Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a K1 via craigslist about 3 or 4 months ago..two nights ago I settled down for my evening read, but then horror struck, the screen had broken. I didn't drop it, nor recall sitting anything on top of it (that would be very unlike me).

I thought I'd try contacting Amazon to see if a replacement screen could be purchased, but they tracked the serial and found that the unit still fell within the 1 year warranty period and without even asking for it, they set up shipping a replacement unit before I even knew what was happening!

They said it would arrive the next day. Though I'm excited about the prospect that they will send a K2, there's a possibility they will send a K1 (refurbished or new). The antici.......................................pation is killing me! LOL

R

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have heard of other people who have received replacements for broken screens that seem to happen for no reason, such as rmaiolo is describing.

Keep us posted on the new arrival!

L

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think if the screen just "stopped working" and isn't damaged it would be considered a malfunction.  It isn't like the poster "broke" the screen.  Am I making sense?

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
You will get a K1. I had mine replaced last week I believe it was, they still have some K1's according to the CS. Don't know what they will do down the road though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trekker said:
Well, the original poster specifically said "the screen had broken" and he doesn't remember sitting anything on top of it. He also asked for a replacement screen.

That sounds like it was physical damage to me. He doesn't say it "stopped working."

Maybe he can clarify things.
It clearly looked as if the screen was broken physically and that's what I related to CS. Wither it will be a K1 or K2 (wishful thinking, I know), I'm completely surprised and happy with the service I've received.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just an update..I received my replacement unit today, a K1 but happy to have a working unit again!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Happy ending, for what could have been an expensive tragedy!

You found out that your K1 still had warranty left - that's one of the worries I've had about my K1, purchased "new, sealed in box" but from eBay - I don't have an Amazon purchase receipt (the seller won this K1 on "Ellen Degeneres Show!"), so how would I check on remaining warranty if (heaven forbid!) my K1 needs service? Registration date? eBay purchase proof? (It was worth the risk of NO warranty, saving $100 off new price, but still...)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
r0b0d0c said:
Happy ending, for what could have been an expensive tragedy!

You found out that your K1 still had warranty left - that's one of the worries I've had about my K1, purchased "new, sealed in box" but from eBay - I don't have an Amazon purchase receipt (the seller won this K1 on "Ellen Degeneres Show!"), so how would I check on remaining warranty if (heaven forbid!) my K1 needs service? Registration date? eBay purchase proof? (It was worth the risk of NO warranty, saving $100 off new price, but still...)
Interesting history...a "won" Kindle from Ellen DeGeneres.

I keep wondering if any of our members were in the audience at the Oprah show, or Ellen, but so far, no one has said so.

L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts