Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Many of our guests, and registered members, are newcomers to Kindle. Often newcomers will ask questions that have been asked many times before.

In many forums, these newcomers get welcomed with impatient replies, telling them to search for the answer, read the manual, or otherwise find an answer their question. This can discourage newcomers who are new to the whole forum experience, and who feel they got unjustly criticized after bothering to register with us and to post their query.

We want to be a welcoming place for newcomers.

We also value our more experienced members. We recognize, and want to minimize, the frustration that more experienced members may have of seeing the same questions pop up time after time.

Here's a suggested approach for dealing with this. We hope that this will have the effect of giving newcomers a friendly answer, while at the same "training" them on how to find similar answers on their own.

Please take a look, and let us know of any comments or feedback you may have. Thank you!

- Harvey

KINDLEBOARDS Proposed Code of Conduct for Interacting with Newcomers

A. We are putting a FAQ sticky post at the top of the "Kindle Tips & Tricks" board. (Leslie is well-qualified to do that as a co-author of the Kindle FAQ book...!)

That sticky post will list the most commonly-asked questions that we hear from people new to Kindle. The post will also have a link to the Kindle FAQ downloadable book. The post will also have instructions on how to search the forums effectively.

B. When a newcomer asks a question whose answer is well-documented, someone (either a moderator or any member) will:
1 - Welcome the newcomer
2 - Answer the question courteously
3 - Point them to the sticky post (or to another post if applicable) that contains that answer
4 - Do the above promptly, before other forum members jump in and tell them to go away and read the manual. :)

C. If the same newcomer continues to ask questions that are easily found in the forums, we will simply point them to the sticky post (or other post) that has the answer - rather than answering it directly in our replies.

(Updated to correct the board location of the FAQ. - Admin)

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds wonderful. Hope it works. This is such an unusual forum. Would love to see it stay as it is, but continue to grow in membership.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks, Lucky. Harvey, I stickied this so folks will see it and chime in with their feedback.

Leslie

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I think it's a great idea.  The newcomer has no way of knowing that his or her question has been asked a gazillion times before and it is pretty disheartening to be shot down in flames, when in reality, he or she is probably posting in an excess of excitement over getting a new Kindle.  (I did computer user support for ages, and have answered many many dumb questions and solved many many dumb problems.  (Is it plugged in?  Uh, no....  or Is it turned on?  Uh, no....  'Nuff said.)  Great policy!!!! 

Good job, folks!  I love what I've seen in the short time I've been on this board--you're doing a good job adjusting to its rapid growth.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jmiked said:
Harvey is no fun at all. ;D ;D

But seriously, folk... great idea!
With great power comes great responsibility. I'm holding back my inner megalomaniac though. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
As Harvey noted, I am going to be creating a post with the Top Twenty All Time Frequently Asked Questions (or maybe 25). I don't want to retype my book in the post but I do want to really address the top questions newcomers have in their minds. So...if you could think back to when you first got your Kindle, whether it was 20 minutes ago or 11 months, what were your most pressing questions? Post them here, I'll keep track and will use them for guidance.

NOTE: I am not going to answer the questions! I just want to get some consensus on the most important ones of all.

L

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't hold back, Harvey. You are our intrepid leader. We bow before you.

Gotta' say, I fully support the idea of making newbies feel welcome   ;)

Kat

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I just became a Jr. Member with my last post!  I bought and have been reading Leslie's FAQ book.  I'm still reading, but might have a question.  Some of what I've been reading on the boards though almost has me scared to ask.  ???

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Congrats on being a junior member! I still have to ask questions after 6 weeks of having my Kindle. Don't be scared, I think one of the goals of this great forum is to keep it friendly. Liked the pic of the bookstore and like your Kindle's name.

Linda

·
Registered
509 Posts
I advocate a merciless hazing period for all members who joined after me. Then I'll support a strict caste system where those with more stars and more seniority can malign and impugn all those of lower rank. And of course I would expect to be provided a mechanism to bribe the moderators in order to gain special, favorable treatment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Harvey said:
jmiked said:
Harvey is no fun at all. ;D ;D

But seriously, folk... great idea!
With great power comes great responsibility. I'm holding back my inner megalomaniac though. :)
Holding back your inner megalomaniac is all very well and good, but... Do you have spidey sense? Or deliver pizzas? Cause that would be just as welcome..

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I finished Leslie's FAQ book, so now I'm back to reading the User's Guide.  Got my question answered (at least partially) there.  :)  So I'll keep reading that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First post here. Thank you for setting posting guidelines. On the other forums that I frequent the admin/mods do an outstanding job of keeping the conversation and content civil for all. Makes for a much nicer reading and learning environment. I'm looking forward to making a contribution!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I've tampered my steam:  I've been behaving.  My last few replies on the forum have been very courteous.  I was, I admit, one of the hot heads who answered less than politely:  Only for a few days after Oprah.  But I'm calm now and on my best behavior. I humbly apologize to those whom I have offended.

Enjoy your Kindle...it's the one thing we all have in common; we love our Kindles.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RovingSoul said:
Harvey said:
Holding back your inner megalomaniac is all very well and good, but... Do you have spidey sense? Or deliver pizzas? Cause that would be just as welcome..
Unfortunately, I have much more in common with Peter Parker than I do with Spiderman. *sigh*

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Wicked said:
First post here. Thank you for setting posting guidelines. On the other forums that I frequent the admin/mods do an outstanding job of keeping the conversation and content civil for all. Makes for a much nicer reading and learning environment. I'm looking forward to making a contribution!
Welcome, Wicked! Glad to have you here. Go introduce yourself over on the Introductions & Welcome forum.

L

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for this direction, Harvey.  I can always tell a well-managed board by the way newbs are treated.  Perhaps not surprisingly, the boards that show integrity in dealing with newcomers are also the ones with eventual longevity.  Nastiness tends to burn itself out.

Thanks for making this board a class act.  Great to be here :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Teninx said:
I advocate a merciless hazing period for all members who joined after me. Then I'll support a strict caste system where those with more stars and more seniority can malign and impugn all those of lower rank. And of course I would expect to be provided a mechanism to bribe the moderators in order to gain special, favorable treatment.
Teninx- I share your admiration for Faraday. May he be your shield when you are having a R(u)F time!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts