Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know if graphene is heat resistant?

How do you do your research? I'm sure we all do it - I love historical fiction and sincerely HOPE that the writers have done their homework. Beyond Google, where do you go? Do you have experts that you draw upon, either in person or via their web presence?

I learned all about the sphenoid bone yesterday and continue my study of quantum mechanics, especially where entanglement is concerned. Very important if you can't go faster than light.

I sometimes wonder if we should create a pool of our own experts here. Everyone has knowledge about something, be that raising dobermans or civil war weaponry. Sometimes Google isn't enough to get a 'real' feel for a subject.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Google is often the starting point, but never the end point in my research. I typically read a dozen or so non-fiction books that specialize in the era/location I'm writing about at the moment.

If I'm researching a singular point like, petticoat mirrors, I will probably rely on Google. However, I will always look for multiple sources and never rely on sites like eHow, Helium, About or any other aggregator. I also call museums and universities for details that are elusive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been working with a post-apocalyptic setting for the last few years. The characters use and barter material left over from the "good times", but often in new ways. I've found Google a godsend - couldn't imagine finding outside of the internet the bits of information I need almost daily. The main problem is getting sucked into the research topic (e.g. renaissance weapons) and spending far too much time on the research thread.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Quiss said:
So does anyone know if graphene is heat resistant?

How do you do your research? I'm sure we all do it - I love historical fiction and sincerely HOPE that the writers have done their homework. Beyond Google, where do you go? Do you have experts that you draw upon, either in person or via their web presence?

I learned all about the sphenoid bone yesterday and continue my study of quantum mechanics, especially where entanglement is concerned. Very important if you can't go faster than light.

I sometimes wonder if we should create a pool of our own experts here. Everyone has knowledge about something, be that raising dobermans or civil war weaponry. Sometimes Google isn't enough to get a 'real' feel for a subject.
I very rarely use Google for research. It pulls up too much trash to be useful to me. A very substantial portion of what is on the internet is wildly inaccurate. Oddly enough, I use books.

What I have sitting next to my laptop right this minute? GWS Barrow's Robert Bruce and the Community of the Realm of Scotland, The Chronicle of Landercost 1272-1346, The Chronicles of England France and Spain by Sir John Froissart, The True Chronicles of Jean Le Bel, and Scotichronicon by Walter Bower.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The research is a killer. Not the least of which is the fact that it's so damned interesting you end up spending a couple of hours reading more than you needed to instead of writing.

This past month I've been researching quantum physics, diamond planets, medieval famines and space weather, 15th century French castles and exotic circus animals of past eras. I have a mile of notes and references and vague imaginings. J.R., I've bought some books on topics from experts in a field, but the same authors of those books are also online talking about their subjects and giving information. But yes, there's also a lot of stuff that you can't find online.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yep, the library is key for me and I'm about to spend A LOT of time in there research climate manipulation and how it would positively and adversely affect regions across the planet. I'm sure it'll be interesting, but I'm sure I'll be needing A LOT of caffeine!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Anya said:
The research is a killer. Not the least of which is the fact that it's so damned interesting you end up spending a couple of hours reading more than you needed to instead of writing.

This past month I've been researching quantum physics, diamond planets, medieval famines and space weather, 15th century French castles and exotic circus animals of past eras. I have a mile of notes and references and vague imaginings. J.R., I've bought some books on topics from experts in a field, but the same authors of those books are also online talking about their subjects and giving information. But yes, there's also a lot of stuff that you can't find online.
Most of the experts I read aren't online talking since they have been dead for more than 500 years. I rather doubt that Jean le Bel is posting. ;)

Dr. Barrow, DLitt FBA, FRSE, Professor Emeritus at the University of Edinburgh, and certainly the most prominent living Scottish medievalist, doesn't post online that I've ever seen. The real experts are often too busy to do so.

Sometimes you can find snippets of information online. However, you have to already be knowledgeable enough to have some idea what you are looking at in order to know whether it's accurate or not.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
jdfield said:
Ask me a question about sperm whales... :)
Lol, we should totally do a 'list your expertise' thread. I'm particularly knowledgeable about sea urchins and green turtles. Now who needs to know about them? Anyone? *tumbleweed blows across screen*

Geoff

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
My first book, I didn't have access to anyone who could give me real info. (CIA about holding American enemy combatants), but I did find several documents that had just recently (at that time) been declassified. It's been awhile, but I think I found some of the links on an ACLU website. Government stuff especially.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Lately, I've been enjoying reading college textbooks in the areas I'm researching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.