Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I am throwing in my name as the volunteer moderator for a possible book klub thread for George R. R. Martin's "A Dance with Dragons" (hereafter referred to as ADWD), the fift novel in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" (ASOIAF) series of fantasy novels, currently set for e-book release on 12 July (though I hear a whimper of a rumor it may drop on 1 July). I've not done this before but I read the guidelines and skimmed some of the other ones so I have a decent idea of what to do. ADWD is gonna be HUGE, around the length of "A Storm of Swords" (ASOS), so with a 6ish week time span to read it we are still gonna be trucking along pretty fast (10-15 chapters/week depending on the final count). Granted, I know the die-hards will blitz it if only to avoid "OMG Jon is killed by Arya!" (JOKE!!!) spoilers that will flood the interwebz but if we all agree to only discuss at the posted pace we will get along fine.

I will gladly surrender mod status to anyone who has some experience with this, but we all start somewhere, eh?

This thread will be a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT open thread about all previous ASOIAF books, ancillary material (the Dunk and Egg novellas, HBO TV show), and fan theories so long as they do NOT extend past the pace of ADWD (so if Jon's parentage is revealed, please don't discuss it until we all get there). If you are new to ASOIAF, book 5 is probably NOT the place to start, even if you liked the HBO series "A Game of Thrones", as that series only covered the first book and a tad of the second, and many many many things happen between that book and book 5. Of note, ADWD runs concurrently with the 4th book, "A Feast For Crows" (AFFC) buts deals with different characters so having read that book is not critical for ADWD, though I understand that some of the plot points in AFFC will be resolved in ADWD so I'd like to allow AFFC spoilers in this thread.

I don't know how to post a KB affiliate amazon order link, but I bet if we all use it to buy our e-book copies (please, no complaining about the $15 price in this thread!) we could fund this board for a bit :)

If thre is enough interest for Betsy to apporve this klub I'll make one of those nice informative first posts and see if I can muster the BBS skills necessary to put up some images and links for the many excellent background source sites out there since I suspect most of us will need to brush up on ASOS and AFFC plot points. There are some good podcasts out there as well (some exceedingly vulgar) for folks wanting some additional immersion.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I just saw your post in the A Game of Thrones thread as well .... I'm thinking an overall Song of Ice and Fire Klub and reading through all 5 in order over the next x time period ....

We could do all the books at once but that might get messy ... what do you think? I saw one schedule on line for GoT reading that broke it into 4 discussion weeks with 13 chapters a week. That sounds like a lot but I gave away my paper copies and havent' rebought it as an ecopy yet so I can't really tell how much reading that is ....

Is that a good number of chapters? Half that? what does anyone think?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I was reading GoT on my Kindle and can only say that I typically got through 2 chapters on my 30-or-so minute subway ride.

·
Registered
508 Posts
^^^^^^
What Geoffrey said...I've not read any of the books, and would like to have the impetus to do so.

(BTW, Geoffrey...LOVE the new icin!)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
As someone who has read books 1-4 and is chomping at the bit to get Book 5 on my Kindle, but who also would like to see books 1-4 discussed, in order, for new and old readers out there, I was wondering if we might start the A Dance with Dragons Book Klub when it is released, in addition to wherever we happen to be in the A Game of Thrones Book Klub? As our potential moderator Jason posted above, ADwD would be for those who have already read the first 4 and any spoilers from books 1-4 would be fair game, while such spoilers should not be posted on AGoT. If there is enough interest, the ADwD Book Klub could be repeated in sequence after the first four Klubs.

N :)

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I'm chiming to a vote for all the novels and not just ADWD although I'd take part in that if it were the decision, but there is so much to discuss in the earlier ones and most forums don't allow real discussion.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'd like to start at the beginning. The only conversation I've had on AGoT was with people at IMDB, and I'm still a little twitchy. I want to discuss with you guys!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only problem with a general ADWD thread is that NO ONE should enter it until they finish the book. Seems to me the value of a book klub is that we can explore and speculate together, getting a deeper read the first time through, rather than blitzing the book and having to go back to catch the little details. But it is certainly the easiest option and is going to happen regardless, this book is probably the most anticipated title this year for fantasy readers (unless Wheel of Time book 13(the last one?) comes out as well).

Going through each book would be fine, but that is a HUGE reading commitment, as the first 4 books represent 3500 pages, give or take. Could easily take an entire year. I do think that a klub for book 2, "A Clash of Kings" would be awesome if timed to finish just as season 2 of GoT premiers on HBO. You could do AGoT alongside season 1 of GoT as it follows the book very closely (when the DVD set comes out?), but I'm not sure what will happen with season 2, especially if they think HBO is getting squirrely about a season 3 (though I think at least 5 seasons are virtually assured, the show seems to be a critical and commercial hit).

But I am a ASOIAF super-freak, so I'm down for anything :) I only have about 2 months to be a mod though, then I have to move and will have a few months of real work to do, so I'm only volunteering to mod a ADWD klub at the moment. I'm open to modding a ACOK klub in the spring though.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Well in a general thread people would just have to use spoilers and be clear which chapter they were discussing before it etc.  Though I suppose that would be hard with this book since Martin stupidly doesn't number his chapters!  I guess people could list location numbers.

But fair point!

