Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little background first. I live on a very small island in the Atlantic Ocean. Lets just say it is associated with shorts, triangles and grass.

I went into our city today to register my Kindle with the Customs Department to avoid paying Duty on her again when I return home from traveling. To my surprise the Customs Officer who wrote up my slip knew exactly what she was. He said in the last 3 months he has had quite a few of them bought in to him for registration. I mentioned that they were very difficult for non US Residents to get their hands on and he agreed with me and said that most of the ones he had seen had been purchased for the owners through US Residents.

I think he had only seen nekked Kindles before today because he said mine was the prettiest he had ever seen. Libi is dressed in Rockstar by DecalGirl.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think it's great that some outside of the US can enjoy the Kindle. Even if Whispernet couldn't be factored in, I think that others should be able to buy them. Is the reasoning copywrite? Does anyone have any information that they could share?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chynared21 said:
I think it's great that some outside of the US can enjoy the Kindle. Even if Whispernet couldn't be factored in, I think that others should be able to buy them. Is the reasoning copywrite? Does anyone have any information that they could share?
I can only make an assumption, but I am thinking it has to do with Authors &/or Publishers being concerned about enforcing copywrite laws overseas.

This is what I do know:

1) Amazon will not sell Kindle Books to Non US Residents. They have decided to enforce this with the requirement that Kindle Books can only be purchased using a USA CC issued by a USA bank in the USA.

2) Amazon states that they will sell Kindles only to USA Residents.

3) Amazon will allow those of us with Kindles but without a USA CC issued by a USA bank in the USA to download all the samples that we want. The rub is that samples are only downloadable via whispernet!

4) "They" will have to give in eventually and sell worldwide. The Authors &/or Publishers will eventually see that the gains far outweigh the losses.

IMHO, this nonsense causes copywrite infringements. There are many criminally minded people who will have no problem selling the material overseas to the people who want it by circumventing the Publishers/Authors and Amazon and then none of the profits go where they belong. Personally, I do things the legal way but many people will purchase illegally if they are not allowed to purchase legally.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I believe that agreements with publishers affect where they can sell books.  Copyright is also different in different countries.  They have said that they are working on agreements for the UK, at least.

·
Registered
249 Posts
An additional problem could be US import/export laws.  I work for an aircraft company and you cannot believe what we go through to import/export anything.  Even the smallest parts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmm. On an island . . . associated with shorts, triangles, and grass . . . where could that be?

My question: How do you get books for your Kindle? (If you don't mind my asking.) I hope you are rich enough to fly in your private jet to the US whenever you feel the need to buy a new book! :)

Your Kindle skin is beautiful! I have the dalmatian one (because it matches my dog). I just love the decalgirl skins!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I believe the sale to US only has to do with international rights. Authors may sell US publishing rights, European publishing rights, and rest of world rights to different companies.  I suspect this is what is behind the problem.

Steve

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Khabita said:
Hmm. On an island . . . associated with shorts, triangles, and grass . . . where could that be?

My question: How do you get books for your Kindle? (If you don't mind my asking.) I hope you are rich enough to fly in your private jet to the US whenever you feel the need to buy a new book! :)

Your Kindle skin is beautiful! I have the dalmatian one (because it matches my dog). I just love the decalgirl skins!
LOL...somewhere warm???

I would think she could buy books anywhere else except for Amazon. Pity...Amazon loses out on her business.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tecwritr said:
An additional problem could be US import/export laws. I work for an aircraft company and you cannot believe what we go through to import/export anything. Even the smallest parts.
This may be true for the Kindle. I know that I have not been able to mail/web order certain software and computer hardware due to these laws. It is a little silly because "International Spies or whomever" the US Govt do not want to have this stuff can readily buy a ticket to the USA, purchase what they want and then carry it out themselves.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Khabita said:

I am getting Kindle books from the free sources such as Baen and Gutenberg etc.. There is plenty of reading material out there to keep me busy for a very long time. I have not tried purchasing from other e-book sellers yet but I do not think I will have a problem with some of them.

No private jet .... it will not help me anyway. I cannot purchase books from Amazon wether I am in a Whispernet zone or not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chynared21 said:
LOL...somewhere warm???

I would think she could buy books anywhere else except for Amazon. Pity...Amazon loses out on her business.
Yes, somewhere warm and beautiful and quite tropical even though it is not in the Tropics, surrounded by beautiful blue ocean and pink sand beaches. 20 square miles and about 60,000 residents.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ProfCrash said:
As long as you have a Credit Card with a US address on it, you can buy Kindle books from Amazon and download them using the USB cable.
I have a US address attached to my CC but I still cannot get Books from Amazon. My research says the CC needs to be issued by a US Bank in the USA. If you have a different experience please let me know.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have no experience with this, I am in the US and have not used my Kindle out of the US. I am guessing that if you were able to use your credit card to buy the Kindle that you should be able to use it to buy Kindle books throught hte website and upload them to the Kindle using the USB cord.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stevene9 said:
I believe the sale to US only has to do with international rights. Authors may sell US publishing rights, European publishing rights, and rest of world rights to different companies. I suspect this is what is behind the problem.

Steve
I had never thought of this angle. It sounds plausible.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ProfCrash said:
I have no experience with this, I am in the US and have not used my Kindle out of the US. I am guessing that if you were able to use your credit card to buy the Kindle that you should be able to use it to buy Kindle books throught hte website and upload them to the Kindle using the USB cord.
Yes, that was what I was hoping, but it did not happen.

Amazon has added this to its Kindle Page "Note that Kindles cannot currently be sold or shipped to customers living outside of the U.S." That was not there when I made my purchase.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Cat616 - welcome to the international Kindles.  I am not in the US but do have a US CC and address and buy books and other stuff from Amazon.  Don't know bout the US credit card, I doubt if that would matter if there are US addresses involved.  Maybe some other international members can chime in here if they have non-US credit cards.  It is easy enough to get books, but you cannot use the whispernet they have to be downloaded to the computer.

I know what you mean bout blue skies and almost tropical, 'cept we have a lake not the ocean where I am, also we don't have hurricanes.  ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts