Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Newbie here looking for comments suggestions on two book covers I created with Canva. This is my first novel, so not really sure about hiring someone to create a cover for a book that likely will sell few to no copies. So I decided to make my own.

My first novel is based on a character (Jimmy Mancini) that is a former Mafia Capo that is now in WitSec and decided to become a PI to give back for his wrong doings. He mostly has done divorce, cheating, and some corporate embezzlement cases. Nothing overly sophisticated. But he is hired by a mysterious guy to find a stolen painting. A murder takes place around the same time as the painting heist. The theft and murder overlap forcing him and an FBI agent that dislike each other to work together to solve the art heist and the murder, that ends up having a corrupt political twist.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to contributing to this forum.

*Note for some reason I cannot get the insert image to work with the link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4C76i9CHuKvmLuLT8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NsbvJoEU8K9b3LiJ6

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep second. Not necessarily sold on the art heist pitch, but your description in regard to the wit sec mafioso and the fbi counterpart working together  already had me smiling, intrigued for the story within!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. Going to roll with the 2nd one. My wife chose that one too. So...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. Going to roll with the 2nd one. My wife chose that one too. So...
This may be better. I am going to use this or something close to it for the back cover blurb.

"The former Boston Mobster Jimmy De Luca is now Phoenix Private Investigator Jimmy Mancini, thanks to the Federal Witness Protection Program. After years of living a life of crime as a Capo in La Cosa Nostra, he has vowed to give back as a Private Investigator. After ten years of mundane PI jobs, Jimmy is hired by a mysterious man who claims to be an employee for a wealthy, but secretive man who is the victim of a very precise art heist. This throws Jimmy into a world of murder, intrigue and corruption. Just like the old days, except this time he is one of the good guys!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marseille said:
#2. Is there a reason you do not have the main character on the cover? Perhaps his back towards us, or a profile?
Thanks for the feedback. I looked for a character to put on the book, but after scouring countless images I couldn't find one of a person that represented what I picture my character to look and dress like. The gangester images are cliche 40's and 50's mob dress or just down right goofy. The Detective and PI's are all wearing fedora's or sherlock holmes hats and trench coats. None of that fits a modern day PI who used to be a mobster. Turns out its a bit of tough find. The same goes for the profile. They were all seemingly plays off the same stereotype. Then expanding my search, it just seemed everyone was either a GQ model in the images or some goofy fat dude acting a fool in the picture. So I chose to leave it alone and use the image I did who could either be the robber or the investigator. Leave it up to the reader's imaginination.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wearywanderer64 said:
The second one by a mile. Though I'm not keen on the font and its position.
I changed to that font at the last minute. I guess it's a taste thing, but the generic Sans font used in mystery novels seemed boring to me. So I used that for everything but the actual title and subtitle. I appreciate and thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I hear ya. It took me forever to find a woman to use for my "Abduction of Nelly Don" cover that would fit. That story takes place in late 30's. It was also tiring, and with few choices, to find someone for my Montgomery Vale books which take place in 40s.

I know you don't want to spend a lot of $ on your first cover, but there are quality designers out there who charge reasonable rates and are tasked with finding the right image.

Good luck with your first book. Awesome!

C.M.GUY said:
Thanks for the feedback. I looked for a character to put on the book, but after scouring countless images I couldn't find one of a person that represented what I picture my character to look and dress like. The gangester images are cliche 40's and 50's mob dress or just down right goofy. The Detective and PI's are all wearing fedora's or sherlock holmes hats and trench coats. None of that fits a modern day PI who used to be a mobster. Turns out its a bit of tough find. The same goes for the profile. They were all seemingly plays off the same stereotype. Then expanding my search, it just seemed everyone was either a GQ model in the images or some goofy fat dude acting a fool in the picture. So I chose to leave it alone and use the image I did who could either be the robber or the investigator. Leave it up to the reader's imaginination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts