Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon currently calls my Kindle "Ann's Kindle".  Descriptive but not clever.

A friend of mine calls it my "Magic Book".  Also descriptive and much more clever.

If I go to Amazon and change the name, that won't discombobulate anything with my subscriptions or anything will it?  I don't plan to change the e-mail address.

No, this does not mean I'm naming my Kindle, er Magic Book.  :)

Thanks
Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It should not disrupt anything, Ann. I have heard people say that when they rename their Kindle it goes through a reindexing process and that can run the battery down. Since I named my Kindle right at the start, I don't have that experience. But just to let you know, as an old timer who suddenly had her Kindle tell her its name...

L

(leslie runs and ducks...)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've changed what Amazon calls my Kindle several times. Usually just to make Amazon's statements slightly amusing ie: send wirelessly to Other Side of Room. (It's kind of like adding "in bed" to fortunes but much less funny).

I haven't noticed re-indexing but since I've started leaving WN on a lot I've been plugging it in at night.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:
But just to let you know, as an old timer who suddenly had her Kindle tell her its name...
L

(leslie runs and ducks...)
:p It was actually my friend home from college who did it. . .but she names everything, so I shouldn't be surprised.

But, seriously, good to know about the re-indexing. I'll change it just before I go to bed tonight and leave it plugged in.

ScottBooks said:
I've changed what Amazon calls my Kindle several times. Usually just to make Amazon's statements slightly amusing ie: send wirelessly to Other Side of Room. (It's kind of like adding "in bed" to fortunes but much less funny).
O.K. This is hilarious! it's a good thing I wasn't drinking because if I had been it'd have been 'up the nose'. Hubby at the other end of the couch just looked at me funny for laughing at the computer.

One more thing. . .If someone else already has the name I can't use it, right? Or does the unique Kindle ID keep it sorted?

Ann

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I don't think there's anything to stop you from using a name that someone else uses...you need a unique email address, but that' separate from the name...

Betsy

·
Registered
366 Posts
Kindle name doesn't matter.  Just think how many Ann's, Jeff's, Betsy's and Al's there are out there and Amazon defaults to Ann's Kindle when you buy one because that is the name on your amazon account.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thejackylking said:
Kindle name doesn't matter. Just think how many Ann's, Jeff's, Betsy's and Al's there are out there and Amazon defaults to Ann's Kindle when you buy one because that is the name on your amazon account.
I guess that's so. . . though you picked 4 names that, so far, there's only one of each on this board. The only other Ann has an 'e' (Hi Anne) and if there are other Jeff's, Betsy's, and Al's they're still lurking. Come out, come out, wherever you are! :D

My Kindle is now Magic Book.

Ann

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Vampyre said:
No, there is only Betsy. The others were umm quilted.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
LOL!

Interestingly enough (or maybe not!) if you google Betsy True, depending on the day, the top search result may be actor Edward Norton's babysitter, who is credited with getting him started in acting. Not me. Although there are a few actors I'd like to babysit. D'ya think Hugh Jackman needs a babysitter?

Betsy

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first choice for my Kindle was "Crack" cuz it is so additive, like... you know, crack!  Now I've changed it to "The Money Pit" but I mean that only in a loving way.  ;)  Go for it.  Change your Kindle's name.  Rechristen it.  Make it yours!!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
When I changed the name of my Kindle, I added my phone number after the name.  If Anabel gets lost, she'll have a phone number for someone to call.  I admit most people won't know how to turn off the screensaver, but it makes me feel better knowing she has a phone number with her. (I'm also going to stick a business card in her case)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts