Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing research for the effects of a slow apocalypse on our world. Can anyone suggest resources, books, movies?
What I means is this. Most post apocalyptic books I've read, and most of those "prepper" sites" assume a single, devastating, fairly quick apocalypse.  Nuclear war, meteor strike, whatever it is, a big event that would devastate our world.

But what about (a more likely scenario) where we run out of certain resources, and things start falling apart more slowly? Is set in the middle of that collapse? Civil society keeps tottering along to some extent, but central control erodes? Electricity, water etc become rare resources? Are there any books like this?

The only thing I can think of is to research existing places like Lagos, that are already pretty anarchic, to see how such a society might work.

· Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JanneCO said:
Or....instead of focusing on resources you can focus on people. I have two words. Roman Empire. Things deteriorating from within is a more likely scenario than running out of electricity - which is impossible. Ditto for water. Electricity might become harder to make and you might have less of it, but you can't actually run out of electricity. Or water. The whole conservation of mass thing gets in the way, not to mention the water cycle. Somewhere on Earth, there is a crapload of freshwater. It might not be where your story takes place, but it doesn't disappear.
Fair enough, I should have phrased it as "access to resources" :)

· Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions  :)

My main,concern is that I don't really understand the way our world works well enough, to understand what would happen if - say - the local government fell apart (here in South Africa of course) or how people would cope if petrol ran out, all the various consequences it would have.

I already know the basic plot, and know more it less what precipitates the disaster.

I think my best bet, as has been suggested, is looking at actual places like Haiti or Lagos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.