It's seems most want a club, so go ahead with that route.  I'll likely just wait until I finish to check it out as I read books pretty slowly since I usually only read a bit at night before sleeping so it's hard for me to keep up with a book club most of the time.  Especially this time as I'm in the middle of a 5 book series that I doubt I'll finish before the 12th.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
MichelleR said:
I'd like to start at the beginning. The only conversation I've had on AGoT was with people at IMDB, and I'm still a little twitchy. I want to discuss with you guys!
Pretty much how I feel about it. Most conversations about it can get pretty fraught. I'd love to have one here. Whether it's the whole series (which I'd LOVE) or ADWD, I'll take part, but ADWD should not start obviously until at least the middle of July.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
jason10mm said:
The only problem with a general ADWD thread is that NO ONE should enter it until they finish the book. Seems to me the value of a book klub is that we can explore and speculate together, getting a deeper read the first time through, rather than blitzing the book and having to go back to catch the little details.
Good point.

I vote (again) for both ;D, but definitely for ADwD to start in July. Especially since we already have a volunteer moderator (thanks, Jason!).

N :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I think we are on track to start a ADWD klub in mid July. Then, if it goes well, we will jump back and start a whole ASOIAF klub. This is gonna be a bit of a commitment, so you guys who want to start the series, just hang in there :) I anticipate (if it is left up to me) ADWD running from mid July to the end of August, then AGOT in Oct-Nov, ACOK in Jan-Feb (so we will be done before the second season of GoT starts in March(?)), ASOS in Spring, and AFFC next summer. Then we can run back around to ADWD for the newcomers around this time next year, if anyone is left :) I think some breaks are in order as these books are LONG, plus Martin does not make it easy as he typically has 5-6 simultaneous stories going at once and jumps POV with each unnumbered chapter. So we are going to have to divvy the books up based on kindle location and chapter character. If we have an enthusiastic bunch maybe we can do the Dunk and Egg shorts between main books as a palate cleanser.

For those who don't know, ASOIAF is set mostly in Westeros, a very rich, layered land loosely based on feudal europe. Magic is rare/legendary, there are no elves, goblin, hobbits, or dragons except at the far fringes of the story. It is a "low fantasy" world more concerned about interpersonal conflict and politics than heroic destiny and good triumphing over evil. Martin's writing style is designed to mislead and infer information, rather than spell things outright, so this is a plus and a minus for a klub. I have a pretty extensive supplemental material collection and there are several excellent online sites devoted to all things Westeros. So there will be a lot of things that may seem confusing at first that are elaborated on later, particularly with the significant backstory of the main characters. I'll try to balance clearing up confusion with not depriving new readers from the wonderful "AH-HAH!" moments that are dropped throughout the series. Be aware, Martin is an ADULT writer, so there is modern cursing, moderately explicit sex, rape, incest, and a decent amount of gore. This is reflected in the HBO series. We can't shy away from discussing this stuff, though certainly we will adhere to forum rules here.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This sounds great Jason -- thank you for taking this on! 8)  I can't wait to start discussing the new book, and by October I might even be ready to start a complete re-read AGAIN along with the Klub!  I was thinking of reading the Dunk and Egg stories again too (it's been years) -- I have the two Legends anthologies in hardback, but I don't have the Warriors one (so never read the 3rd story).  I sure wish there was a way to get that story individually -- $15 is a lot to spend for the Kindle edition of the anthology. :(  Well, if there's a possibility that we'll discuss those as a Klub I'll just wait!

But anyway, very excited to start discussing the new book -- so many questions and theories to be addressed! ;D

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
jason10mm said:
Ok, I think we are on track to start a ADWD klub in mid July. Then, if it goes well, we will jump back and start a whole ASOIAF klub. This is gonna be a bit of a commitment, so you guys who want to start the series, just hang in there :) I anticipate (if it is left up to me) ADWD running from mid July to the end of August, then AGOT in Oct-Nov, ACOK in Jan-Feb (so we will be done before the second season of GoT starts in March(?)), ASOS in Spring, and AFFC next summer. Then we can run back around to ADWD for the newcomers around this time next year, if anyone is left :) I think some breaks are in order as these books are LONG, plus Martin does not make it easy as he typically has 5-6 simultaneous stories going at once and jumps POV with each unnumbered chapter. So we are going to have to divvy the books up based on kindle location and chapter character. If we have an enthusiastic bunch maybe we can do the Dunk and Egg shorts between main books as a palate cleanser.

For those who don't know, ASOIAF is set mostly in Westeros, a very rich, layered land loosely based on feudal europe. Magic is rare/legendary, there are no elves, goblin, hobbits, or dragons except at the far fringes of the story. It is a "low fantasy" world more concerned about interpersonal conflict and politics than heroic destiny and good triumphing over evil. Martin's writing style is designed to mislead and infer information, rather than spell things outright, so this is a plus and a minus for a klub. I have a pretty extensive supplemental material collection and there are several excellent online sites devoted to all things Westeros. So there will be a lot of things that may seem confusing at first that are elaborated on later, particularly with the significant backstory of the main characters. I'll try to balance clearing up confusion with not depriving new readers from the wonderful "AH-HAH!" moments that are dropped throughout the series. Be aware, Martin is an ADULT writer, so there is modern cursing, moderately explicit sex, rape, incest, and a decent amount of gore. This is reflected in the HBO series. We can't shy away from discussing this stuff, though certainly we will adhere to forum rules here.
One clarification to what Westeros is based on. It is based mainly on England and seems to be about the period of the War of the Roses, based on clothing, politics and military strategy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts