails/newsletters. The only place they are allowed is on the website you specified when you signed up.

That is the official stance, although MANY people violate it without repercussions. I would rather be safe than risk my account when they decide to do one of their notorious, out of the blue crackdowns.

It is no problem to put links in your emails and books that lead to your site. In fact, it is easier in many ways, since you can change anything you want about the page without having to update the links in all of your books. ;D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize if I was not clear. The affiliate links are applied to my website.
All links in my books about my books link to my website. It saves me the hassle of changing links within each book.  Trust me, it's a time saver when you just list your website links in your book.
It's also within the TOS! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Caveat: On Amazon, certain states (including Colorado) aren't allowed to become affiliates because they're in a taxation fight. If you live in one of those contentious states, the affiliate link will be greyed out/not selectable.

Feh.  :(

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
cvannatta said:
Caveat: On Amazon, certain states (including Colorado) aren't allowed to become affiliates because they're in a taxation fight. If you live in one of those contentious states, the affiliate link will be greyed out/not selectable.

Feh. :(
Write a nice letter to your state representative and governor.

·
Registered
13,311 Posts
Were you able to get that Kobo link to work?

That Rakuten Linkshare is the most horrible of sites to navigate. I've had contact with the CEO of the program at Kobo and made all my deeplinks, but after a while, they pointed just to the Kobo store, not my books.

{expletive} useless, if you ask me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
C. Gockel said:
Pretty sure you can in emails. That is how most of the emails (FussyLibrarian, ReadCheaply) make their money.
Nope. You definitely can not. It is spelled out clearly in the ToS.

They way most sites do it is with a redirect. They will send you to their site, then bounce you right to Amazon. You might not even notice. That is how Bookbub does it, at least. If you check out the links in their emails, you can see it.

Again, it doesn't seem like Amazon cracks down on authors who do this, but you never know when they will start! ;D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this something new? I'm in CO but I have an affiliate account. However, I did sign up as an affiliate a few years ago. Maybe that's a factor?
Anyway I'll be moving from this terrible snow soon :p

cvannatta said:

Feh. :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but....

How do you become an Amazon Affiliate?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go here to sign up with amazon: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/join/landing/main.html
Once you sign up, a small affiliate toolbar will appear on top of your amazon page if you're logged into your amazon account. This toolbar will give you the option of generating affiliate links for any amazon produce page. You can also create affiliate links to your author page.

Kobo Linkshare is indeed not user friendly. It took me a while to figure it out. When you're logged in, go to the "LINKS" button and choose "DEEP LINKING" button. Select "Kobo" under advertiser then put in the URL of your product. I had to get my URL by actually looking for my book on the main Kobo site. Enter the URL of your product then "create link".

I tried to create links by using the "product linkfinder" button but almost every time I tried to make a link from the productfinder, the link generated will only link to the kobo ebook site and not to my specific book.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts